Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the reason we do this right ... to chase a flag?

I don't want to rob Cripps of an opportunity to win a flag. He's a generational player and he deserves us to go full throated at a flag, not hold something back in case we fail and bottom out again. He stayed loyal to us and kills himself week in, week out.

I'd rather try and fail than never try at all.
We saw how lethal we are in full flight already until injuries killed us. Best 22 and playing good footy we can beat anyone. We have the Campo boys coming and Andy Walkers son the year after.

Chasing a 29yo Petracca for Harry is not a good list move right now.

We have a team full of players who don't want to leave the club. This is a credit to the club and the culture we have developed. It can also a breeding ground for complacency as players only have to play to a certain standard to justify their position at the club, and no more.

We know that Cripps is untouchable at Carlton, but he isn't playing for his spot at the club. He is playing for success. There are a few others who strive to get the best out of themselves every week. Do they all though? Do some players seem too comfortable doing the bare minimum in keeping with their status? I don't know, but sometimes it feels that way.

In 2007, Carlton decided they needed to try something to get themselves out of the doldrums. They recruited Chris Judd and forced Josh Kennedy to the Eagles. The trade was a win/win for different reasons.

I don't like the idea that Cripps, Curnow, Walsh, Weitering and McKay are untouchable. I mean, some are more untouchable than others based on lack of depth, but only Cripps is untouchable based on leadership and drive IMO. He is definitely the Chris Judd of this generation.

IMO Petracca is at a similar level to Cripps as far as the drive to achieve team success. I feel like adding him (and Houston) and a reasonable injury run, makes us instant flag favourites next season.

If we lose a gun forward, then we still have one, plus Kemp, plus Moir. Fairly dynamic and quick forward line I think.

I'll have to trust the club on something like this. These things hurt, but maybe we supporters also become too comfortable with getting close to our players at the expense of winning flags.

This club lost Alex Jesaulenko, Brett Crosswell, Brendan Fevola, Jarrad Waite, Zach Tuohy, Ken Sheldon, Alex Marcou, Bryce Gibbs etc .... all much loved Carlton players.

This is football and I am open to all possibilities for the right reasons.
To me, McKay, Weitering & Cripps are untouchable.

Harry McKay works just as hard and has taken his game to the next level every bit as much as Cripps has this year. He has addressed his kicking, works tirelessly, up and down the ground, rucks as required, and has slimmed down to build a big tank. A complete clubman who sacrificed a potentially bigger paycheck to stay here. He is probably my equal fav to the skipper.

I love Petracca (though there is no guarantee he is going to be the same player after such a huge injury), but if we traded a Heart and Soul player in McKay to go after Petracca, my membership would definitely end with that trade.

Sam McClure …

‘Eagles definitely won’t pick Harley Reid’
‘Dusty heading off to the Suns’

I get that McClure is hit and miss.

But Tom Morris gets very strong Melbourne mail and lots of other journos are running with the story.

Sam McClure 🙄

‘Eagles definitely won’t pick Harley Reid’
‘Dusty heading off to the Suns’

What an absolute POS McClure is. He is adding fuel to this, creating the story even, just to build his own profile.

This is the reason we do this right ... to chase a flag?

I don't want to rob Cripps of an opportunity to win a flag. He's a generational player and he deserves us to go full throated at a flag, not hold something back in case we fail and bottom out again. He stayed loyal to us and kills himself week in, week out.

I'd rather try and fail than never try at all.
Harry was also Carlton loyal when he signed a 5/6 year contract for 'supposedly' less than market value.
Why would H even consider moving to Melbourne?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We saw how lethal we are in full flight already until injuries killed us. Best 22 and playing good footy we can beat anyone. We have the Campo boys coming and Andy Walkers son the year after.

Chasing a 29yo Petracca for Harry is not a good list move right now.

Our game plan was lethal for a while, but it wasn't injuries that killed us. It happened before that. Our game plan revolves largely around role players and an unsustainable pressure index rating over 200.

When any team adds a dynamic mix to their 6-6-6 midfield set up, we are incredibly vulnerable. We lack burst. This is why we fans hung our hats on Paddy Dow last year. He just lacked defensive nous and power.

I believe we need a different mix to go to when our clearance game breaks down. I also believe our game plan absolutely wastes key forward potential. It feels like Harry and Charlie give up a lot out of frustration. We have 2 Coleman medallists, let's just get it there and let them do the rest.

IMO we look a whole lot better when there is nuance to our game and an ability to adapt. This requires smart players. Petracca and Houston definitely fit this bill.

I don't subscribe to any theory that says Petracca at 29 has less time left in the game than Harry at 27. Professional mids can go on an awfully long time.

Last edited:
So trading our soul and future for Trac and Houston by the sounds. Zero idea how it gets done but moving on Harry wouldn't be a great idea. I mean, how're you gonna convince him to go to that rabble?

I don't think we'll trade Harry or Charlie.

But I do think that Melbourne want a key forward, and if there was one from another club, and we could unlock that in some way, it could work.

Trade periods always about your overall outcome, not specific trades

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

Harry was also Carlton loyal when he signed a 5/6 year contract for 'supposedly' less than market value.

He won’t. People need to stop stressing. His name was mentioned purely because
a) that’s what Melbourne would initially ask for and
b) because it drives media clicks

H will be at Carlton next year. If there is real turmoil at the Dees then there’s not much chance Petracca fronts up for them next year. They’ll end up in a situation where they have to trade reluctantly and picks will be central to that to start a rebuild.

Listen carefullyvto Sam McClure speak and none of it is ever stated as fact or something he has heard verbatim, but rather gaps in a story which he has filled with his own narrative.

"It's my belief"
"As I sit here tonight"

Or my favourite is when he states something to then immediately say "I'm not saying that it will necessarily happen but i think it might"... I.e. "I'm going to cover myself for the completely fabricated story I just told"

I have no idea why he would consider moving. It would a very delicate thing if he was not open to a move at all, and we could ruin our relationship with him by suggesting it. I get that.

The main difference between Cripps and any of our other players, is how many times he throws us on his back and wills himself to win. The others don't do that anywhere near as consistently, and they are not kids anymore.

I have no idea what is happening behind the scenes. I'm just saying I am very much open to doing what needs to be done to have success.

I'm not going to convince anybody else that disagrees and that is okay. I'm no less a fan of Harry as a Carlton player. I'm just more of a fan of the Carlton Football Club. I wouldn't go and recruit a ratbag chasing a flag, but I would recruit a genuine star of the competition, who also has drive and leadership and a hell of a lot of professionalism, and knows how to win.

I'm not even saying Harry would be my first choice for a trade for Petracca, out of all of our gun players.

We are not trading for a 25yo Petracca.

He is 29 and coming off a major injury.
Trade capital required would be significant but maybe not as hefty as everyone suggests.

If the relationship with the club is really damaged… something like this years 1st and some pick shuffling (the magnitude of which may be determined by his contract and the extent to which the cost to the incoming club is defrayed) might just get it done…

Listen carefullyvto Sam McClure speak and none of it is ever stated as fact or something he has heard verbatim, but rather gaps in a story which he has filled with his own narrative.

"It's my belief"
"As I sit here tonight"

Or my favourite is when he states something to then immediately say "I'm not saying that it will necessarily happen but i think it might"... I.e. "I'm going to cover myself for the completely fabricated story I just told"
family guy summer GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back