Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'd all prefer that... but in what world does Melbourne take Cerra (a guy who is struggling to even get on the park) and some speculative picks for a game changer like Petracca?

They will demand one of Harry, TDK or Charlie and rightly so...
Furthermore cerra vs petracca salaries are a touch different ….

'Charlie or Harry or bust' is an opening position, not a final one. If Harry is ruled out as an option, I'm not sure the larger story is going to disappear.

If Petracca were to come to us, then the mid who obviously becomes surplus to requirements is Hewett. Similar age, no particular point of difference compared to our other mids despite being a good player. We'd almost be forced to offload him just for list balance reasons.

Personally I'm wary of loading up with too many high-dollar players. And I don't want to lose Harry or Charlie (if it came down to it, I'd rather keep H). But Trac is an absolute gun. It's a tough call either way.

If Petracca was to come and harry was to stay and I’d suggest we would kiss TDK goodbye as there would be much left for his payday.

If Petracca does come I suspect TDK will be the central piece of the deal, he may just get a deal put his way very soon of many years and if he says he’ll hold out the club then has a decision to make….

Being OOC with a year left in a FA year to boot, the club would like to be 100% sure he’s hanging around

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gawn is the best Ruckman in the league, arguably ever, and doesn't resort to the rubbish thuggery of those hacks.
I dont want ours to either, I want them to learn how to deal with those types of rucks, Briggs, Nankervis, etc.
I want our Rucks to harden up, to have a bit of steel about them, to stop being Nice guys.

What could we get for the following players?

Cerra
Kennedy
Hewett
Kemp
Motlop
Owies
Young
McGovern

Surely some picks from trading a few of them combined with our own draft picks would be enough to get something close to satisfactory for the Dees.

Not saying to trade them all but I'd certainly look at each and every one of them before trading Harry.

If I'm the Dees and Petracca left idk why they wouldn't be looking to refresh the list with youth anyway? Trac leaving is essentially the instant end to their 'window' whether they get Harry or not.

I like the 4T3, sounds like I'm a droid from star wars.

Curnow is 194cm... Taylor is 198cm, Moore is 203cm, Harris Andrews is 202cm, Pearce is 201cm.
Yes Charlie is a star, no doubt, but we've seen against good teams when Harry has been out, he struggles a bit because he gets wrestled by 1 defender and is out marked if he doesn't get a run and jump at the ball.

Kemp I prefer as a forward, Moir I agree looks like the perfect replacement for Martin.

But I really think some people underestimate the impact having someone that is 204cm, is a very good contested mark, and is the quickest player over 60m at our club, taken out of the team.

When we played the Pies last year without Harry, Charlie kicked 6...

Not many teams are equipped to defend two A grade forwards.

Whilst true, how many teams are equipped to deal with Cripps and Petracca?

I cast my mind back to round 0 this year and remember Brisbane having to move Andrews from one to the other. That's our point of difference.

That's been the formula for most of the GF winners over the last decade, even if they aren't kicking the goals, they halving contests.

JC and Hawkins
Jack and Lynch
Buddy and Roughead
Darling and Kennedy

Some people will agree others will disagree.

Hawks won 2 more flags after Buddy left..

Pies only had Mihocek...

Demons had who? Fritsch? He wasn't the difference maker in that game.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying flags have been won without two dominant key forwards as well.

The common denominator is they all have really strong midfields. Ours still has too much reliance on Cripps. Cerra can't get on the park, Walsh has had a down year, Hewett is a solid contributor as is Kennedy. Cerra is the only one out of those four who you'd trust delivering the ball i50.

It's no surprise that when we hit our form slump, it was the midfield that was letting us down the most...

But as I said earlier and McKay has specifically asked for the trade, I think it would have an overall negative effect on the club.

This will be the biggest hurdle in getting the trade done imo. Harry loves the club, he won't want to leave. But I really doubt if it happens that it'll have a negative impact on the club.

How did the Hawks go after losing Buddy Franklin?

That's all people need to remember. I love Harry, but if it takes trading him to bring Petracca over... I'm not totally against it.
The Hawks had already just won a flag, and they didn’t trade Buddy, they tried to keep him. Even though they had Roughead, Gunston and 2 all time great small forwards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So after having very little presence in the last few off seasons we're potentially going to land

Petracca, Houston and Leek Aleer?

How the hell do we get all those deals done?

Trac -> Harry
Houston -> Pick 11 (with some other picks shuffled around to sweeten the deal for Port)
Aleer -> Future 2nd

Technically the post doesn't say Petracca is coming to Carlton - just that he is leaving

i just dont see how any team other than Carlton could facilitate a trade. Obviously, a north or Richmond could but why would both they and Petracca want to? If he really wants to leave he should consider going up to the Gold Coast.

So after having very little presence in the last few off seasons we're potentially going to land

Petracca, Houston and Leek Aleer?

How the hell do we get all those deals done?

Trac -> Harry
Houston -> Pick 11 (with some other picks shuffled around to sweeten the deal for Port)
Aleer -> Future 2nd
Yep and a future fourth for Bontempelli and a 2023 3rd rounder

i just dont see how any team other than Carlton could facilitate a trade. Obviously, a north or Richmond could but why would both they and Petracca want to? If he really wants to leave he should consider going up to the Gold Coast.

Weren’t Melbourne interested in Lynch? Pretty sure I read that today.

Could very easily do a deal with them, and Richmond are a big club.

I agree that we are one of the few clubs that could facilitate a trade - I just don't think it's a net positive move for us. Based on the reports Petracca wants to play for a big Melbourne club and in front of big crowds so that would rule out teams like GC.

The Hawks had already just won a flag, and they didn’t trade Buddy, they tried to keep him. Even though they had Roughead, Gunston and 2 all time great small forwards.

Regardless, my point stands...

I didn't say they traded Buddy, I said they lost Buddy who let's be honest was a level above what Harry is now...

Of course they didn't want to lose him. But when they did, they moved on and won another 2 flags.

I think we'd all prefer that... but in what world does Melbourne take Cerra (a guy who is struggling to even get on the park) and some speculative picks for a game changer like Petracca?

They will demand one of Harry, TDK or Charlie and rightly so...

Yeah they can ask for those guys. We won’t entertain it. We’d be open to Petracca but not if it means losing a key piece. Picks would be what gets it done or we pull out of the running. Let’s be real, the Dees need picks more than they need a 27 year old key forward if they’re starting a rebuild. Else they think they’re still in contention next year.

They are also within their right to hold him to his contract. Good luck keeping a guy who doesn’t want to be there though and when other players don’t want him there - essentially a quote from footy classified tonight. ‘Several demons think it’s better that he move on because damage has been done’. It barely ever works out holding a legitimately disgruntled player. I’m not talking homesick as a reason. I’m talking medical negligence, rifts with players for taking a holiday to Noosa during recovery, fallout from the Oliver situation, the Smith drugs issue, the coach and game plan etc.

Under these circumstances if a player is forced to stay they could easily go through the motions and not give it their all. It can cause rifts with other players. Things can spiral out of control. Under normal circumstances they’d hold the whip hand with him being contracted but if the articles and reports are to be believed, then there’s not much chance of him returning to them next year with fractured relationships and all. Clubs would be aware of this which diminishes the Dees bargaining power. I think the issues stem quite deep and I think there may be a bigger fallout than just Petracca at the Dees.

Also on Cerra, he finished super high up in our B&F last year.. I think this years injuries have made us all forget how good he actually is. Melbourne if they got him (and picks) would be getting a guy with more years ahead and more chance of being in their next premiership tilt.

Last edited:
What state is he coming in? Jimmae, there is no future risk with his injury. It was a massive risk at the time. He had surgery, it is repaired, it is no longer any more vulnerable than with anyone else in any other contact sport.
We're both commenting without knowing the extent of the arterial damage and the quality of the repair. Similar thing happened to Lloyd but he was at the start of his career, not towards the end, and he apparently lost 8 kgs in the process.

Is there any update on his status since the surgery?

Hawks won 3 flags after buddy left. They lost the 2012 final against Sydney.
Two, but the Hawks had a massive talent ID advantage, a system that exploited the competition at the time, and a coach that knew exactly what he wanted from each player without over-instructing them.

Not sure we have any of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back