Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'll preface this by saying we need to be paying Owies and keeping him and its offensive that he hasn't been presented with an offer yet. We literally have no proven smalls coming in and performing like he has been.

But what would his value be in a trade as a 33-goal a year small forward?

Think we need to be wary of conflating "no contract offer yet" with "pushing him out the door" as seems to be a general assumption. We're clearly kicking a few tyres with players on the market, so there is every possibility that the messaging to Owies is "there will be an offer, but you're one of a few out of contract players who still need to be re-signed, so we're just gonna need to sit tight until we see where everything else falls before we can commit to a number".

Now, if that's the case, he may choose to take that as us undervaluing him, or preferencing other players, and if he elects to explore his options and find another home then that's his prerogative. But if he waits it out, it could still go multiple directions - we could secure a Houston, Owies contract offer could take a hit, but the team he's playing for has improved on-field in the off-season and he might be happy to take unders to hang around (or not). Alternatively, we could get nobody of note, and the result might be that we can actually give him a bit of a bump to his contract next year instead, or front/back-end it in a way that aligns with future list strategy.

As far as value goes - I think a club would pay somewhere around pick 30 for him if they wanted him. He's not going to appeal to every club though.

And if he does leave, I think we can cover it. As has been said numerous times, he's not your typical small forward, he's an undersized KPP in the way he plays. If he was a Bobby Hill type we'd have locked him away for the next 5 years already. He's not, and if he goes we can slot JSOS back in, or give Moir an extended run, or swing Boyd forward, or any of a number of options which probably help the forward structure to the tune of the 30 goals that Owies may kick.

So Nick Watson isn't helping Hawthorn this year? Oli Hollands didn't help us last year (a Pick #11 btw)?

Plenty of first year players have made impacts, including those such as Will Ashcroft an Nic Daicos (albeit higher selections than 11).

If we select well Pick #11 very well could help us win a flag.

We should be prioritizing draft picks this year and using our picks next season for any trades.

A Pick #11 this year will help us a hell of a lot more for next years games than a pick in 2025.

We've got a promising core of young players in the 23 and under bracket. Kemp, Hollands, Hollands, Motlop, Binns, Cowan, Lord and Moir the most promising. We should try and get another strong pick into that group while using future picks to bolster our performance right now.

The statement was 'win a flag'....

The Hawks will not win it this year or the next 2 years, they will have to get a bonified STAR in to light the flame. Their game plan will be pulled apart over summer, just like ours was.

Ashcroft and Daicos are PICK 1's and F/S and they played away from the middle.

Moir the only stand out, the others make up the numbers and could easily be done in a couple of years...

Owies has been pushing for a contract for weeks and wants to stay. Carlton have yet to offer him anything

I find this strange especially since we gave Durdin Fogarty & Cottrell got 2 year extensions
May well be that Owies wants as much as the other three together. Can see Durds off a down year playing for small base plus match payments, expect Cottrell would be similar, Fog perhaps a little more.

The killer is that a thirty plus goals per season small forward is looking at half a million or likely more in wages(see Schultz Freo to Magpies) With JSOS back, Kemp credentialed forward and Moir seemingly coming on, third tall forward is covered. It is well known Owies doesn’t play genuine small role.

Still believe we do not play our small forwards as such. They are too busy following defensive instructions to contemplate too much creative input. We need to embrace modern football.

I still fear if we were to draft Joe Berry or similar, Vossy and co would blunt his attacking, creative game.

So, you think they will win the flag???

It will be an all Sydney final and GWS will win!

I think you may well be right (and I would like to see that of the available options), but those 3 are still a chance with players drafted last year making a big impact.

If Giants win, it will be with 2 players drafted the year before.
Point is, draftees can make an impact pretty quickly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

will you make a cryptic mix out of them for us?

:p

No Way Do Not Want GIF by Schitt's Creek

Stringer is that unknown player you could get with a bit of ego .. but we don’t have the balls .. someone like Collingwood will get him
Watch them play off in the grand final. Stringer, Degoey forward would be a nightmare match up. This is what is wrong with Carlton. Instead we're chasing a contracted player on big money. Stringer kicked 42 goals this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back