Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hypothetically, if we trade for Geelong's pick 8, here's who would likely be available. I'm excluding the academy picks here cos they're a given.

1. Harley Reid
2. Dan Curtin
3. Colby McKercher
4. Zane Duursma
5. Nick Watson
6/7/8. Connor O'Sullivan/Nate Caddy/Riley Sanders

So it's not a given O'Sullivan would be available at that pick, or Caddy for that matter. And as good as Riley Sanders is, is he a player that fits into our list requirements?

Which is why I'd either be waiting until trade night, or just going into the trade period with our current 1st as well as what we get for Fish....or even trading down pick 17 for a couple of decent 2nd round picks.

Moving up to 8 could also see us "reach" for a player who we really like that won't get to us at 17, if the player we hope slides to 8 gets picked up early.

I'll throw Wilson and Leake in here as the kinds of names that could refer to.

If we expect them to go in the early/mid teens, but we really want one, Geelong's pick may simply represent the best/only opportunity to get in before other clubs take them.

9 - Essendon - unlikely to want to slide back
10 - Adelaide - unlikely to want to slide back
11 - Gold Coast - matching academy bid
12 - Sydney - unlikely to want to slide back
13 - St Kilda - unlikely to want to slide back
14 - Melbourne - unlikely to want to slide back
15 - North - maybe an option in the Fisher trade somehow?
16 - GWS - one spot unlikely to make a difference

If we reckon Sydney, St Kilda or Melbourne are sniffing around the player(s) we hope last to us, then getting ahead of them becomes the objective.

North have just gotten pick 25

Surely we are targeting that for Fisher (with something late going to North also)

Have to be. That'd be about perfect for Fisher.

Essentially North turn one of their F1s + pick 44 into Fisher & Stephens. Fisher is worth more than Stephens and is contracted. That's actually a pretty good deal for Sydney which suggests North aren't going to play overly hard ball.

Funny Sydney just gave up the pick that Sydney and Collingwood were fighting over for Adams and Grundy. :tearsofjoy:

Arguing with a head coach smugly after asking antagonizing questions = flog, even if the guy he was arguing with is a flog too
Recording incredibly sexist and inappropriate comments about a female co-worker and sending it to his mates = mega flog

He also gets on SEN and talks about random players in vague contexts so that he leaves enough wiggle room to back over them. He is that full of it, that I know for a fact that players he has suggested have had a medical at X club had not even stepped onto the club premises. I should know, as my friend is involved with conducting some of the medicals at said club.

Anyway, it's subjective - I think he's a flog and I reckon anyone aged 30 or under is stoked that he lost his livelihood for over a year :)

Ah... Mastered the art of Bigfooty...

Dow and fisher will go cheaply. Club in no rush to get the deals done unless it benefits us, but happy to accommodate the players requests. No interest in gresham

Suspect fisher will get done soon
So you think Fisher deal will get done soon for not much (cheap)? Appreciate the info but how does that align with the club isn't in a rush to deal unless we benefit?

Last edited:
My guy feel is Austin’s going for a KPD, then mid/fwd, with what we have targeted and what’s coming up, it seems logical to me.

Take it to the bank

Recon we're after Caddy...
IMO doubt anything would happen until draft night and only if he was available at a pick we could get...

Recon we're after Caddy...
IMO doubt anything would happen until draft night and only if he was available at a pick we could get...

I think Caddy, Duursma or Watson. Those guys all play positions that could see quickly into the side. I don't see us coughing up all our currency to take a guy like O'Sullivan who fills a future need but not a current gap in our 22. If we go all in it is because we want someone, we think can impact now to help us win a flag.

Dow and fisher will go cheaply. Club in no rush to get the deals done unless it benefits us, but happy to accommodate the players requests. No interest in gresham

That was not what Austin said on Monday re Fisher.
With the volume of picks North have now we would have to be pushing hard for something of genuine value & including swapping 17 for their 15.

Thanks for the info.

I hope that's not the case re:Fisher. I don't get the logic that just because we are happy to for someone to leave that means we just let them go cheaply. Need to get as much currency as we can give our current draft hand. Although I guess it depends on your definition of cheaply.

Dow I'm expecting next to nothing for. Not because that's what he is worth but because we have 0 leverage.

Moving up to 8 could also see us "reach" for a player who we really like that won't get to us at 17, if the player we hope slides to 8 gets picked up early.

I'll throw Wilson and Leake in here as the kinds of names that could refer to.

If we expect them to go in the early/mid teens, but we really want one, Geelong's pick may simply represent the best/only opportunity to get in before other clubs take them.

11 - Gold Coast - matching academy bid
Gold Coast's pick will almost certainly be traded.
It's interesting that we were mentioned as being interested in Geelong's pick, but not this pick?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for the info.

I hope that's not the case re:Fisher. I don't get the logic that just because we are happy to for someone to leave that means we just let them go cheaply. Need to get as much currency as we can give our current draft hand. Although I guess it depends on your definition of cheaply.

Dow I'm expecting next to nothing for. Not because that's what he is worth but because we have 0 leverage.
Based on Austin's comments on Monday for Fisher to go cheaply would be a complete backflip, particularly based on North offering a 5 year deal, it would make zero sense to let him go cheaply which l don't expect to happen when he is still under contract.

I think Caddy, Duursma or Watson. Those guys all play positions that could see quickly into the side. I don't see us coughing up all our currency to take a guy like O'Sullivan who fills a future need but not a current gap in our 22. If we go all in it is because we want someone, we think can impact now to help us win a flag.
Yeah, but Duursma and Watson both go top 5

It’s also possible to trade up to say Pick 8 for a player or two in mind but then if it turns out they aren’t available you could then trade back down during the draft

Waiting for draft night could mean the Cats could trade pick 8 to another club at some point pre-draft so could be more prudent to get it now - then again the Cats will also need to weigh up if they could get a better deal at the last minute

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s also possible to trade up to say Pick 8 for a player or two in mind but then if it turns out they aren’t available you could then trade back down during the draft

Waiting for draft night could mean the Cats could trade pick 8 to another club at some point pre-draft so could be more prudent to get it now - then again the Cats will also need to weigh up if they could get a better deal at the last minute

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
exactly.... if we can get our hands on it now, our preferred selection is gone... then we try to trade it out.

The thing is, Sanders is very much rated in that group, he's not fringe (Twomey has him rated ahead of Caddy and O'Sullivan), he just doesn't fit our needs.
Whereas every other player rated in the top 10 who isn't GC academy does.
But it would seem to be a risk if we trade to 8 we end up with him there.
Although I could see GWS potentially taking Sanders at pick 7 before O'Sullivan and potentially Caddy given their healthy KPD stocks.

They also lost Taranto and Hopper from their midfield this year - and Ward/Coniglio are at the veteran stages of their career. So you could see them wanting to bolster their midfield stocks.

There isn't a lot of successful KPP's that weren't academy kids, picked in the top 10 drafts over recent history.(I think)
Would rather select a cheaper version later in the draft. It's an area of need, but a KPD at pick 25-40 is just as likely to be a better player. Either split our first or use it on a FWD/Mid.

Has ferrisb come out and said which club he is nominating yet?
I spoke to the AFL and apparently Carlton would have to pay compensation if I went to another club...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back