Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
These rumours about Charlie into Harry into TDK, stink of leaks from Melbourne, working down a shopping list & floating it out there to see if it shakes lose.

My bet in a few days, assuming TDK doesn’t fly another random name will be raised.

The names being thrown out to the media (they don’t just make stuff up, unlike what people think, however they are “used” as tool, by managers, clubs & players) feel like a shopping list. No way it’s coming from Carlton as it serves no purpose as we are about to play finals & it only creates stories we don’t need. Whereas for Melbourne they are 100% into offseason & have nothing to lose from floating names.

So if my assumption is correct on who the media is talking too (it also being Tom Morris, who is a former media manager at Melbourne & has good connections), then Melbourne are far more open to trading him than being suggested publicly. It’s going to get done & he will get to where he wants, if that ends up being Carlton, it’s going to be a hell of a ride over the next month.

There isn't. Not a chance in Hell. But if, when his contract ends, he wants to get to Geelong then there's not a lot we can do to stop him.

If he is contemplating leaving however, we'd rather know now so we can plan ahead. But Cats will want him for free so I suspect we won't be told anything.

I don't want to lose him, but if he isn't staying, I'd lose him a year earlier to get currency for other players.

Last edited:

It’s an interesting one, cause on the one hand it can make him look like a selfish arseh*le.

but, the club did give him the contract, so in a sense he’s technically “owed” it, you’d take the money you’re technically owed any day of the week.
I was applying more of the tilt towards “life threatening injury can seriously change your mindset, when your young & already financially set for the rest of your life, what would u give up to cut loose something u don’t want to be around”

Yeah but we want his baggage to go along with his talent? How do we know what’s gone on at Melbourne hasn’t been driven by him.

• does he cost too much?
  • can he come back to his best?
  • would losing a key player damage the group?
  • would his baggage impact the culture we’re desperately trying to build?

I’m not loving the idea.

Prefer to develop these young guns we have - Lord, Binns and Moir.

I find the idea that Petracca has baggage as crazy, for the past 10 years, has it ever been reported or a rumour that he’s been anything except a proffesional?

Cost, i dont think he will cost too much, even my idea of our two 1st rounders, isn’t much when you consider the % of 1st round picks who dont make it.

There’s plenty of ways to bring in players without losing a key player.

Where has it ever been reported to alluded to that Petracca is bad for culture?

In terms of developing those guys, how would playing Petracca limit the development of a half forward/forward pocket? Or a wingman? Lord played on the weekend, but do you have the same worries for his development when Cerra, Williams, Boyd, Gov, Harry, Charlie return?

The good players survive.

Salaries aside, the Cats have never been shy in giving up their first round picks for players. It’s a huge part of why they are always challenging. Trading 1st rounders for known quantities lessens risk.

Dangerfield
Cameron x3
Henderson
Touhy
Bruhn
B.Smith (this year)
Ironically the pick they got for taking Bowes at pick 7 Jye Clarke hasn't come on as hoped yet.

Really don’t think a Petracca trade eventuates with us..
Would upset the group internally if we push out guys who signed long term, reportedly on unders to stay together.

Other problem is no player that’s good enough for Melbourne and Petracca would willingly go to a joint imploding while contracted (I.e, Harry, TDK)

If Trac desperately wants out it needs to be for draft capital, which us or Collingwood probably won’t have. Going to be a long trade week…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As if TDK would go to Melbourne.
If we force him out, he’d go to Geelong.

Would be an atrocious decision by Austin. Unless he’s leaving next year anyway.

The club would have been in talks with his management for months, surely his team would have put forward what they want, who knows what it is, it could be crazy.

If he left next year wed get a pick 12-19

If he’s moved i doubt its because he gets pushed.

Would hate to lose TDK, but he does seem the most likely if we were to move on a big name. If he is not committed long term, we will get a pick in the teens at best next season. Strike now if that’s the case.

Agreed however that TDK playing second fiddle to Gawn (who just extended through to end of ‘27) doesn’t make sense. Unless it’s via a 3-way trade.

I guess one of issues if we did sign Trac would be the increase for TDK to re-commit next year. We'd need to nudge a wanted player out the door somewhere along the line.

No thanks to Steven May. Takes a special kind to get punched in the face by a teammate at two different clubs...
Jake Lever on the other hand...

Don’t beg for mongrels on the field and then complain when you get one, May is a ripping player, hard at it, plays on the edge, id bet he’s a knob but so what.

He would be an ideal partner for Weitering

Yes, he can renegotiate and take less.

That is a shitload of money to leave on the table, probably around $2 million.
If he was willing to take that hit, that completely changes the value and risk proposition.

His new restaurant “Tracs on Lygon” would take that money back in the first week after he helped us to 17 🏆

A Question for the collective brains trust in here…

Why does Petracca have to get his full contracted price?
Yes, Melbourne is on the hook for it (& there’s ways to subsidize/reduce that) but if he chooses to renege on the contract, could he not take reduced contract elsewhere?

If he wants out, surely it’s not unreasonable for him to have to take a loss on his contract, especially given his injury & the sheer size of the contract.

If u wanted out badly enough, would it not be plausible to take the loss? Even at $800-900k a season he’s still making a hell of a lot of money & would be set for life after footy?

To be clear, I’m asking about the “mechanics” of a player reducing the contract, not a question about “why would he take less”

In short, he doesnt have to and he could take a pay cut as big as he wanted.

The longer petracca keeps silent the more it will make it difficult for him to stay. Hypothetical question. If Carlton offered Cerra and a future first rounder would that be enough for Melbourne?

The longer petracca keeps silent the more it will make it difficult for him to stay. Hypothetical question. If Carlton offered Cerra and a future first rounder would that be enough for Melbourne?
Think it would have to be more than that tbh. Cerra last year yes, Cerra this year with the repeat hamstring injuries... I'd be guessing its gonna cost us 2 firsts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back