Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fogarty, Doherty, Silvagni, Motlop, Williams, Cerra, McGovern?

How deep do you think we should go? Our injury prone players dont end with Cunners, Marcxhy and Martin.
Fogarty, Doc, Jsos should be excluded from the injury prone

Even if it was only replacing Cuners, Marchbank and S Durdin with durable role players, it would make a massive difference

Martin situation will be interesting

Fogarty, Doc, Jsos should be excluded from the injury prone

Even if it was only replacing Cuners, Marchbank and S Durdin with durable role players, it would make a massive difference

Martin situation will be interesting

Why do we exclude those players though? Is it just because they are slightly less injury prone? If Martin is still at our club next year i will be disappointed.

This is my concern. Have spoken with a couple of Adelaide boys. They love him but both say they've never worked so hard in their life with one joking he didn't know how hard he could be worked (mid career, seen a lot).

If we want to get away from the work harder then you play philosophy he's taking us in the wrong direction.

That said, if we weren't listing half a dozen guys every year who you know the likelihood is 5 or so games we may be able to better sustain that philosophy.

This is why I'm kinda hoping for a clear out of the injury prone types and replacing them with healthy bodies. A few kids and a couple of deficiency filling ready to play best 22 calibre footy (even if they're not stars). That in itself would make a massive difference. Fill out deficits elsewhere but not necessarily make the superstar acquisition.

Just googled AFL injury list and got the list posted on the 20th of this month, not one soft tissue injury on the Crows list, 8 players in total, one with concussion and two tests.

Regardless of what we hear, read, are scared of, isn’t just looking at his current record be a better indicator than anything else?

It absolutely will, Voss has his preferred setup irrespective of whether not it makes any sense or whether we like it
Nah, think he has moved past it, finally. Can see it happening if we make week two of finals to ease TDK back, but that is likely to be the extent come 2025.

Fog is the simplest answer.
Nothing Fog does isn’t replicated by Jack being forward & he is a marking option who can kick more than 35m.
Plus make sense with the mid rotations too
So we’d go in with a forward line of Curnow, McKay, Kemp, JSOS and possibly Moir?

Same as this year, first reserve for about 6 positions.

Who is injured in preseason? JSOS starts in their spot

Correct which would make him a depth player like I said

Fogarty, Doherty, Silvagni, Motlop, Williams, Cerra, McGovern?

How deep do you think we should go? Our injury prone players dont end with Cunners, Marcxhy and Martin.
They all have an element of it, but the majority of that list is made of “the right stuff”.

Fogarty seems over his chronic back ailment and has copped a couple of “new” injuries recently, the latest through friendly fire. A warrior on basic money. Get’s a pass.

Docherty is a star, almost a legend. Has had more than his share of injury and illness. I have trepidation at his intended early return, but trust his element of practicality. If he falters and re injures, we know it will be the end and retirement will come. The bloke has weighed up the risks and providing meeting of markers, is entitled to make the call.

Silvagni has had a few issues “recently” culminating in the ACL, but hardly falls in to the perpetual injury pile. Undervalued by some, over valued by others, Jack is an integral member of the group until he is not. He may not be first choice in some roles, but we know he will give heart and soul to whatever task he is allocated.

Motlop, hmmm. Struggling for a read. Is he a kid who has had some issues holding him back over 12 months, or is he lazy and entitled, nit doing the work to maximise performance and chances. I wish I knew, I don’t want to be unnecessarily harsh, but doesn’t appear to have done the work to move from boy to man, if that makes sense.

Cerra worries me. Love him as a player and makes us better when “going”. Seemed to have an annual soft tissue at Freo which was quickly resolved. They did take a long time to move him “inside”, played plenty of HB, HF and wing. Was it developmental or body related? This year has been an abomination. Clearly “not right” even when he was playing in the back half of the year. We need to utilise whatever methods are available to stabilise his hammies in the off season. Hoping he has started that now, even. Treloar is walking proof it can be done, we need to seek out his treatment. Cez is still young and makes us better, much better with “elite” delivery. Vossy needs to use him more as first receiver, than in the blunt instrument brigade.

McGovern, I have long regarded as non genuine. He was uncustomarily diligent last year (contract year) and has largely slipped back to the old ways. I didn’t like him getting a multi year extension. The role he plays is integral to our ball movement from the back half. When he is missing (too often) we lose so much. I have long thought Kemp will be a long term weapon in the Gov role. The coaches need to embrace that possibility. Kemp forward can be positive, but our list needs him back, but somewhat less accountable. Moir and a combo of Kennedy and Crippa give us enough third tall impact for the future for mine. Gov should not get another contract unless it is minimum chips and he earns it through availability.

Wow, looks like JSOS is the only player in Carlton history not to get better while injured!

FFS people, JSOS is 2nd only to Crippa in “want to win”, he was kicking ass before the injury.
People have seemingly forgotten how important it is to have a bloke on the field who is an incredibly smart footballer (something we seriously lack), halves every contest regardless of being out numbered & provides a solid lead up option.

With TDK improving he will 100% further improve the side as his inclusion stops Crippa/Kennedy taking ruck (which is blatantly stupid for Crippa to be doing IMO), it gives us a much more mobile, quick, effective spread & defence from clearance.

Two rucks will never be seen again (apart from injury) only problem we will face is that Voss wasn’t loving him but there has be growth and adaptation to our game style - JSOS seriously helps that
Agreed JSOS is a crucial member of our side in my view. I'm picking him every week due to his versatility and effort.

They all have an element of it, but the majority of that list is made of “the right stuff”.

Fogarty seems over his chronic back ailment and has copped a couple of “new” injuries recently, the latest through friendly fire. A warrior on basic money. Get’s a pass.

Docherty is a star, almost a legend. Has had more than his share of injury and illness. I have trepidation at his intended early return, but trust his element of practicality. If he falters and re injures, we know it will be the end and retirement will come. The bloke has weighed up the risks and providing meeting of markers, is entitled to make the call.

Silvagni has had a few issues “recently” culminating in the ACL, but hardly falls in to the perpetual injury pile. Undervalued by some, over valued by others, Jack is an integral member of the group until he is not. He may not be first choice in some roles, but we know he will give heart and soul to whatever task he is allocated.

Motlop, hmmm. Struggling for a read. Is he a kid who has had some issues holding him back over 12 months, or is he lazy and entitled, nit doing the work to maximise performance and chances. I wish I knew, I don’t want to be unnecessarily harsh, but doesn’t appear to have done the work to move from boy to man, if that makes sense.

Cerra worries me. Love him as a player and makes us better when “going”. Seemed to have an annual soft tissue at Freo which was quickly resolved. They did take a long time to move him “inside”, played plenty of HB, HF and wing. Was it developmental or body related? This year has been an abomination. Clearly “not right” even when he was playing in the back half of the year. We need to utilise whatever methods are available to stabilise his hammies in the off season. Hoping he has started that now, even. Treloar is walking proof it can be done, we need to seek out his treatment. Cez is still young and makes us better, much better with “elite” delivery. Vossy needs to use him more as first receiver, than in the blunt instrument brigade.

McGovern, I have long regarded as non genuine. He was uncustomarily diligent last year (contract year) and has largely slipped back to the old ways. I didn’t like him getting a multi year extension. The role he plays is integral to our ball movement from the back half. When he is missing (too often) we lose so much. I have long thought Kemp will be a long term weapon in the Gov role. The coaches need to embrace that possibility. Kemp forward can be positive, but our list needs him back, but somewhat less accountable. Moir and a combo of Kennedy and Crippa give us enough third tall impact for the future for mine. Gov should not get another contract unless it is minimum chips and he earns it through availability.
Cerra barely missed a game at Freo once established in that team...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like a lot of players developed soft tissue injuries when they arrive.............

Cerra was fine and just had a chronic hamstring injuries this year, maybe we just rushed him back too early.

Im sticking to my guns here, every week and every year I criticise Voss bringing back players too early, underdone or not through the VFL, standards need to be set and picking Doch regardless of the warm fuzzies it creates, flies in the face of what i preach and what so many others preach here.

A player recovering from a reco in such short time is one thing, to come back early is another, to come back in a final, after playing zero competitive matches in the VFL is crap.

Silvagni has his limitations like many, but he would have played heaps this year and he would have been solid.

This is his third year and the only year smashed by injury, it was reported at the start of the year he may have been a bit lazy in his rehab which i hope wasn’t the case, young players getting injured during their development years sets them back a long way, big concern if it doesnt improve next year.
Cerra worries me. Love him as a player and makes us better when “going”. Seemed to have an annual soft tissue at Freo which was quickly resolved. They did take a long time to move him “inside”, played plenty of HB, HF and wing. Was it developmental or body related? This year has been an abomination. Clearly “not right” even when he was playing in the back half of the year. We need to utilise whatever methods are available to stabilise his hammies in the off season. Hoping he has started that now, even. Treloar is walking proof it can be done, we need to seek out his treatment. Cez is still young and makes us better, much better with “elite” delivery. Vossy needs to use him more as first receiver, than in the blunt instrument brigade

I certainly hope he and the club are working really hard, Cerras future depends on next season, if i recall correctly he’s ooc next year, a good year gets him a good contract, another injury ravaged season and it could be the difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Even though he’s regressed a little, if he gets up for the first final which he should, that’s 18 games, that’s a good return

Not true, had niggles early and was taken along slowly. Usually a game or two here and there once or twice a year, but he did have a bit of a history and was managed accordingly (by role)

Our midfield lacks a genuine goal kicking mid we just don't have one.
Sydney have 2 that's why they sit on top.
Petracca is Melbourne's and why they won it a few years back. If Petracca wants in surely Austin and co know he's the player to fill a glaring hole on our list. I don't know what it would take to get it done...maybe 2 firsts & Cerra or Cerra + Kemp and next years first. Who knows but need to clear some salary space aswell and Cerra is on good coin and kemps due for a pay rise so its an option.

Yep,
And Port went all in to land the explosive goal kicking mid Horne-Francis who has propelled them to 2nd on the ladder and a serious shot at the premiership.
These guys are the difference makers in the modern game.
Cerra and our 2024/2025 first rounders might be around the mark if Petracca nominates Carlton.
Cerra’s salary plus trading Hewett Owies and Martin would clear cap space along with moving on Marchbank Cuningham and S.Durdin.
We would still head to the draft this year for the Campo twins and possibly someone like Dattoli along with Irishman Duffy but Petracca turbocharges our midfield now and takes us to another level.
Next year we have a number of NGA players available and of course Cody Walker the year after to keep the supply of young talent pumping into the club going forward …

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back