Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Port lose this week and you will have one
Ryan Gosling Pink GIF by Nora Fikse

Owies has trade value, but also, he doesn't really play as a small forward for us. It's the way he fits into the team.

Both Motlop and Durdin are more talented, and a lot younger (7 & 5 years).
Fantasia is a stop-gap for another year.

Agree in that he probably plays more like a medium forward but Voss seems to like playing multiple average smalls in the F50.

While dead average this year Mots needs to be afforded a good run at it, his second season was pretty good and while I like a few of Durdin's attributes he's starting to develop an injury history but again as you say still young.

However Owies finds space and kicks goals, the way we play doesn't seem to benefit the opportunistic style of more traditional smalls (or they just have a low footy IQ).

Anyhoo it is what it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We dont need Houston? Theres a really big thing in the middle of the ground, looks a bit like a square if im not mistaken.... we tend to avoid it like the plague, Houston unlocks it.
If we get Houston we need mids that can break away from their opponents. Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett and Walsh won’t cash in on what Houston can bring to our backline midfield connection.

Yes it’s a need, but IMO it’s far from our most pressing need.
KPD & small forwards are the pressing need.

Houston will likely cost 2 1st round picks at a time where we need to be hitting the draft given impacted drafts are coming and our age profile.

We need some quality (1st round) kids coming thru - we need to be planning for the future.

We also need a game style & plan that utilizes someone like Houston’s capabilities - we don’t have that atm

I don't disagree with what you say.

By all accounts we are into Laverde. He wouldn't be first choice, but you work your way down a list and that's where we are at. The small forward issue is annoying, because we have used recent picks on Durdin and Motlop. The fact we seem happy enough to lose Owies, says to me the club believes it has enough to work with.

As others have said, Houston won't cost 2 first rounders. We are nuts if we pay that, and we won't.

Of course we need kids and I hope we can manufacture extra picks from some of our departures. Unknown how our draft hand will look like at this stage.

The game style was fine for the first 2 thirds of the season. We kicked 138 points against Geelong and were looking a million bucks. We are all disappointed and confused about WTF happened, but we didn't deliberately decide to sabotage our game plan. Our season actually resembled Essendon's of 2012. They artificially got stronger and fitter, but fell to bits late in the year because their bodies couldn't cope. We just may have overdone it in a more natural sense, where we basically prepared for a half marathon instead of a full one.

If we get Houston we need mids that can break away from their opponents. Cripps, Cerra, Kennedy, Hewett and Walsh won’t cash in on what Houston can bring to our backline midfield connection.

Houston looked good when played as a mid, but in that Port side with JHF, Butters, Rozee, he was never going to remain in that role

Perhaps he might play the Doc role through the middle/wing

Walsh is reasonably quick, but yeah apart from that we have a slow midfield I agree

I do think having a guy that can hit targets 65m away is an unbelievable asset though

Houston looked good when played as a mid, but in that Port side with JHF, Butters, Rozee, he was never going to remain in that role

Perhaps he might play the Doc role through the middle/wing
Walsh is reasonably quick, but yeah apart from that we have a slow midfield I agree

I do think having a guy that can hit targets 65m away is an unbelievable asset though
I’m all for Houston and can see him playing midfield minutes. But until this club grows some and makes some big changes to an aging and slow midfield and limp forward line, we won’t win a premiership.

Players that can really sprint and Walsh imo isn’t that type. Then I forgot to add Cerra to that mix. Ugggghhhh!!!!

2 of Kennedy, Cerra and Walsh either need to find new homes this off season or only go into the midfield if we are desperate. Our midfield will fall off a cliff soon if we don’t make necessary changes

I’m all for Houston and can see him playing midfield minutes. But until this club grows some and makes some big changes to an aging and slow midfield and limp forward line, we won’t win a premiership.

Players that can really sprint and Walsh imo isn’t that type. Then I forgot to add Cerra to that mix. Ugggghhhh!!!!

2 of Kennedy, Cerra and Walsh either need to find new homes this off season or only go into the midfield if we are desperate. Our midfield will fall off a cliff soon if we don’t make necessary changes
Walsh isn’t lightning but he has elite agility and finds space where there isn’t any/burns off faster midfielders by arching his back and turning into space others can’t

Very similar than Daicos, though Nick has a little more toe off the line than Walsh

I would have Worpa in a totally different category to our other midfielders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back