Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree, Houston's kicking would be less effective with our receiver's than Port's. Boyd, Gov and Saad have decent disposal, but the ball movement results through the midfield let us down.

He'd be more enticing as a unrestricted free agent, if we had the cap space.(which he would be if he didn't sign a 5 year contract last year?, then change his mind)

Off to the draft this year with 2 x 2024 early picks and 2025's 1st. and focus on a mature-ish KPD also.
Port had very few forward marking options this year with Dixon, Marshall and Finlayson all sub par yet finished 2nd.
Houston breaks lines - his delivery into a forward line that has the likes of Curnow, McKay and TDK would be a nightmare for oppo defences.
If the ask is a future 1st I'd take it - with our draft history there's a good chance we'll stuff up the pick anyway.

Jacob Konstanty being chased. Won’t hear much until Swans season is over

Not unexpected. Manic pressure, tackles, decent pace and a goal a game small forward.

In 23 VFL games, he averages 10 disposals, 1 goal and 4 tackles. That will transfer over to the AFL fairly well.

The asking price will be interesting as he was a late first rounder, but can't get a game for the Swans.

Not unexpected. Manic pressure, tackles, decent pace and a goal a game small forward.

In 23 VFL games, he averages 10 disposals, 1 goal and 4 tackles. That will transfer over to the AFL fairly well.

The asking price will be interesting as he was a late first rounder, but can't get a game for the Swans.

Those are terrible numbers to be honest, averaging 10 disposals in the VFL for someone wanting to push for an AFL career is poor, especially if only averaging 1 goal a game.

No wonder he hasn’t got a game for the Swans.

I think lots of posters, me included, get seduced by former 1st round picks and assume they are a new club away from breaking out.

I actually don't think Weitering had a great season at all. Regardless if he was All Australian. His accountability on opponents was poor imo.
I was just about with you until the end.

He was very accountable for his man, had the best 1v1 numbers in the comp by a mile. His issue was impact aside from his 1v1 contest, and that I agree was well down. I think this was probably his third ranked season for the past 4 yrs. Teams gameplanned him out of contests so he wasn't able to intercept as well, but he got the jacket this time around whereas I think really he should've had 2 prior to this year.

I think picking him this season was almost a "It's his turn" kind of selection after being wrongfully snubbed twice before.

Last edited:
Those are terrible numbers to be honest, averaging 10 disposals in the VFL for someone wanting to push for an AFL career is poor, especially if only averaging 1 goal a game.

No wonder he hasn’t got a game for the Swans.

I think lots of posters, me included, get seduced by former 1st round picks and assume they are a new club away from breaking out.

Just looking at those games, he was at least named in the backline more often than forward. That will explain the 1 goal per game average.

I heard that Walsh sought extra outside guidance on his back also in the preseason.

This should surprise absolutely nobody.

A spinal cord injury is a severe injury that requires specialized care. I wouldn't expect our high-performance or medical team to have high-level spinal care knowledge. Not past a certain point, anyway. Even if they did a club should welcome a player seeking a second opinion on this with a professional who they are comfortable with.

As an aside...

When it comes to other players, I don't think it's a bad thing to send players elsewhere to overcome injuries. I remember when the Los Angeles Lakers sent Kobe Bryant to Germany for his knee because the United States lacked the treatment option available. If our boys can have similar levels of success it's money well spent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Twomey the idiot "Can't possibly see how Carlton can get Houston without putting pick 11 on the table"...

Then he goes on to say pick 11 AND our F1 (with us getting something else back)... yeah right clown...

If we give up 11 + F1 for Houston and a 2nd rounder or something along those lines we're ****ed...

Officially in crazy Vossy territory where he's under so much pressure that he's willing to sacrifice too much to get the "quick fix" through the door...

Houston is a gun, no doubt he'll slot straight into our best line up and impact games. But as I said earlier, our midfield should be priority #1... if we're going to trade our first rounders, imo, it must be for players that will address our midfield issues...

Twomey the idiot "Can't possibly see how Carlton can get Houston without putting pick 11 on the table"...

Then he goes on to say pick 11 AND our F1 (with us getting something else back)... yeah right clown...

If we give up 11 + F1 for Houston and a 2nd rounder or something along those lines we're ****ed...

Officially in crazy Vossy territory where he's under so much pressure that he's willing to sacrifice too much to get the "quick fix" through the door...

Houston is a gun, no doubt he'll slot straight into our best line up and impact games. But as I said earlier, our midfield should be priority #1... if we're going to trade our first rounders, imo, it must be for players that will address our midfield issues...

From memory Wilson has pace so he’s one we need to develop to get into the best 22

We do have a lot of half backs but could we move some pieces around to fit Houston in as our primary half back? For example could Saad, Boyd and Cowan rotate through the midfield? Cowan probably stays a defender long term. But Saad and Boyd on paper have some attributes to be mids with a difference.

Our other half backs in Doch and Williams have been moved out. Williams will hopefully become a dangerous half forward with a summer focusing on that skill set.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Would you pay that if you were WC?

I can't see anything better than a late 3rd-4th rounder for him.
West Coast have their hands full with getting a couple of Richmond player.
Although, quite impressively and respectfully both Baker and Bolton have told the Tigers the just want to get to WA, and haven't designated a club.

Given the West Coast currently only have 3, 23 and 59. None of those picks would be appropriate for a Carroll trade.

I'd assume there will be a lot of pick swapping going on, especially with GC wanting Rioli.

Carroll was very highly rated in WA as a junior, was loved by East Freo.

I don't know for sure if he is actually going to leave, but i think we will get a pick at least in the 30s for him.
He's shown he can play at the level and he's a bottom ager with a big upside.

This won't be a Dow/Setterfield type trade. More of a Zac Fisher trade. If he does leave.

From memory Wilson has pace so he’s one we need to develop to get into the best 22

We do have a lot of half backs but could we move some pieces around to fit Houston in as our primary half back? For example could Saad, Boyd and Cowan rotate through the midfield? Cowan probably stays a defender long term. But Saad and Boyd on paper have some attributes to be mids with a difference.

Our other half backs in Doch and Williams have been moved out. Williams will hopefully become a dangerous half forward with a summer focusing on that skill set.

What you're suggesting could work... but I'd want more of a guarantee that we've addressed the midfield... if we're going to cough up pick 11 + F1 for Houston + 37 and it doesn't work, then we've really damaged the list.

Giving aging players like Williams, Doc and Saad different roles in the hope they work is a big risk. I was all for moving Williams forward mid season because clearly wasn't working at hb, but having the reliance on Saad and Doc to play other roles too and banking a pre season on them is a risk we shouldn't be taking imo.

Cowan, Cincotta and Boyd imo should be given some mid rotations, but they're not the answer. Ollie was quite effective at hb too let's not forget.

I def want us to mix it up next season. With Ollie at hb, put Walsh on the wing because playing inside isn't working for him and I think the new rule change on htb has affected him. He used to always wear a tackle and without fail find a way to get his hands free and dish it off... now he hasn't got the time to do that and I think it has played on his mind... now we see him rush his disposal a lot more and it is detrimental. We need a burst mid who hits the scoreboard and can receive + capitalise on Cripps' ability to hit a contest and dish out a hb...

Maybe give Elijah a full pre season as well, he has a strong skillset just needs to improve his fitness and he could give us something there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back