Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first mooted trade scenario... you know its preseason. I can smell it.

This is further to the disgruntled small forward chatter... did I read a while ago a mooted 3-way trade with the Suns? This is also working off rumour of Martin wanting to go back to QLD.

I wonder if something like this would be in Austin's thinking...

GC give Lukosius, Pick 34 receive CAR F1, Jack Martin
CAR give F1, Jack Martin, receive Rachele
ADE give Rachele, receive Lukosius, Pick 34

Who says no?
Gold coast, all day

Apparently he and his Manager spoke to a heap of people. Has contacts to many sporting elites/programs

Antonio Pintus is who we should make a call to...I would have in a heartbeat as a casual consultant for our S&C team

I would be flying Rob Inness and a few others to spend a week with him at Real Madrid if it could be done. Would then ask him to come to Carlton for a week during the off season

Considered to be close to the best in the world

Google him and do some research...even NASA have called on his expertise...if anybody can get into the ear of Cook, Inness, Lloyd or even senior players on this platform, plant the seeds NOW!!!

Angus Schumacher, Tom Williamson, Cameron Polson, Lochie O Brien, Jesse Glass-McKasker, Andrew Gallucci, Matt Korcheck, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Harrison Macreadie, Patrick Kerr, Kym LeBois, Liam Stocker, Finbar O’Dwyer, Ben Silvagni, Sam Philp, Sam Ramsey, Josh Honey, Fraser Phillips, Luke Parks.

From 2016 onwards. With some of the picks we’ve had, it’s pretty bad. This is disregarding others who will join this list soon, as well as the rookie pickups as recycled players from other clubs. We have a base and core. We drafted and developed some great players. But we botched more than we have gotten right. And it’s not about the number of the pick, we have seen high picks mean shit if you can’t identify and develop accordingly.

I guess my point is, the drafting, especially of higher picks and abilities, is as bad if not more as some of the recruiting we have done. We should be getting players from other clubs through the door, why shy away from a player like Houston or any proven AFL player who wants to come to us? We should entertain it, ONLY if it makes sense cap wise and team wise to do so. For me it’s on Austin and Agresta to make sure they identify and use our draft picks well. I’m not convinced still even though I feel much safer with Austin than I did with SOS at the helm.

The list above, if a quarter of those names were successful draftees, we would be having a different conversation right now.

Probably not an unusual amount of failures for any club. The issue is that all the faster midfielders we have drafted have failed.

Boekhorst, Smedts, Fisher, Dow, SPS, Stocker, Lang, Garlett, Cuningham, Polson, Gibbons, O'Brien, Fogarty, Durdin, Ramsay, Honey, Philp, Carroll. All quicker midfield types. A few of them are more lower level forwards who played as midfielders at Junior level. Still, that's a fair long list of missed opportunities to add pace to our midfield.

Only Walsh has made it as a quicker midfielder.

Out of that list, we only needed to find 2 players that have pace, agility as well as tackling and ball winning ability and an outside game and we are around the top 4 this season.

Our recruitment team's poor ability to find these sorts of players needs to be heavily focused on this year. The better teams are finding them and loading up on them.

Austin or SOS are the heads. The team under them is the same from what I believe. Direction and development from coaching staff as well as recruitment must come into account.

You could argue we should have been playing Carroll more this season in the middle over the excessively slow players we have been selection. You could argue we should be butting more time into Cincotta as an onball player or Kemp. So maybe it's not all recruiting. We had a problem and never really tried anything at all to rectify it.

I posted a few months ago about a player being confused and frustrated with role and rehab. I got hounded for it. 🤔
This player...
I wonder if the fresh Trac talk might somehow link in?

Angus Schumacher, Tom Williamson, Cameron Polson, Lochie O Brien, Jesse Glass-McKasker, Andrew Gallucci, Matt Korcheck, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Harrison Macreadie, Patrick Kerr, Kym LeBois, Liam Stocker, Finbar O’Dwyer, Ben Silvagni, Sam Philp, Sam Ramsey, Josh Honey, Fraser Phillips, Luke Parks.
Boekhorst, Smedts, Fisher, Dow, SPS, Stocker, Lang, Garlett, Cuningham, Polson, Gibbons, O'Brien, Fogarty, Durdin, Ramsay, Honey, Philp, Carroll.
Emotional Damage GIF by Jennifer Accomando

Probably not an unusual amount of failures for any club. The issue is that all the faster midfielders we have drafted have failed.

Boekhorst, Smedts, Fisher, Dow, SPS, Stocker, Lang, Garlett, Cuningham, Polson, Gibbons, O'Brien, Fogarty, Durdin, Ramsay, Honey, Philp, Carroll. All quicker midfield types. A few of them are more lower level forwards who played as midfielders at Junior level. Still, that's a fair long list of missed opportunities to add pace to our midfield.

Only Walsh has made it as a quicker midfielder.

Out of that list, we only needed to find 2 players that have pace, agility as well as tackling and ball winning ability and an outside game and we are around the top 4 this season.

Our recruitment team's poor ability to find these sorts of players needs to be heavily focused on this year. The better teams are finding them and loading up on them.

Austin or SOS are the heads. The team under them is the same from what I believe. Direction and development from coaching staff as well as recruitment must come into account.

You could argue we should have been playing Carroll more this season in the middle over the excessively slow players we have been selection. You could argue we should be butting more time into Cincotta as an onball player or Kemp. So maybe it's not all recruiting. We had a problem and never really tried anything at all to rectify it.
One paced midfield and one paced coaching staff
Recipe for disaster...which by the way was on display for the entire football world to see last Saturday night

One paced midfield and one paced coaching staff
Recipe for disaster...which by the way was on display for the entire football world to see last Saturday night
It's been on display for three seasons, it's just that there are still a lot of other clubs which have not caught up to speed yet and we have enough top end talent in the side to carry us so it has not been so obvious. In many ways I am glad it was so obvious, it really does stamp the issue on the forehead of every carlton coach and listmanager.

Will be very disappointed if we come out of another trade and draft period without addressing it. Pretty much recruited no one to address our most major issue which has been obvious for 3 seasons now.

That comes back on list management and coaching.

All this talk about half backs and key defenders, that isn't the major issue.

We will be a laughing stock if we go into next season with the same onball group. I've known for years and been banging on about it, opposition teams have been exploiting it, now it's common knowledge publically.

Hopefully the mini-rebuild of the midfield starts now, when it should have started years ago. That's the problem you get when your coaching staff are no good and don't direct list management properly. Far FAR too slow to pick up on this if they ever will.

Gold coast, all day
This the Gold Coast who traded Pick 2 (ended up being Brayshaw) for Lachie Weller? The same one who traded Bowes and Pick 7 to the Cats for salary cap space and a third round in return?

Don't underestimate the ineptitude of the Suns list management.

From 2016 onwards. With some of the picks we’ve had, it’s pretty bad. This is disregarding others who will join this list soon, as well as the rookie pickups as recycled players from other clubs. We have a base and core. We drafted and developed some great players. But we botched more than we have gotten right. And it’s not about the number of the pick, we have seen high picks mean shit if you can’t identify and develop accordingly.

I guess my point is, the drafting, especially of higher picks and abilities, is as bad if not more as some of the recruiting we have done. We should be getting players from other clubs through the door, why shy away from a player like Houston or any proven AFL player who wants to come to us? We should entertain it, ONLY if it makes sense cap wise and team wise to do so. For me it’s on Austin and Agresta to make sure they identify and use our draft picks well. I’m not convinced still even though I feel much safer with Austin than I did with SOS at the helm.

The list above, if a quarter of those names were successful draftees, we would be having a different conversation right now.

Oh the humanity

GIF by South Park

Wouldn't it be a better exercise to include the successes and also some contect about actual draft position for the same rather than just chuck names out there?

It's a fairly long bow to name cat b rookies like Korchek and rookies.

6 or 7 weeks ago we were 2nd on the ladder and close to premiership favourites. Our drafting was fine then. Quite clearly things went wrong whether it be injuries, complacency, poor coaching, poor structure , over reliance on our elite, a fall off in depth once injuries hit or most probably various combinations of the above.

I would very much hope that the club I'd concentrating on finding answers to those questions. Clearly they have started with high performance, there will be list adjustments etc.

Wouldn't it be a better exercise to include the successes and also some contect about actual draft position for the same rather than just chuck names out there?

It's a fairly long bow to name cat b rookies like Korchek and rookies.

Matt Korcheck came to us at the same time as Mason Cox came to Collingwood - at the time Matt was rated more highly by AFL insiders both athletically and skill wise than Mason Cox.

Development has been a huge issue for us going back 15 years - I thought that Luke Power and our creation of our Reserves side would improve our player development but the jury is still well and truly out.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matt Korcheck came to us at the same time as Mason Cox came to Collingwood - at the time Matt was rated more highly by AFL insiders both athletically and skill wise than Mason Cox.

Development has been a huge issue for us going back 15 years - I thought that Luke Power and our creation of. Reserves side would improve our player development but the jury is still well and truly out.
Power is another who needs to go

Also part of my point was the idea of development. It’s lacked for a long time. Probably a mix of not choosing the right player but also not having the best people to mould them. We’ve been talking about role players on here and getting some in. Imagine we had some of those guys make it in that capacity, which is what we probably needed them to be. Again, it’s a different convo we are having right now.

I’ve drawn the bow right out to a holistic look at our drafting. I mean we rookied Cam O Shea and played him on a wing ffs. I have PTSD writing this. We need a balance of draft and trade/fa, and start to really focus on fine tuning the development of these youngens coming though

My first mooted trade scenario... you know its preseason. I can smell it.

This is further to the disgruntled small forward chatter... did I read a while ago a mooted 3-way trade with the Suns? This is also working off rumour of Martin wanting to go back to QLD.

I wonder if something like this would be in Austin's thinking...

GC give Lukosius, Pick 34 receive CAR F1, Jack Martin
CAR give F1, Jack Martin, receive Rachele
ADE give Rachele, receive Lukosius, Pick 34

Who says no?

I think we win that trade, GC lose, and Adelaide are probably about par.

Probably lot of ways to balance it. Could be something like a swap of our future second for GC's future third. Could be as simple as Owies going to GC if he's amenable. Not really sure what GC need list-wise.

Or instead of GC sending Pick 34 to Adelaide, we send the Crows our second rounder, and then use other player movement (Owies, Carroll etc.) to try and buy back in ahead of the first Campo bid.

Development has been a huge issue for us going back 15 years - I thought that Luke Power and our creation of our Reserves side would improve our player development but the jury is still well and truly out.
Cox wasn't actually developed so much by collingwood as by Macrae personally when he was heading the development program for collingwood, before he left to go to richmond.

Reckon development has been a bigger issue.
Some of them could play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back