Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask Melbourne fans how they’re going now

That has so much more to do with the fact that their club is being ran like an absolute shit show off the field than one poor season on it.

In 1994, we had an even more embarrassing loss in the finals against Geelong.

Geelong showed that day, trust the kids, you never know how they will perform.

We added a couple more.players, a few came on from the fringes, and we won the 1995 Premiership.

The difference from one season to the next is minimal when it comes to success. Small tweaks here and there, and get the boys fit.
It took the addition of Rice, CLape, Pearce, Manton and the development of Kouta and Whitehead. It was like adding 5-6 new players. We need at least 4 changes in personal that improve us to go forward.

That has so much more to do with the fact that their club is being ran like an absolute shit show off the field than one poor season on it.
That’s right. But they’re miserable at the moment, and have no hope for the future. Every Melbourne fan I know couldn’t give a shit whether they won a flag 3 years ago or not

Gov for the large part was a massive bust. Only come good in the last couple of years after rocking up unfit over and over and getting injured 24/7
Maybe. Fine not good. Still if we didn't have him kemp would still be back and marchbank would still be injured and not playing. All I meant is pre the second half of this season when he's in the team we are a much better team.

Fine pickup. Not good not bad.

That’s right. But they’re miserable at the moment, and have no hope for the future. Every Melbourne fan I know couldn’t give a shit whether they won a flag 3 years ago or not
Imploding with a drug and player management disaster class will do that.

I'll still take nabbing 1 premiership and hoping our team doesn't become mono meth addicts afterwards...

I don't blame them at all for being angry at their club. They have every right to be.

They achieved a potential golden era and their administration has pissed it all away.

I would like to hope that we've gone through the worst of that time at the Carlton Football Club and we've come through the other side.

Just goes to show that you need checks and balances - - accountability -- off the field even more so than on it. However, I don't believe we have a supporter base who will allow the club to sink back to where we were.

You don’t think if we won a flag and 3 years later had all this culture and heirarchy nonsense going on that we wouldn’t want people sacked? We made finals for the first time in a decade and people on here still found shit to complain about 😂
I was responding to the second sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dee’s supporters don’t turn up most of the time anyway…they are terrible supporters, u only have to look at crowds.
Carlton have become the laughing stock of the afl this century, as we’ve done nothing…no Gf appearances, 1 PF appearance.
If I looked back 3 years ago & had won a flag, I’d still be smiling.

Angus Schumacher, Tom Williamson, Cameron Polson, Lochie O Brien, Jesse Glass-McKasker, Andrew Gallucci, Matt Korcheck, Sam Petrevski-Seton, Harrison Macreadie, Patrick Kerr, Kym LeBois, Liam Stocker, Finbar O’Dwyer, Ben Silvagni, Sam Philp, Sam Ramsey, Josh Honey, Fraser Phillips, Luke Parks.

From 2016 onwards. With some of the picks we’ve had, it’s pretty bad. This is disregarding others who will join this list soon, as well as the rookie pickups as recycled players from other clubs. We have a base and core. We drafted and developed some great players. But we botched more than we have gotten right. And it’s not about the number of the pick, we have seen high picks mean shit if you can’t identify and develop accordingly.

I guess my point is, the drafting, especially of higher picks and abilities, is as bad if not more as some of the recruiting we have done. We should be getting players from other clubs through the door, why shy away from a player like Houston or any proven AFL player who wants to come to us? We should entertain it, ONLY if it makes sense cap wise and team wise to do so. For me it’s on Austin and Agresta to make sure they identify and use our draft picks well. I’m not convinced still even though I feel much safer with Austin than I did with SOS at the helm.

The list above, if a quarter of those names were successful draftees, we would be having a different conversation right now.
I had high hopes for the bolded at one stage or another :(

Macreadie went from being the (very) early consensus top pick in that draft to a big time slider to out of the league really quickly.

A case of being a man among boys early on and his body not being up for it?

As did I mate. Willo showed glimpses early, before his back injury. He could have been an elite hbf or wingman.

LOB was one who I had high hopes. Elite left cannon, could run all day. Seemed perfect for a ten year career on the wing.

Did not like the physical stuff, of course Voss was not impressed.

SPS, showed some real ability but was let down by a lack of pace. Bit like a lot of our current smalls( not very quick).

Stocker, well SOS liked the look of him (his guns). Unfortunately, no tank.

Honey had all the physical attributes to be an elite hff. But, just was bereft of any footy iq.

You’re so right. People on here get upset at the thought of a player being traded. It’s a sport and trades happen. Who the **** cares if someone people have up on their wall leaves. Especially if we get something great in return.

GWS get slaughtered each and every year of great player and look at them. They turn a player leaving into picks or trades and do well. Rinse and repeat.

I do find it’s mainly the younger people on here who through a hissy or thumbs down to someone having a think tank moment of a player being traded. It’s like it’s the end of the world in that moment for way too many on here.

I’m ok with anyone leaving our club as long as we better ourselves in the future.

I find it's the complete opposite.

Reckon development has been a bigger issue.
Some of them could play.
I wonder what the weakest areas of our development are?

Do we give less opportunity to young players to play senior football? Leave them in the VFL despite decent form.

Do we not give young players good opportunities when playing senior football? Play players in wrong positions. Not give midfield types enough midfield minutes. Lock young players into negative roles.

Have a poor VFL side which struggles to play to a good standard and struggled to generate games where some players may find it difficult to perform?

So far this is a yes.

Do we not review footage and work on specific drills? Do we not watch footage of good opposition players and good senior players of our own and attend games where opposition players are playing to study them? For example, if I was Binns I would be getting to plenty of Collingwood games to watch Sidebottom before he retires or regresses to study how he plays.
If footy was your job and you did it full time, I think you would put a lot of time into development. Study the game a lot more. I wonder how much study AFL players put in? I would be picking out elite players I want to model my game on and get to as many games to watch them as possible. Same for our coaches and list managers. Get to as many games as possible where the top teams are involved to analyse them. Identify their strengths and fundamentals and apply that to our own team. Identify important traits so recruiters get an eye for what to look for. Chasing, tackling, closing speed and agility haven't been when we have recruited midfielders, maybe if our people studied the game more this may not have been missed. And I get that it's hard to do this and attend U18 games as well.

Development is not just for players but for our staff as well.

I think there is no doubt we could develop our players more and that is outside of running drills and giving a little feedback.

But we also must be careful not to overcoach. You often see sides win a lot of games when the coach changes. A lot of that is because players are allowed to play instinctively more. I get the feeling we are overcoaching a fair bit. There is a fine line there.

Our group has been there long enough now where we should be at minimum, getting on top of things. I think we are trying but perhaps aren't doing a great job of it just yet.

LOB was one who I had high hopes. Elite left cannon, could run all day. Seemed perfect for a ten year career on the wing.

Dude was a national athlete and small-town king all through his teens without even training properly. Could not handle a high-pressure, competitive environment where you had to work hard to succeed.

SPS, showed some real ability but was let down by a lack of pace. Bit like a lot of our current smalls( not very quick).

Real shame about SPS. Struck me as a guy who had all the ability and worked hard.. or at least tried to, but was just such a gentle, nice bloke & he didn't have that competitive streak in him. I hope he's doing well.

Power is another who needs to go
I reckon, considering what players he had available, Power is looking better than Voss.
We lost a lot of games by small margins, had bugger all experienced players due to injuries and our ball movement towards the end of the season shat on what the seniors were displaying.

You’re so right. People on here get upset at the thought of a player being traded. It’s a sport and trades happen. Who the **** cares if someone people have up on their wall leaves. Especially if we get something great in return.

GWS get slaughtered each and every year of great player and look at them. They turn a player leaving into picks or trades and do well. Rinse and repeat.

I do find it’s mainly the younger people on here who through a hissy or thumbs down to someone having a think tank moment of a player being traded. It’s like it’s the end of the world in that moment for way too many on here.

I’m ok with anyone leaving our club as long as we better ourselves in the future.

Some just can't see the forest for the trees...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back