Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

With Cerra I think people forget how he was playing before the hamstrings really impacted him. He was our most willing two-way midfielder.

If he can get back to his best the only reason I'd accept trading him is if we can get a clear superstar (e.g. Petracca) in return and then he becomes our most tradable "reputation" player.

Putting him on the table "to see what we can get" is asking for trouble.

Go out and see what you want first and if it takes Cerra to get it done then and only then do you consider it.

Soapy V - saw your post. I got you here. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

From all reports LOB was a hard track worker.

The biggest problem that LOB had was that his metabolism prevented him from putting on the type of positive weight required at the AFL level.

His delisting had nothing to do with a lack of work ethic or an unwillingness to adapt to professional football. Had it been he probably wouldn't have been given the second chance following the delisting.

Yep. People can criticise ability, weaknesses etc all they want. I am not here to defend Lochie

BUT when someone says something which is 100% INCORRECT like he didn't work hard enough I will call it out.

Even just this year.
We wouldn't be in the rumours thread.

Most posts in this thread aren't rumours, they belong in List Management.

I wouldn't say it's that unusual.

Let's take Collingwood, where they've failed on the following:

2013 - Matthew Scharenberg, Nathan Freeman, Jonathan Marsh, Sam Dwyer
2014 - Matthew Goodyear
2015 - Brayden Sier, Tom Phillips, Ruper Wills, Ben Crocker
2016 - Sam McLarty, Callum Brown, Kale Kirby
2017 - Jaidyn Stephenson, Tyler Brown
2018 - Will Kelly
2019 - Jay Rantall, Trent Bianco, Trey Ruscoe

The above is just taken from the National Draft each year.

They have had fewer top end busts than us, with 2014 being the year they hit on DeGoey and Moore for their top picks, but they've also had a lot less top picks. Outside that 2014 year, they didn't really have any top picks and the few they did (Scharneberg, Freeman and Stpehenson) were all busts.

I think drafting is really really hard.
They've been more successful over the same period though. We have had a $hit sandwich of busts and sustained lack of success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put Cerra on the table and see what comes along, need to start getting brutal with our list, too many players who are one paced, slow and no skills.

Cast your memory back all the way to 2023 and watch the first 7 games, he was our best midfielder by far and believe he was leading our BnF until he did the dreaded hammy and finished 4th.
It wasn't to long back that people on here wanted to trade Cripps for a packet of twisties.
Let him recover and hope he returns to the player that he was

SOS had his failures. I have known our midfield has problems for 3 seasons now. What has Austin done to fix that?

If it's the coach thinking he has a team and midfield good enough to win a flag he is as bad as Ratten was. That was one of the things that brought him undone IMO.

Is the coach not directing the recruiting team well enough or is it the recruiting team aren't that good?

Voss stipulated 2 years back he wanted blokes that could run and run and run.
Austin went and got Ollie and Blacres, both good pickups and Ollie was the lowest draft choice Austin has had to play with.
3 years ago he got Cerra via trade, Cerra has been very good until the HPT did a number on him this year.
His later picks have been reasonable for lower picks. Moir/Cowan/Binns/Wilson/Motlop/Lord all have some very good traits to work with, you’ve got to throw em a bone more often though and not just when half the team are out injured and they’re expected to pick the slack up of more highly rated players
We need to keep pick 11 this year as the first round is where you have a much higher chance of finding an elite player, got to draft highly rated talent as it’s effectively throwing a dart blindfolded later in the draft including PSD and MSD.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Yep. People can criticise ability, weaknesses etc all they want. I am not here to defend Lochie

BUT when someone says something which is 100% INCORRECT like he didn't work hard enough I will call it out.
100% Soapy. I posted this after an open training session at the start of 2023.

"LOB should have the other wing spot round 1 sewn up - looked really good today, and his running capacity is off the charts. Reckon he's put in a lot of hard work to get himself cherry ripe."

Most posts in this thread aren't rumours, they belong in List Management.

This time of year most rumours are closely tied to list management - discussion of those rumours will naturally blur the line as well.

For months now I have been told and posted that Austin is very much focussed on draft and value trades. Club want as many picks as possible around 1st round. Hope is to get 2-3 picks in before Campo bid

Lots of talk that any interest in Houston is being pushed by Voss and NOT the List Management group.

I have no idea what Cook etc think or what will happen but this has been the consistent message

For months now I have been told and posted that Austin is very much focussed on draft and value trades. Club want as many picks as possible around 1st round. Hope is to get 2-3 picks in before Campo bid

Lots of talk that any interest in Houston is being pushed by Voss and NOT the List Management group.

I have no idea what Cook etc think or what will happen but this has been the consistent message

Personally, I don't see an issue with this. I'm sure some will.

The coach's job is to win games and, by extension, flags.

The list management team's job is to balance the immediate needs of the list with the future list strategy, and ensure that the finite resources (cap space, draft picks, list spots) are utilised efficiently.

There will naturally be times that the preferences of each department clash. Neither side is necessarily right by default either - maybe this is the year that an elite ball user will catapult us into a GF appearance, but maybe it won't and overcommitting resources to that signing will hamper us in years to come.

I expect there will be robust discussion between the two departments. The LM team has the final say, so the onus is on the coaching group to convince them. Likely outcome is some kind of compromise - where the LM team commit to trying to secure Houston if the price fits within certain parameters, and if not then they will work to draft or recruit an alternative player who potentially brings some of the same skills.

Last edited:
Have you ever heard the story about the four list managers having a conference call?

One was rebuilding from the bottom, one who just missed the finals, another who almost lost their way completely but scraped in due to two of the others, and one on the precipice of a colossal choke job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back