Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the weakest areas of our development are?

For me it’s mainly the following:
1) short term thinking
  • views on players changing under multiple coaches, be it their view on ability or best position result in the players bouncing between the league side and the reserves side for reasons not linked to performance, eg Dow gifted games under Bolton initially then almost frozen out by Voss
  • throwing players around from one position to the next to cover for perennially injured players or holes in the list, eg Kemp starting half forward in Voss’ first scratch match in 2022 then forced down back because Gov, Marchy and Oscar predictably broke down
2) injuries
- result in no depth in the 2s so the reserves side is not very strong so players don’t get the opportunities they would to work on their game if the side was performing better
- players played out of position to cover gaps so don’t get to work on their positional craft

Look at Geelong with Manaugh. Given a taste early to see if was a walk up but struggled and went back on the 2s to bring his game up to the standard required and now he’s contributing consistently. They are the best at it.

Is that even the Coach's job? Doesn't the Football Department handle that sort of thing?
Yes. Coach asks for what types he wants. List management determines who those individuals are.

You can't have a person directing a team, game plan and controlling who is played and who isn't and for them to have no control over the makeup of the list.

If Voss asks for a mature ruckman, list management will go out and find them.

The coach is not there on draft day just for shits and giggles. It's not the coach's job to know what individuals to draft, but it is their job to offer direction as to what types of individuals we select.

It's also the coach who decides who leaves the list as well.

The coach is the director of list management. List management determine the individuals and have input on what types we recruit.

This is my main concern. Voss seems content with a midfield that in my opinion is not good enough and not in tune with the modern game, hence why we have seen no changes to our onball group in 3 years and possible 4 if nothing happens again.

The coach wants types. The list managers job is to try and get them. The coach gives guidance and direction to the list managers.

Tim Burton Batman GIF

Last edited:
It’s a double edged sword. If they’re here, it means the clubs leaking. If they aren’t, it means it’s quiet on here. Can’t win haha
I’m constantly looking to the “no discussion” thread to see if it’s been updated, only to be disappointed when it’s still not bold.

I don’t think it’s even on the first page of threads!

I don't think its meaningless at all fwiw. I'm simply stating, as i did in another post, 2 players with very, very similar numbers over the last four seasons, its interesting to me how one player is deemed garbage yet another is deemed a god like status. I find it amusing.

Go by the eye and pub test, that will tell you everything you need to know about Laverde, very very ordinary

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Voss stipulated 2 years back he wanted blokes that could run and run and run.
Austin went and got Ollie and Blacres, both good pickups and Ollie was the lowest draft choice Austin has had to play with.
3 years ago he got Cerra via trade, Cerra has been very good until the HPT did a number on him this year.
His later picks have been reasonable for lower picks. Moir/Cowan/Binns/Wilson/Motlop/Lord all have some very good traits to work with, you’ve got to throw em a bone more often though and not just when half the team are out injured and they’re expected to pick the slack up of more highly rated players
We need to keep pick 11 this year as the first round is where you have a much higher chance of finding an elite player, got to draft highly rated talent as it’s effectively throwing a dart blindfolded later in the draft including PSD and MSD.

Cerra is the only onballer and he doesn't offer what we need. His intensity, pace and tackle numbers aren't as good as the couple of games we got out of Lord. Has not performed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cerra is the only onballer and he doesn't offer what we need. His intensity, pace and tackle numbers aren't as good as the couple of games we got out of Lord. Has not performed.
Hard to perform in those areas with hammies that could pop at any minute. Give him some time under a new fitness regime and see what happens. Among other things, we desperately lack good users of the footy. Cerra is one who can use it and we’d be crazy to put him on the table imo.

Hard to perform in those areas with hammies that could pop at any minute. Give him some time under a new fitness regime and see what happens. Among other things, we desperately lack good users of the footy. Cerra is one who can use it and we’d be crazy to put him on the table imo.
This sounds familiar. This would be good if it ever happens.

I’m constantly looking to the “no discussion” thread to see if it’s been updated, only to be disappointed when it’s still not bold.

I don’t think it’s even on the first page of threads!

At times there are no updates for months.

Then all of a sudden the thread lights up, mainly around trade period.

Don’t see what the issue is.

Short memory. Cerra was our best midfielder last year until injured.
Is a very good player who needs to get his body right.

Short memory. Cerra was our best midfielder last year until injured.
Is a very good player who needs to get his body right.
Marchbank was our best CHB, MArtin our best medium forward, Cuningham our best half forward flank.

I don't have a short memory. If it happens, great.

This year, agree….but he has been fkd over by a very ordinary hpt that finally got the flick at least 2 years later than he should have.

Prior to his 5 hammies in 14 months, he was very good.

Get him fit and confident in his body and he’s not the problem

Marchbank was our best CHB, MArtin our best medium forward, Cuningham our best half forward flank.

I don't have a short memory. If it happens, great.
Cerra is not the same as the others. He’s a proven performer in a Carlton jumper that far too many have dismissed based on a shocking run in one season.
The others have so many strikes they are bowling for 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back