Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd argue that our midfield issue is a lack of defensive speed rather than attacking speed.
As good as Petracca is, I'm not sure he addresses that?

Defensive speed is an interesting attribute. Who is an AFL player that has strong defensive speed?

Lots of different angles on the Trac rumours and trade possibilities …

on over $1M and carrying on like a selfish pork chop …you’re a leader of the club. They’ve invested heavily in you and you want to jump ship to play in front of large crowds. How about stay and try and help fix the club you’re at.
That club almost got him killed.

I'd normally agree with you but I think if anyone has the right to want to move past Melbourne, it'd be him.

I don't understand how my view is black and white when you are doing the same concept.

You're comparing the amount of goals a key forward kicks to a mid...

I'm not doing anything of the sort...

You think Petrecca will fix our midfield issue when the issue was the team was being injured? So are we just going to ignore how dominant we were in the midfield last year and the first of this year?

Them being injured is the issue? lol come on... we have zero goal kicking mids... big fat zero... Pies had 4 last year...

We have 1 mid who can hit a target i50... he's continuously re-injured his hamstring for the last 18 months...

What if Petrecca gets injured? We saw how things turn out when we got mcgovern/williams and martin on high contract.

What if Harry gets injured? We saw how things turn out when we got mcgovern/williams and martin on high contract.

Not sure why you bringing Hewett age in. Trac is 29 and probably has 2-3 years. Can he be the midfield bull and go in under if Cripps gets injured? When Oliver and Viney were the ones letting him being more a free flowing mid.

Not surprised... let me break it down for you... I brought Hewett's age up because he's obviously reached his ceiling... he is not going to suddenly elevate his game to becoming a goal kicking mid who takes the reliance off Cripps....

Trac is on that level. If Cripps gets injured, better to at least have Trac too than not... the alternative is extremely bleak. Kennedy can still be the inside bull... Hewett can too...

What happens if Curnow gets injured? Are we going to have a shitshow of fwd line like the past 2 weeks when running 2 KPF actually produces results in the Grand Final (Go look it at it)

This is getting tedious... what it this one gets injured, what if that one gets injured lmfao like as if this couldn't happen if we keep Harry....

Aren't we just Cherry picking stats where we just conviently did better without Harry and Charlie when they played almost every game for the past 3 years.

Well... you're the one saying we're doomed without Harry... it's not cherry picking because you're too lazy to go back and look at the results for yourself... I'm not going to do the research for you.

Does Petrecca provide contesting marking down the line or when we distribute from kick-ins?

There is pros and cons to both players.

Go watch that vid I linked a couple posts back. You might learn something.

Geoff Southby was never quite the same player after he got his jaw broken by Balme in the '73 grand final.
Ian Aitken after the king hit from Clarkson. He was still a fairly good player, but he never hit the expected heights the pundits predicted for him.

I genuinely don’t think there has ever been a single scenario that has separated so clearly those on this board who can think intentionally, objectively, sensibly and broadly from those who are stuck, scarred, conservative and emotional … it’s fascinating stuff.
It’s not just risk tolerance but a fundamental disagreement on the likelihood of success based on proposed actions

Favouring trading for Petracca at an exorbitant cost does not make you some bold cavalier and others emotionally stunted.

Trading for Petracca does not mean a flag follows in the short window of his remaining career.

If the capital to be expended is too high, (remembering this is not Trac circa 2021 but a rising 29 y/o with a serious injury), it severely hampers efforts to maintain a playing list capable of challenging for a sustained period.

It is a bog standard risk assessment- nothing more. And at present it’s based on incomplete information

Last edited:
You're comparing the amount of goals a key forward kicks to a mid...

I'm not doing anything of the sort...

Them being injured is the issue? lol come on... we have zero goal kicking mids... big fat zero... Pies had 4 last year...

We have 1 mid who can hit a target i50... he's continuously re-injured his hamstring for the last 18 months...

What if Harry gets injured? We saw how things turn out when we got mcgovern/williams and martin on high contract.

Not surprised... let me break it down for you... I brought Hewett's age up because he's obviously reached his ceiling... he is not going to suddenly elevate his game to becoming a goal kicking mid who takes the reliance off Cripps....

Trac is on that level. If Cripps gets injured, better to at least have Trac too than not... the alternative is extremely bleak. Kennedy can still be the inside bull... Hewett can too...

This is getting tedious... what it this one gets injured, what if that one gets injured lmfao like as if this couldn't happen if we keep Harry....

Well... you're the one saying we're doomed without Harry... it's not cherry picking because you're too lazy to go back and look at the results for yourself... I'm not going to do the research for you.

Go watch that vid I linked a couple posts back. You might learn something.

We clearly have different view points on this matter so I am just going to stop arguing with you.

I feel like this is going to get more and more difficult as time goes on. The talent pool is already stretched and we're about to add another team in.

Dynasties are going to become even harder.
The draft needs to be redesigned. The rookie draft needs to be for players under 21. Those players play in the VFL alongside older players who haven’t made AFL lists. These can be your state or regional league level teams. When a player hits 21+, they can go into the National draft for the National competition. If the talent pool is drying up, find a new way to fill it up.

The idiots at the commission these days are not interested the health and well being of the competition, they’re only concerned with their phat bonus cheques and the kickbacks they get from gambling companies.

They're not powerful midfielders. Petracca solves a pretty big issue for us - midfield speed that can cause damage down forward + support for Cripps. He would actually prolong Cripps career imo, and vice versa.
Yes, would indeed prolong each other's careers. If Walsh got back to old form and with TDK in the ruck, could be one of the most powerful midfields in decades.

So he’s an average KPF? We have 2 fantastic, brilliant KPF at the same time, how good is that?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Well, what happens in the future will determine " how good is that? " If we come to the end of 2028/29 and we still havent nabbed no. 17, then the goodness of 2 fantastic, brilliant KPF's at the same time will be a lot less. :think:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They almost killed him. The 'large crowds' comment is safer to say than the truth, because the truth will ruin the club.

Not a simple minor injury mishap & setback, he literally almost lost his life because of the club. He's supposed to stay there and fix the club that almost killed him? I shit you not, Melbourne were dangerously close to having a manslaughter charge against them & probably folded.
So after he copped the knee from Moore, he wanted to come off but the club (docs coaches etc) persuaded/encouraged him to stay on the field and continue playing?

I don't know the answer in this case but a lot of the time you see players push docs away trying to be heroes instead of coming off to get assessed etc.

If the club did the wrong thing here then he should be telling the truth instead of making up reasons like he wants to play in front of large crowds...

So after he copped the knee from Moore, he wanted to come off but the club (docs coaches etc) persuaded/encouraged him to stay on the field and continue playing?

I don't know the answer in this case but a lot of the time you see players push docs away trying to be heroes instead of coming off to get assessed etc.

If the club did the wrong thing here then he should be telling the truth instead of making up reasons like he wants to play in front of large crowds...

Was desperate to stop playing.

Doctor gave him a jab to reinflate his collapsed lung, said he'd be fine. Got air in the bloodstream and almost died. NDA's signed everywhere at the hospital, was serious shit. Collingwood medics were horrified and even Collingwood players were instructed to take it easy on him with body contact - which they did.

If he told the full truth, the AFL and Melbourne would be in all sorts of serious shit.

Ian Aitken after the king hit from Clarkson. He was still a fairly good player, but he never hit the expected heights the pundits predicted for him.

Andrew Brayshaw has done okay since the Gaff hit. I think it’s the player and their support that would determine the outcome.

One thing is certain; if Trac was to be playing for Carlton next year, he would be more determined than any other year (barring his first) to prove his worth to the club, fans, haters and the footy public.

Look at the Hawks and their numbers of guns....quit the sugar hit and design a system that other teams struggle to breakdown

They haven't won anything yet.

Hawks have had a great year but they've caught teams on the hop, clubs will go to work on them in the off-season and it will be much harder for them from here.

Was desperate to stop playing.

Doctor gave him a jab to reinflate his collapsed lung, said he'd be fine. Got air in the bloodstream and almost died. NDA's signed everywhere at the hospital, was serious shit. Collingwood medics were horrified and even Collingwood players were instructed to take it easy on him with body contact - which they did.

If he told the full truth, the AFL and Melbourne would be in all sorts of serious shit.
If this is true then yeah I understand. I assumed he wanted to continue playing on.

Now if you know this to be true why wouldn't the AFL know it is true and why wouldn't they review it and take action?

Name a single reason Harry would even entertain going to Melbourne. That's what I want to know.
He's not going anywhere which is great.
However, in response to your post, viable reasons would be:
1) He could return to playing as full forward in a setup built around him as the focal point.
2) He probably wouldn't have to play in the ruck anymore, likely extending his career.

One thing is certain; if Trac was to be playing for Carlton next year, he would be more determined than any other year (barring his first) to prove his worth to the club, fans, haters and the footy public.
Agreed. He is a very competitive person and sets high standards for training, diet, recovery etc ... very professional. Reckon he would fit in with Walsh & Cripps in terms of mindset & approach very easily.

The draft needs to be redesigned. The rookie draft needs to be for players under 21. Those players play in the VFL alongside older players who haven’t made AFL lists. These can be your state or regional league level teams. When a player hits 21+, they can go into the National draft for the National competition. If the talent pool is drying up, find a new way to fill it up.

The idiots at the commission these days are not interested the health and well being of the competition, they’re only concerned with their phat bonus cheques and the kickbacks they get from gambling companies.
Say what? So you think that Nick Daicos should be just starting, Harry Sheezel should only be playing VFL and Harley Reid be still a couple of years away from playing?

If a player is good enough to play he should be playing AFL regardless of age (once they get to a draftable age) It's probably safer for the better players to be playing against the best players rather than hacks who aren't good enough to get on a senior list.

I don't understand any correlation between younger 19 & 20 year olds playing AFL and AFL commissioners getting bonus cheques from gambling companies?

But Newman's role is to be the attacking rebounder. Mentioned at the AA selection earlier this season and runner up in the B & F last year.

He's not the issue and you definitely wouldn't be wasting serious draft capital to replace him when we have other more urgent needs to my way of thinking.

I accept your view and don't think im being stubborn in saying Newman has a high ceiling but a low floor due to speed. His best is an 8 and his worst is a 3 due to lack of speed (in moments). Houston doesnt has that 3 in his floor is all i would say.

You could never question Newman's intent. I get it that you dont like me casting negative shade on Newman and accept that.

Not sure what the relevance of Danger’s and Cameron’s salaries are but they did give up 13, 15 and 20 for Cameron (which I think is unders). It‘s a bundle of picks that would certainly fit the argument many are raising here of putting their future on the line for a single player.

Doubt there’s much regret in Geelong town.
They also got pick 32 and another second rounder back. Pick 20 was more of a downgrade than a discreet pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back