Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I accept your view and don't think im being stubborn in saying Newman has a high ceiling but a low floor due to speed. His best is an 8 and his worst is a 3 due to lack of speed (in moments). Houston doesnt has that 3 in his floor is all i would say.

You could never question Newman's intent. I get it that you dont like me casting negative shade on Newman and accept that.
Far from it. You are entitled to cast negative shade on whomever you like. I just dont think that Newnan deserves it. Has averaged 23 + touches a game and I'd be surprised if he didn't finish top 3cin the B & F this year.

But my primary argument is that we have greater needs that we should focus on with our first rounder than finding a Newman replacement. I'd suggest that Cowan, O.Hollands and Wilson might hold us in good stead as young back flankers who might well fill the bill with Cincotta also in the equation.

For my money a strong key defender or a quick goalkicking midfielder (or a rare Petracca at the right non Harry McKay price) would be higher priority with our primary draft capital. But this is an opinion based forum so I understand that you might think differently.

Mortgaging our future for Petracca makes me very uneasy. He may not even come back the same player after his harrowing injuries.

On the other hand, you do need to take risks in order to win a premiership.

Still 70/30 against chasing him. 100% against if it means giving up any of Weitering, Cripps, Walsh, TDK, Curnow, or McKay.

Newman will be 32 and is 'very' slow. Yes he is good at rebounding and that is his thought, rebound - not defence. Yes he is good in the context of making a stand unlike some of the others. I like all his traits except his speed which is woefully slow.

Importantly, when the defence get caught out on the wing in a counter attack scenario you see Newman lose his man in sprints by 10-15 metres. The games is only choosing even quicker players every year.

So I'd replace Newman or boyd with him and he would be part of the back 7 'easily'. O Hollands is a gem but based on this season when Ollie was fumbling getting caught dead in tackles for that patch of the year, i'd bring houston up to the wing.

Do i think Newman puts everything on the line most weeks for us , yes. I like him. But if we want a flag we need to stop goals and Newman doesnt really stop goals going in...doesnt stop enough goals like the rest of our defence...instead he racks up 22-26 possessions in rebound footy.

Our back 7 are mentally inept back there and calamity prone. Is houston the absolute answer back there with the required traits - probably not. But he is an all australian that is a huge upgrade on Boyd, Cowan and Newman. and his utility value to go through the midfield or wing.
Newy is coming off a career year, rated amingst the top handful of general defenders, and clearly led all full time defenders in goal assists with 14. He also has relatively few miles on the clock for his age. He's not falling off a cliff.

Houston easily fits into our defensive set up without displacing Newman or Cowan.

But my primary argument is that we have greater needs that we should focus on with our first rounder than finding a Newman replacement. I'd suggest that Cowan, O.Hollands and Wilson might hold us in good stead as young back flankers who might well fill the bill with Cincotta also in the equation.

Agree. Houston isnt a priority at all and I've said it in at least 2 if not three posts previously.

Personally I want a second key defender that is more physical lockdown (budget May/Collins type). After that I'd prefer a mid with speed but i'm not sure there are any great options there.

After a KPDer, I'd really like Haynes next. Cheap and can play the role of interceptor properly (diet coke version of Stewart but better than what we have currently.

Unfortunately, without losing someone like McKay, how would we be able to afford Petracca financially and trade wise?
Considering we have to get pen to paper with TDK the following season
Would love to have Trac the thought of having him Cripps and TDK in the midfield is mouthwatering but, the cost to us in the long run is the concern for me.

Why do I feel like we are going to spend the next 7 weeks, and 30,000 posts discussing Petracca. Just for it to never happen

Because that's what we do in this thread, at least until something more exciting comes along to talk about.

Mind you, it's mostly the fors and against and it's the strongly worded dismissals that spark posters into biting back.

If everyone was respectful of each other's opinions, finishing with a wait and see attitude, I think it would die down a lot.

Newy is coming off a career year, rated amingst the top handful of general defenders, and clearly led all full time defenders in goal assists with 14. He also has relatively few miles on the clock for his age. He's not falling off a cliff.

Houston easily fits into our defensive set up without displacing Newman or Cowan.

Agree. Kemp was great at times too. Young good too. Mcgovern good at times too. I think my general point would be that during this season we often suffered calamity in defence where we cant stop inside 50s ending up in easy goals. Some of the blame is on the midfield/HFFers but def there is an imbalance in personnel in our defenders.

All of them want to be a rebounder first and not lockdown. Of course they lockdown well at times but it isnt natural. Young, Mcgovern and Kemp all like to float into a marking contests rather than body on body. We need to change up that mix with a budget May/Collins type and things will improve markedly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because that's what we do in this thread, at least until something more exciting comes along to talk about.

Mind you, it's mostly the fors and against and it's the strongly worded dismissals that spark posters into biting back.

If everyone was respectful of each other's opinions, finishing with a wait and see attitude, I think it would die down a lot.
So Harry's officially off the board now which has defused me somewhat. But the thing that I cannot reconcile is that even if we find a way to facilitate a trade that doesn't hurt us, the Pay packet would (as well as the discontent it would cause as everyone seems to have taken a pay cut to stay together) and we lose the opportunity to plug a massive hole in our defense with a KPD (and this is where I think some have their head in the sand). The fact is, we have a few 'Poor mans Petraccas' that are doing a pretty good job, but Weiters cannot continue to play a lone hand in defense. Young was just not up to the job against St Kilda.

Unfortunately, without losing someone like McKay, how would we be able to afford Petracca financially and trade wise?
I don't buy any of the carlton having a tight salary cap rubbish. You just use long term contracts which we are and would with Petrecca. It's not that hard to spread salaries out over 6 or 7 years and load them so they fit in comfortable.

It would also come down to whether he wants out bad enough and can force his contract to become void.

In a normal trade scenario, it would not be possible. We won't trade McKay.

If his contract is torn up then he will get here. I doubt it will get that far. But if it's possible, you would not write it off.

Melbourne imploding,tigers stripping it right back ahh the stuff dreams are made of.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
what tigers are doing isnt too bad thoguh is it?

Some senior players have already retired and some are moving on...theyve won 3 flags and its time to hit the draft.

Just passing on what someone who normally gives me correct info regarding team selection etc said. TDK is the name being heard a lot regarding petracca trade.
I'd personally throw up.
If they want TDK, I expect to see Trac and their 2024 first and their 2025 second and third and we might toss in a 5th round pick. I don't care how ****ing good Trac is, he is not worth TDK.

Tom Morris on Channel 9 news tonight said that Petracca has been wanting a trade for a couple months and Petracca believes he can still get to Carlton.

When did Petracca publicly state that he wants to go to Carlton? 🧐

I know I know Tom Morris!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back