Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

After just watching highlight videos of both Lalor and Draper, at 3 it has be to Draper. Lalor didn't stand out in any real way. Medium mid/fwd with no real stand out qualities. Looks ok against kids his age, don't think it would translate to AFL.

Draper has a good frame, burst of pace, and would have a relationship with Campos. Think he's Round 1 material.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Why is Draper ranked higher than camporeale (Ben) when Ben had a better year playing in the same teams.

Spent a few hours last night checking out this years top end draft picks. Having done that, I am ALL IN on trading 12 & 14 for three if it means we can secure Draper. He is EXACTLY what we need in the mid.

Cripps - Big bull
Walsh - Balanced endurance beast
Draper - Explosive breakaway speed
Cerra - Balanced, clean ball use
Hewett - No frills workhorse, accumulator and Mr. Fixit

Draper is the missing piece of the puzzle, really balances the mids, and opens up a lot more midfield options.

My 2c re Houston and seriously it is worth only that.

Will he make us better, no doubt! Is he the missing piece to winning a flag?

My 2c, how many "stars" do we need on big money? Cripps, Weiters, Harry, Charlie, TDK, do we need Houston as well on big money? We add Houston, these guys alone would be eating a 1/3 of our cap space based on $15million? Yes we would love Houston, but SDK or May would suit our structure better. We can't have all the stars and I know Vossy is pushing for him but we go back to relying on talent to win games for us on it's own. Structure, fitness and gameplan will see us improve.

Hopefully Inness can keep the majority of our list on the field for longer, a few tweaks to the game plan and I feel we would become the team we are meant to be.
How many starts, the perennial question!

Lions this year?

Yep, we could do with a couple more...

1728776585493.png

The issue with Gibbs wasn't being played off halfback his first few years. It was after he had that breakout 3rd year as a pure onballer we put him back again, giving him defensive jobs. It seemed his versatility worked against him as he got pushed down the pecking order for those that could only play mid.

That said, Gibbs lacked the competitiveness of the absolute champions. All class but not so much grit. Also, played in some awful teams. If he got drafted to Geelong I'm sure he wins at least 1-2 all australian jumpers.
Yep, too much hype and responsibility too young. Same with your namesake actually, who we would dearly like to redraft now and play as the outside mid he was best suited to playing as. Killed me watching them cracking rocks when they were capable of...sculpting marble or something

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yep. Also Selwood got to go directly into the midfield of a Premiership contender and his career flourished. Gibbs came into a dumpster fire with zero leadership.

The opportunity that Selwood was afforded would be offered to a gun young mid that we draft now. Into the midfield of a Premiership contender with great leadership. It's a great opportunity to create a great player.
Yep 100%, Cripps has bulldozed a path for those coming through. The immensity of the bloke..

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hold on. No real stand out qualities? I mean… I get preferring Draper over Lalor. Beauty is, after all, in the eye of the beholder.

But you are saying that a kid most AFL talent spotters have in the top 5-7 players in the draft has no real stand out qualities?

And you rate Draper’s pace, but see no pace in Lalor?

If he has no real stand out qualities, should he even be drafted?
Did I say he shouldn't be drafted?
I think he wouldn't be the best selection at pick 3 to take him. If he was our choice, I'd rather try our luck with 12 and 14.
Recruiters don't always get it right in the top 10 and there are always sliders.

I'm basing this all off 3 YouTube videos so I could be way off. As it's a forum, I'll voice what I think.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app

who you got at 3 El Tel?

one of Smith, Lalor, FoS and Draper?

I would personally go for Draper or Lalor, with FOS next.

Lalor has the highest ceiling and is still very much untapped. You don't get too many shots at someone with his profile ever.

Draper maybe the best option for us. Ready to play next year and exactly what we need added to our midfield.

FOS has to be a touch of a leap of faith surely. But so many people maintaining faith can't all be wrong either on logic.

Re: Moir

Confidence that his contract (that is already to 2026) will be extended early and out to 2028 or 2029.

Club is super excited by him and looking at how they can better integrate him into the 23 moving forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbs and Murphy were also in an envioronment that needed them to play from day 1 and never forced them to earn a spot. both very good players but both could have been more than they were in a different environment, injuries not withstanding

Lots of chatter in recent days about certain draftees that come in and make an immediate impact and sometimes even push a finals team to a premiership.

I would argue it mostly works the other way...

A premiership-esque list is what it usually takes for a kid to come in and make an immediate and material impact.

Not always. But usually.

This is fantasy land stuff. Not happening. Three live options still being considered (none of them involve Moir)

1. Turn 12 and 14 into 3 and some extra Campo points
2. Take 12 and 14 to the draft
3. Trade 12 for Houston and take 14 to the draft (if Pies / Suns / Power falls over)

I rate the likelihood in that order.
#1 is conditional in WCE not getting a better offer?

Confidence that his contract (that is already to 2026) will be extended early and out to 2028 or 2029.

Club is super excited by him and looking at how they can better integrate him into the 23 moving forward.
Please sir... Can we have some Moir...?

Yeap, from the moment he walked in the door

#1 is conditional in WCE not getting a better offer?

I wonder who else could offer a pick split.

Richmond could offer 6+10 (Bolton Trade) but they are early rebuild and would be better off with multiple picks and already have pick 1.

St Kilda could offer 7+8 but are also better off with multiple shots. Those picks are pretty high to be trading for 1 pick.

So I think realistically we are the best option.

The AFL.com article is suggesting a pick slide might help North get Houston, plus keep a selection in the first round. I guess it is similar to West Coast with Baker.

North also just can't keep picking elite mids and making others redundant, or they are just on a merry-go-round.

Phillips has already been pushed out of a regular game, Powell gets shunted into different roles. It may just suit them to get 2 players in other positions, rather than one "best available" at 2?

Concern with FOS is he struggles to win alot of the ball. After years of watching junior football this is one of the top red flags in terms of under-age midfield form not transitioning to afl.

Another is not having the bodysize to play the same role. That's my concern with Jager. Though I suspect he's clever enough to work around it.

Where is the talk of Moir from???

Just a wish on the Eagles board. I posted it as a dream. Not sure why people are running with it as being serious.

If you want a good example:

We took Gibbs over Joel Selwood and look at what he achieved let alone be captain of his premiership teams.

Thanks for that Sticks...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Gibbs was ranked number 1 by everybody. Selwood went at 7. This was not an example of poor decision making.

North also just can't keep picking elite mids and making others redundant, or they are just on a merry-go-round.

Phillips has already been pushed out of a regular game, Powell gets shunted into different roles. It may just suit them to get 2 players in other positions, rather than one "best available" at 2?

That's true. A Lindsay and a Trainor combo for example would fit them perfectly.

I'll never understand why clubs like WC, tigs and North aren't all over Kennedy. He'd be top 5 in their B&F next year. He's not a superstar but so much better than the spuds they've currently got in their best 22. And he's a solid citizen and would come cheap.

Baffling.
Midfield minutes taken away from young guys. They're not after a top 5 in their bnf in the next year, maybe 2. They're after sustainable growth and development. West coast have their slow older midfielders already to support tbe young guys, norths midfield basically do too plus theyre taking parker already.

Think I'd be pretty annoyed as a bottom club picking up Kennedy and playing him on ball. As a blues fan I love Matty but from another clubs perspective? Nah. Go away. Let's play the 20 year olds and rotate them in and out. Just my opinion. I'm sure there is interest but midfielders will remain the fastest to develop/ contribute at the top level so clubs will usually prefer to play their own when they're in those real develop and begin pushing up the ladder time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back