Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd very much hope that the rank and file wouldn't be hearing what we are looking to do prior to the trade period opening.

I've heard about 10 names linked to us by people of varying believability.
I hope you are right, I just have a feeling by the end of trade period we are gonna be extremely quiet and underwhelmed

Calling it now …

Haynes will be our only inclusion, we will take pick 11 to the draft and Owies, Kennedy and Lewis will all stay

Doesn’t seem like anything is happening
Would really like to see young traded out. Haynes has him covered. When not injured he’s better than I feel he’s getting credit for.

West Coast finished bottom last season and didn’t get their second round pick until 30, Pushed back 11 spots. The difference between 19 and 30 is bloody huge.
The entire system is a joke.

It is.
There is a difference in terms of how the extra 11 picks were introduced. The 5 Academy and 2 Father Sons were never really available to West Coast.
The problem is the 3 FA compo picks and the North Priority picks.

They should have been picking at 26, although that's where the Graham bid came, so really would have been 25.

The entire RFA & FA compensation system is unfortunately still flawed, band 1 should only apply to a club’s absolute top tier players…

I’ll use us for an example, Cripps Weitering Curnow McKay Walsh, all in our top money/contract earners to start of with, there should be a lot more weighted on Club Best & Fairest wins and finishes, All Australian, Coleman Medals, Certain Players Awards and Medals, Brownlow etc, basically the players career achievements…

There’s a fair idea by those in the industry of each clubs very best top handful of players, who would be eligible for a band1 compensation pick…

Clubs loosing players now are working in tandem with other clubs who are in a position to overpay for a player so each benefit from a draft pick perspective for one club and for the other a free hit as far as picks go but happily to stump up the price, good players but not deserving of the band1 draft pick…

The length of contract and salary as well as the age and games played for players of these types should be an end of first round pick, the AFL once again are allowing their ridiculous system to be manipulated by clubs far too easily…

Take away the easy sugar hit compensation, it’s a farce…

Bit of a joke Stkilda Pres Bassat saying the system is rigged and then they go and score pick 8 for Battle.
Must be the AFL appeasing him.

We should ask for another pick for giving Haynes a boost for his Super fund.

I don't think the AFL give enough of a shit about what Bassat or anyone else at St Kilda, or any of their sad sack fans for that matter, feel about the subject to go giving them handouts.

This will just be a case of Hawthorn offering a big contract to a free agent while they have spare cap space, at a time when the compensation criteria are probably a little skewed with contracts being handed out that accommodate future cap increases.

Not having compensation for free agents is not equalisation - its just a chance for strong teams to pillage less successful teams.

However there needs to be a much more transparent system for the compensation. Maybe a panel of five experts can sit and decide what pick would be given for the players loss based on ;

1) AND MOST IMPORTANTLY- what the player would be valued at in an actual trade at that time.

2) age, contract value, contract length.

Panel would consist of ex players, coaches, recruiters etc and panel members couldn't sit on a panel that involved any team that they had had a previous involvement with.

Josh Battle -probably worth about an early second round pick but add salary, contract length - gives StKilda an end of first rounder.

Panel publishes recommendation, transparency and common sense prevail.
I mean that already happens. No poor team ever signs a free agent and poor teams are incentivised to push their free agents out the door for higher compensation returns, thereby rewarding top end and middle teams.

For free agency to truly work we need to remove the salary cap floor or make it much lower, like 60%. The issue is the free agency contracts aren't real. Perryman isn't worth 90% of what Cripps is worth, he's worth about half or less. But the salary cap floor forces clubs to pay players within this spectrum of salary that isn't really that different.

What needs to happen is the floor needs to be removed so that a club like North Melbourne can offer 2m a year to Zach Merrett to entice him away. Then Essendon have $1m in salary to go an find a near enough replacement.

The reward in a free agency situation is that you have currency to go and find a replacement.

The issue is though, that the AFL need free agency to satisfy the players but they want to limit player movement as its inconsistent with AFL values where we have many more one club players, a greater influence of the draft and factors such as father son. If you had a true free agency system, you'd have a lot more player movement in your middle-tier playing list, which I think the AFL doesn't want (and I'd agree with them - i'd rather get rid of free agency but the way the AFL does it is annoying)

Not having compensation for free agents is not equalisation - its just a chance for strong teams to pillage less successful teams.
Collingwood is not exactly a strong team compared to GWS and picked up Perryman. Hawks are a good team but not exactly successful.

Maybe as another poster suggested compensation could be scaled depending on whether a FA is leaving a good team (no compensation) or a middle of the table team like StK (some compensation) or a bottom of the table team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The entire RFA & FA compensation system is unfortunately still flawed, band 1 should only apply to a club’s absolute top tier players…
If they must have compensation, Band 1 should apply to something like the top 25 % of AFL contracts (roughly top 10 player on any list), and should come with a 2nd round pick.
No compo in the first round.

I mean that already happens. No poor team ever signs a free agent and poor teams are incentivised to push their free agents out the door for higher compensation returns, thereby rewarding top end and middle teams.

For free agency to truly work we need to remove the salary cap floor or make it much lower, like 60%. The issue is the free agency contracts aren't real. Perryman isn't worth 90% of what Cripps is worth, he's worth about half or less. But the salary cap floor forces clubs to pay players within this spectrum of salary that isn't really that different.

What needs to happen is the floor needs to be removed so that a club like North Melbourne can offer 2m a year to Zach Merrett to entice him away. Then Essendon have $1m in salary to go an find a near enough replacement.

The reward in a free agency situation is that you have currency to go and find a replacement.

The issue is though, that the AFL need free agency to satisfy the players but they want to limit player movement as its inconsistent with AFL values where we have many more one club players, a greater influence of the draft and factors such as father son. If you had a true free agency system, you'd have a lot more player movement in your middle-tier playing list, which I think the AFL doesn't want (and I'd agree with them - i'd rather get rid of free agency but the way the AFL does it is annoying)
Actually my contention is that the issue is tied to where a club finishes regardless than the ability of the player that is leaving.

That leads to anomalies like StKilda getting pick 8 for Battle but the Hawks getting pick 17 for Buddy. (Or whatever it was).

Easy fix- just base compensation based on what a player would actually be worth on the open market and make adjustments from there. It would also make clubs desperate to keep players rather than make token efforts like North last season.

I don't think the AFL give enough of a shit about what Bassat or anyone else at St Kilda, or any of their sad sack fans for that matter, feel about the subject to go giving them handouts.

This will just be a case of Hawthorn offering a big contract to a free agent while they have spare cap space, at a time when the compensation criteria are probably a little skewed with contracts being handed out that accommodate future cap increases.

The contract wouldn't have hit what the AFL last year intimated would be the new requirement to hit Band 1.

Calling it now …

Haynes will be our only inclusion, we will take pick 11 to the draft and Owies, Kennedy and Lewis will all stay

Doesn’t seem like anything is happening

Day 1 of trade/free agency and you are calling it?

It's a no brainer for a StKilda president to whinge about all of the wrongs done to his club.

Helps their loser mentality supporters forget that most of said wrongs were self-inflicted (e.g 10c in the dollar, moving to Seaford, setting dwarfs on fire etc).

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back