Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Come on, don't be that hindsight guy with specific parameters to make a case.

1. It was Pick 8 at the time we traded.

2. We didn't know, and still don't, how many of those players will turn out. They are 22 yeah?

3. Max Holmes was taken at #20, Shannon Neale at #33, Beau McCreery at #44. Errol Gulden, while an academy selection, wasn't bid on until #32. That's why we don't use hindsight drafting to evaluate the worth of a trade.

4. Saad's AA season of 2022, was by far his best season in his career. I'm not sure if he was even in an AA squad until he joined us. Again, it's a hindsight call and not at all reflective of the trade at the time.

5. Saad was nominated for the rising star at Gold Coast, and Gold Coast only got a 2nd rounder from Essendon for him. After 3 seasons, Essendon converted that into Pick 8. We paid a premium based on our need for backline pace, no doubt about it.
We did pay overs thanks to Dodoro...

But this is what happens when we tell the whole world who we want before the trade week starts..

But Saad has been a welcome addition..

I think we got smarter with the Cerra trade and didn't let on so much...I may be remembering this wrong...

I'm sure I will be shot down and corrected anyway...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app

When a team is in their premiership window.

We are focusing ion the draft is code for, our cap is maxed out.

Only signing established players will convince me otherwise.
To a degree. I think we have the scope to ā€œstressā€ the cap, should Houston come at the right price. I donā€™t think high profile trades were ā€œthe planā€ leading in to this period.

Those ā€œunderwhelmedā€ by what we are looking at this year should prepare themselves for 2025. We are prepared to largely trade out of the draft next year for an extra pick (or trade) this year. We will have little capital left in 2025. Potentially we are preparing for a free agent, but I am not enamoured by the list coming up on a needs basis. We wonā€™t be trading 2026 back to 2025, with Cody Walker being in 2026.

We have an unwieldy number of stars on big incomes, there is not much wriggle room. Then we will have the prospect of signing both Weitering and De Koning in the near future impacting the cap. Hopefully a couple of young break outs also apply some pressure.

Drafting reduces pressures on the cap. Drafting judiciously fills a couple of glaring gaps on the list. Austin clearly projected the need for run and skill, along with the need for a KPD. Two(or three) quality additions in that space along with the Campo boys and what they add to the midfield progression plans.

We have an established list able to contend. Some tweaks in personnel and preparation along with selection availability and possibly integrity will see us right.

We did pay overs thanks to Dodoro...

But this is what happens when we tell the whole world who we want before the trade week starts..

But Saad has been a welcome addition..

I think we got smarter with the Cerra trade and didn't let on so much...I may be remembering this wrong...

I'm sure I will be shot down and corrected anyway...

On CPH2135 using BigFooty.com mobile app
100% with saad told everyone we wanted him and Essendon got wind we were going to try and split pick 8 if I recall correctly

Walsh had no preseason for the second year in a row, and copped a knock to his hip that clearly hampered him in the last 6 weeks or so. Charlie was constantly having to manage an ankle niggle from round 2 onwards. Cerra hurt most of the year too, TDK hurt from the second North game onwards. All those guys are top 8 players in our team when fully fit
top 8 in any team.

ā€œMembryā€ - the answer to the quiz question ā€œwho can we bring in for Owies who is worse at ground level, apply less pressure than & get in Charlie & Hā€™s wayā€.

He should be offered a VFL contract & picked up mid season if something goes horribly wrong - he can be Crocker 2.0 in the 2s.

Going way in the wrong direction to give him a list spot, would much rather a speculative mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ā€œMembryā€ - the answer to the quiz question ā€œwho can we bring in for Owies who is worse at ground level, apply less pressure than & get in Charlie & Hā€™s wayā€.

He should be offered a VFL contract & picked up mid season if something goes horribly wrong - he can be Crocker 2.0 in the 2s.

Going way in the wrong direction to give him a list spot, would much rather a speculative mid.
Or maybe Charlie and Harry would get in way of Membrey. Membrey is a solid reliable forward.

Yes we overpaid and maybe we had to; maybe austin was weak. But it hurts us now. Pick 8 for 3-5 years footy is a lot.

It's why we look fools when talking to Port Adelaide about Houston right now. Roughly same age but Houston is a bonafide all Australian under contract while Saad wasn't. I'd agree Saad was close but in the actual deal itself, and out in the media, it is points against.

Port is looking at pick 13 and saying take a run and jump because of the Saad deal. Austin has nothing to fight back with and it is of his own making.

Austin not fighting hard enough vs the Dodo bird costs us now. Austin cant now say its not about All australian it is about years of footy left. A ten year draftee vs 3-4 years of service. He cant say that because he already bent over for Saad.
nope.

They're huffing and puffing now....

Let's see where they are when there's an hour left before the final bell....

Slice it anyway you wish, it's one first rounder in each case... throw in some steak knives for Houston....

And that's what'll happen if we get the GC pick.

Just don't see any rationale to say if Saad was worth 1 first, Houston is worth two firsts....

Or maybe Charlie and Harry would get in way of Membrey. Membrey is a solid reliable forward.
Yeah- No, we have 2 game changing Coleman medal winning forwards, they take priority over Membry.

We need someone working there ass off providing leads drawing attention off our KF, then have the pace/footy IQ to apply pressure weak side to stop the ball flying out of our forward line.
Thatā€™s Kemp/JSOS all day, everyday over Membrey.

We need pressure/spread/cohesive movement not another option to dump the ball on there head.
Say what u like about Ross Lyon but he is not dumb or tactically inept, thereā€™s a reason heā€™s not keeping him.

Our game plan should be going in the exact opposite direction, speed/pressure & opening up the forward line not ol two foot jump in the air & then be a heavily tatted witches hat

Hard to find a spot in the 22 for JSOS if Membrey comes in...
People really have forgotten that JSOS was finally killing it before he got injured, with TDK taking a massive leap forward, JSOS/H as the back up make us a lot more dangerous.

Games arenā€™t won by what side looks better on paper at the start of the game - we have proved that time and again.
Smart, hardworking players that make everyone around them better - who also donā€™t lose contests are vitally important.

What the stats will never tell you is when u just have to win or halve a contest - who does that for u. Thatā€™s Crippa & thatā€™s JSOS, when it matters he delivers & gets better as it gets harder.

I am a bit concerned we've traded away too many picks over the past couple of years and getting Houston will exacerbate that, setting us up for failure in the medium term because of lack of renewal on our list. It's betting the farm on immediate success but the consequence could be bottoming out hard when Tassie hits the scene and the draft is (again) terribly compromised.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back