Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

If Curnow and Harry have 5+ years before then (i agree) why is 6 years irresponsible for Houston? He’s the same age.
in the context of the pies offer or a hypothetical Carlton offer?

I think it's because of this text my mate sent me....

'We moved Taylor Adams on thankfully, now we have to manage Sidebottom & Pendlebury. Don’t forget about Howe & Elliott. Cox is 33, Hoskin-Elliott is 31 and nobody is talking about Cameron turning 30 next year. We’ll need another couple of rucks soon. Maynard & De Goey are 28. Mihocek & Mitchell are 31…Frampton & Markov are 28. McStay is 29. Josh Daicos is 25 & Lipinski is 26…they’re not kids. So we trade for two players in their mid 20’s and offer them 6 year deals ffs…'

I'd add they don't have any capital left to rejuvenate and won't have access to top talent when Tasmania comes in anyway.

I don't think it's the contact length that's bad though for Houston. It's just the getting of Houston that's bad they're full blown mortgaging any future with Tasmania coming in.
Owies isn't attracting interest because he is a small that doesnt crumb, doesn't burst clear with speed on the rebound and isn't a huge pressure player.

He is a smart footballer who knows how to find space when disrespected by his opponent and he makes the most of his chances with good kicking, he would be far less effective in a side without 2 big key talls that can draw a crowd and he has very little room for improvement left in his game.

I love him but I can't see why anyone would give up more than a 3rd or 4th round pick for him
^^^^^^^

F1 and/or F2 for picks this year?
Names like Ethan Phillips (and there will be heaps of others) that we can pick up for nothing

It's very easy
I would usually agree with you on that Soap but i can't see any of the teams who have picks in a realistic trade range wanting to move out of this draft class.

Happy to give Phillips a go but he doesn't have any runs on the board yet.

It shouldn't be one or the other though?
I meant broadly speaking, the two directions we could take in this trade period.

The reality is we could afford Houston, but it would significantly compromise our strategy of hitting the draft to ease SC and set us up with a more balanced list for the future as Tas enters etc

I'm an Owies fan but.

A bit out of left field as you would not perceive them as similar players but is the belief that Moir will play the role that Owies played this year?

I think the club's view would be that JSOS and Kemp are Best 22 marking forward options, and versatile enough that you can maybe even fit both in the team together. Then Moir has shown signs, and while he may not be able to front up 4 quarters every week we should be looking to use him when possible (ie. when forced changes open up a spot for a marking forward). Owies' rates ahead of Moir at the moment if you want a bloke to play 20+ games, but if you only need 10 games out of one of them, then investing time into the higher ceiling kid is the smart move. I don't think Owies is ever going to be a 50 goal forward, while I think if Moir kicks on he could have those sorts of seasons.

And Owies, while physically a small forward, plays like an undersized third tall. He can find space when the oppo defenders play off him, he can sneak out the back for an easy mark on the rebound, but he's not the type to rove the fall at a contest or beat an oppo small in a footrace to goal.

Leaves him as a solid fourth in line for the medium forward gig, and maybe anywhere from third to sixth in line for a crumbing small role to which he's not overly well suited (Williams Motlop, Durdin, Fogarty...a draftee?).

Output over the last two years is the argument for keeping Owies. But expected output over the next 2+ years is what the decision is ultimately made on.

Correct
Happy for someone to go through every premiership team in the last 10-20-30 years and tell me which player who came to the club in that premiership year was the difference between that club winning the flag and not winning the flag
Richmond getting Nankervis, Prestia and Caddy was a pivotal offseason. Obviously more than 1 player.

You could certainly argue that they wouldn't have won '17 without getting Nank.

Yes, stats don’t always show the full picture, but I’d absolutely argue that half back is nowhere near a position of need, no matter how elite.

I’d also argue that Newman is not that far off of Houston in terms of kicking ability, and he’s a better defender.

We are ok.

If we get Houston at our price, perfect, if not, we move forward.

69a8d853ea08366cc77c2d711f17c64e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newman will be 32 at the start of the next season too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would usually agree with you on that Soap but i can't see any of the teams who have picks in a realistic trade range wanting to move out of this draft class.

Happy to give Phillips a go but he doesn't have any runs on the board yet.

It's an unusual year. Whilst this is a strong draft class (which would normally make it tough to move up) there are plenty of clubs who either have loads of first round picks or academy bid situations.

Lions (20), Goldcoast (13), Essendon (9) all have picks that they need to move out due to bids

Richmond (assuming the freo trade goes through) will have 1,6,10,14,18 plus 3-4 2nd rounders that they don't even have list spots for.

GWS have 15,16,21.

As far as competition it's not as stiff as it seems. Any team that is a realistic chance of finishing bottom 6 can't be trading F1 for a teens pick this year. Other clubs have their currency tied up in trades.

I personally would only want our F1 involved if the pick is <15 .

We also have the advantage of knowing 33 likely gets swallowed by a campo bid so can throw it in to get a trade over the line without losing much.

Correct
Happy for someone to go through every premiership team in the last 10-20-30 years and tell me which player who came to the club in that premiership year was the difference between that club winning the flag and not winning the flag
Brian Lake another one.

Particularly with all the Hawk's prelims in their premiership years decided by a kick.

Just out of curiosity, I had a look at the 2024 stats for Newman and Houston, thinking Houston would be a fair way ahead. Alas he's not. Total metres gained is very similar and it's also very close in disposal efficiency, which I was pretty surprised about.
Newman is pretty underrated IMO, the only thing against him is age now.

I don't know all the ins and outs but there are a couple of clubs that are happy to trade out this year for next years picks

PS marchmurphy3 with post #7,989 explains it very well

Last edited:
I’d argue 3 years for Newy (Half backs can last longer than most other positions)

Also, you’re not taking into consideration how good and handy the drafted players will be, and we will (hopefully) get 10+ years out of them.

We will absolutely be fine with or without Houston, don’t let the wanting of the shiny new toy fool you.
never have, never will.

DH is not the messiah, but anyone suggesting he wouldn't add a lot to our onfield output needs to reflect a bit more about our current skill shortcomings...

never have, never will.

DH is not the messiah, but anyone suggesting he wouldn't add a lot to our onfield output needs to reflect a bit more about our current skill shortcomings...

No one is saying he wouldn’t, we are saying he isn’t worth what port value him at is all.

The smarter play is getting 2 top 15 picks, saving a ton of money and using that one re signing our superstars.

The sheer arrogance of Collingwood supporters calling into SEN abusing Sam Edmund for his report earlier this week, acting like Houston is already a pie

Vile, disgusting breed they are pies supporters … hope somehow Houston becomes a blue
I'm trying to remember who it was but someone was interviewing Jack Crisp yesterday about how great it is to have Houston in the defence... Crisp kind of laughed and said there is still a lot of work to do...

The whole Owies thing doesn't sit well with me. I understand that he is the guy out of contract & there are too many small forwards etc etc. I actually like him as a player, limited as he is, but my issue is with the logic behind it.

Carlton has been the club of hope & potential for way too long. Too many players with injury history recruited in the hope that they'll come good. Too many players rushed back from injury in the hope that they'll play well. Too many contracts issued on potential.

When is the club going to be more courageous & base decisions on hard facts like actual goals kicked in AFL games? If Motlop or Durdin had two 30 goal seasons back to back, they'd get a tick. Owies does it & gets the punt because he apparently doesn't have as much potential or upside.

It just feels like more playing favorites, like we saw with selection this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back