Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of probabilities...

In last 20 years...

Pick 3-5 has a 1 in 3.3 chance of ending up All-Australian.

Picks 11-20 have a 1 in 5.8 chance.
So if we have two of the latter, do we come in to 2 / 5.8 = 1 / 2.9 chance of having one All Australian?

Nope, that's wrong, my science degree, PhD and 25 years of subsequent experience have been an absolute waste of time...

Damn your tricky fractions ferris, give me percentages or give me death!

Paddy Dow was a #3 pick.

Spread your risk....

That's why one of 12 or 14 should be used on Houston....
I like this approach - hopefully they’re considering this option also.

If The Wobblers can’t get their hands on 13 (looking likely at this stage), Houston reportedly doesn’t want to go to North, if we can entice a split of 12 for two later 1st round pics - Port might just settle for it in a very strong draft.

By all reports, it’s unlikely - but hopefully it’s being discussed in any case.

Just a random thought that's probably already been discussed, but with very little mentioned about Carroll, I'm kind of thinking that we're just waiting on the WCE trades with Barrass, Baker etc before we negotiate with them.

They're up to their necks in trades, and there'll be draft picks flying everywhere, so we just have to wait to see what the fallout is after the dust settles. Probably just a late pick to get extra points for the Campo bids, but still a lot to play out either way.

On draft night if Tauru was their at 12 & someone came knocking, we can take him or demand a windfall 2024 late first future first and future 2nd. Carlton may have taken control of the tollgate to the only bridge to some clubs draft needs. We just need to have the courage to negotiate hard
If Tauru is their at pick 12 then take Tauru.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like this approach - hopefully they’re considering this option also.

If The Wobblers can’t get their hands on 13 (looking likely at this stage), Houston reportedly doesn’t want to go to North, if we can entice a split of 12 for two later 1st round pics - Port might just settle for it in a very strong draft.

By all reports, it’s unlikely - but hopefully it’s being discussed in any case.
I doubt Houston wants to go the Pies either!!

So if we have two of the latter, do we come in to 2 / 5.8 = 1 / 2.9 chance of having one All Australian?

Nope, that's wrong, my science degree, PhD and 25 years of subsequent experience have been an absolute waste of time...

Damn your tricky fractions ferris, give me percentages or give me death!
3% chance of two
29% chance of one
68% chance of none

I think

May be unrealistic but Trainor looks like he could play CHB next year:

Such a mature build already - 194 and quick.

If it's a straight choice between Houston and someone like him - it's a no-brainer for me. We've got a gigantic hole in our list at CHB. It has to be the #1 priority.

We also need a fast small forward.

Trainor is one of the players I'd be happy with at our picks. Supposedly more of an attacking rebounding type of tall, but that doesn't mean he can't defend as well. At the very least, he'd be a taller Gov replacement.

Yes please.

I don’t understand the want to trade Carroll when we’re literally looking for young talent. We’ve invested 3 years into him - why trade him out now?

Because he is very similar to what we already have. Inside tough mid and not a great ball user. We need quicker players and better ball use

Club don't believe we can fit Cripps Hewett Kennedy Carroll and possibly Lord all in the same side

Maybe a bit tough on Carroll but you need to make tough decisions to improve

Just because the cap is going up doesn’t mean there isn’t a bigger risk taking on large, long contracts for older players than there is for shorter, much lower contracts.
Again:

1. Are we in a premiership window now?
2. How much does Voss et al. reckon DH will improve our onfield performance?
3. How long before a drafted player will add to our onfield output, if at all?
4. How many years do each of Doc, Newman and Saad have left?

For me the answers are:

1. Yes. 100%. Need better injury management/luck....
2. A lot imo - his ball use is superb. We have little of that presently.
3. Who f'n knows - you'd think, two years at least (and again, if they make it).
4. maybe 1 year, maybe 2 years, maybe 3 years.

Not ignoring that at all. What are you basing that presumption on exactly?

We will lose - Martin, Marchbank, Cuningham, likely one (or both) of Owies or Kennedy - and S. Durdin if we keep Young.

AND

View attachment 2139001

So, no. No ignorance!

50/50 whether a draftee at 12 or 14 makes it....

Houston will be a fine player, 100% guaranteed.
Those figures you’ve put up aren’t for the salary cap, that’s the soft cap, the salary cap increases next year by a few Million $$$$.

But reports have lots of existing contracts increasing in line with the changes

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back