Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the pick swap with Brisbane.

1) Brisbane would be expected to finish higher than us next year
2) This year's draft is supposed to be a super draft
3) Current year picks usually carry a solid premium to next year's

I realise we wanted to turf the pick due to a possible Campo bid. Just think we should have done better out of it.
Nothing to do with Campo bid, was so we could do the deal with Hawthorn

Re: Moir

Confidence that his contract (that is already to 2026) will be extended early and out to 2028 or 2029.

Club is super excited by him and looking at how they can better integrate him into the 23 moving forward.

Playing him in more games would be a good start.

Ashcroft and O’Sullivan are the standouts, then throw a blanket over the next dozen or so, several good midfielders in the group which become scarce after that, however several good tall / KPP and smal forwards selections well into mid / late twenties.
I’d prefer maintain our 2 selections.

I`m with you, I would like to see us hold our two 1st rounders & hit the draft. If we trade up to 3, I worry about the pressure we place on the kid we pick....IMHO Stocker is an example of a kid drowning in expectation when we drafted him.

I'm a bit underwhelmed by the pick swap with Brisbane.

1) Brisbane would be expected to finish higher than us next year
2) This year's draft is supposed to be a super draft
3) Current year picks usually carry a solid premium to next year's

I realise we wanted to turf the pick due to a possible Campo bid. Just think we should have done better out of it.

Yeah agreed. Not sure if we tried to go after *'s F2 with 34, but I'd be really surprised if we didn't at least try that.

Why do so many want to "take a punt" with injury prone or failed players from other clubs? We've just started clearing the decks of our own stable of these types. Some of the names!!! Please we're done with these types. They clog and complicate your list.

Good clubs do this well.

Lions brought in Payne for example who struggled previously but played a role in GF side. Ah Chee was struggling at GCS. Every flag side has these players. You need 30 or more players contributing to win a flag.

As much as we all get excited by early picks and names like Houston it’s our ability to nail a couple of later players that can take us further.

A List Managers ability to maximise late picks, rookies or improve DFAs can make a massive difference to a side

Best sides get value out of recycled players.

Surely this is not controversial.

Oleg Markov played in a premiership last year.

Tyson Stengle the year before.

On Pixel 7a using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gibbs was ranked number 1 by everybody. Selwood went at 7. This was not an example of poor decision making.
Funny that people forget that Selwood came into an awesome side with the best mid fielder in the modern game, taking two opponents with him whenever he was near the ball.
Being hard as cats head is also something u can’t exactly test for.

And don’t get your knickers in a knot - Crippa is amazing but prime Ablett could do everything Crippa can do and with more burst and had a better kick & goal sense

Last edited:
Gibbs was ranked number 1 by everybody. Selwood went at 7. This was not an example of poor decision making.
I remember speaking to pickers outside sen in rich 3 days prior to draft and I asked him who he thought Carl would go for and he said Gibbs 100% and also stated that Selwood was the best out of the lot but we already had Gibbs locked in

Carlton out: 12, 14, F3
WCE out: 3, 63, 68, F2

That’s the deal I’d be looking to do if WCE really are keen to move back. Also means we could look to move WCE’s F2 on to someone to hopefully get a pick 25 - 30

Not a fan.Its like putting your eggs in one basket (ie Dow).At least with 2 picks if you get 2 chances of a quality player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Carlton out: 12, 14, F3
WCE out: 3, 63, 68, F2

That’s the deal I’d be looking to do if WCE really are keen to move back. Also means we could look to move WCE’s F2 on to someone to hopefully get a pick 25 - 30
Only thing - we'd have to get a F3 back if we trade that F2. Might be tricky.

Why do so many want to "take a punt" with injury prone or failed players from other clubs? We've just started clearing the decks of our own stable of these types. Some of the names!!! Please we're done with these types. They clog and complicate your list.
Because a lot are still kids, injury & mind set can hold u back.
I’m all for someone who realizes that they are getting a second chance & will bust their butt to take it with both hands.

It’s a rarity that a kid comes in with full developed & professional mindset, having a bit of over confidence knocked out of u & realizing that your career is fleeting can lead to great results.
They are all talented - who learns the most & works hardest achieve the most of themselves.
It’s easier to work harder when u get a good hard slap of reality that talent only gets u so far. Injuries also heal - but they can linger and stifle u to start with.

Just for a bit of perspective below is a list from 2013 onwards of what was drafted at 3 vs 12 and 14 taking out Father son and Academy selections in the draft order.

2013 - Jack Billings - Pat Cripps and Zac Jones
2014 - Andrew Brayshaw - Luke Weller and Sam Durdin
2015 - Clayton Oliver - Tom Doedee and Ryan Burton
2016 - Hugh McCluggage - Jordan Gallucci and Jarrod Berry
2017 - Paddy Dow - Darcy Fogarty and Matthew Ling
2018 - Izzac Rankine - Jordan Clark and Sam Sturt
2019 - Luke Jackson - Miles Bergman and Copper Stephens
2020 - Logan McDonald - Heath Chapman and Oliver Henry
2021 - Mac Andrew - Campbell Chesser and Darcy Wilmont
2022 - George Wardlaw - Elijah Hewitt and Josh Weddle
2023 - Zane Duursma- Kolthyn Thorlsup and James Leaske

I think this shows that pick 3 wins overall although i am sure if you did a list what was best available at those picks with hindsight it might be a different result.

Not a fan.Its like putting your eggs in one basket (ie Dow).At least with 2 picks if you get 2 chances of a quality player.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yeah I’d prefer to go to the draft with 12 and 14 don’t get me wrong. But if we do trade with WCE for 3, I’d hope we strengthen our 2025 hand some way and then maybe trade back into this years draft

See my post on clearing out only to bring in more.😛😉

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVI - 'Loopy' Season in full swing

Remove this Banner Ad

Back