Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

If we did slide 3 down to 6 are we still guaranteed a gun midfielder or are there only 5 players in the upper elite level this year and then the remainder all about even for the next 20?
In my uneducated opinion there is a clear top 4.

Lol watching Footy Furnace. They were just talking about Kemp.

Last guy at the table was like “I can’t believe they said no to a Future 2. That will be in the 20’s”

Yeah, we said no because Kemp is more valuable than that.

Future 2nd rounder is a pick 40+ next year if not 50. It makes those shows hard to watch when one of them says something blatantly wrong and the others just let it slide.

Weaknesses on

Draper:

• Kicking, particularly on the run... although he is putting a lot of work in to improve in this area.
  • decision making lets him down at times

FOS:

• doesn't accumulate but can be impactful when he gets it
  • multiple injuries lead to an interrupted season where he didn't showcase his best

Lalor:

• Can he translate his physicality to AFL level?
  • Significant injuries at the start and end of the season (high grade hammy)

Smith:

• Possibly not as talented or damaging as the others

I think Smith is the safest, Lalor is the most impactful, FOS is the biggest risk and Draper the most ready made given his time playing SANFL.

Really, shouldn't miss with any of these...

SEN today saying that the Tiggs could be looking at moving up the draft. Potentially they could jag Lalor and Smith (who played VFL for them) with pick 1 and 3.

Would we entertain trading pick 3 for pick 6 and 10/11? Pick 38 then gets traded back to 2025.
I guess it depends on how you rate the next few picks.

BTW, hardly anyone mentions Langford or Reid as likely top 3 or 4, and I'm wondering why?
Cal Twomey has rated them at 2 & 5 respectively, which when you take Ashcroft out as #1, makes them 1 & 4.

Langford has very good ball use but he's not quick so I guess that's going to count him out.

Weaknesses on

Draper:

• Kicking, particularly on the run... although he is putting a lot of work in to improve in this area.

FOS:

• multiple injuries lead to an interrupted season where he didn't showcase his best

Lalor:

Smith:

I think Smith is the safest, Lalor is the most impactful, FOS is the biggest risk and Draper the most ready made given his time playing SANFL.

Yeah, I really feel like we have hit the sweet spot in this draft. These four plus Ashcroft are the spots before a little bit of a drop.

My favourite is Draper. I just feel that he is what our midfield is missing.

Weaknesses on

Draper:

FOS:

Lalor:

Smith:

How about their strength?

Draper - could be Paddy Dangerfield, could be Paddy Dow 😬😬

I guess it depends on how you rate the next few picks.

BTW, hardly anyone mentions Langford or Reid as likely top 3 or 4, and I'm wondering why?
Cal Twomey has rated them at 2 & 5 respectively, which when you take Ashcroft out as #1, makes them 1 & 4.

Langford has very good ball use but he's not quick so I guess that's going to count him out.
Spot on.....there were a few on SEN saying that you don't trade up to a pick 3 unless you have your eyes firmly set on someone.

If the media reports have any legs and we're supposedly targeting FOS - if he's gone by our pick, do we possibly trade down? For example, 6 and 10/11 would potentially get us players like Tauru and Berry.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much of his nose is out of joint now. If not played to his strengths or dropped again he’ll go into self preservation mode and will be a Saint for a pack of Tim tams next trade period.
That's why I'm pissed they didn't just say 'NO - he's a required player' from the outset. Mulling it over, while SOS kicks tires, has got to piss Kempy off and make him feel a bit underappreciated.

It may kick him into gear but so could backing him by saying 'no' from the start.

Draper - could be Paddy Dangerfield, could be Paddy Dow

Could be Chris Judd.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Spot on.....there were a few on SEN saying that you don't trade up to a pick 3 unless you have your eyes firmly set on someone.

If the media reports have any legs and we're supposedly targeting FOS - if he's gone by our pick, do we possibly trade down? For example, 6 and 10/11 would potentially get us players like Tauru and Berry.....
When we had pick 12, I was very set on Trainor (and still think he's exactly what we need down back), but never really considered any of the earlier picks.

Like most, I thought Draper looked the part, and has played with the Campos, so I was open to that, but now I'm starting to think FOS is worth the risk. He isnt an accumulator but makes things happen.

We desperately need someone like that as we are too indecisive overall as a team.
Would be happy with Tauru as well.

EDIT: So I guess if FOS is gone I'd do the split and probably try for Draper/Tauru/Trainor

I was surprised we took pick 38 for Kennedy instead of a future pick due to a bid on Ben, quite a bit of risk with that pick and we are expecting a decent slide from Ben who had a very strong year.

I also wonder if we have asked the AFL if we could trade our F2 in case we wanted to package it with 38 to get up the board a little. Other clubs seem to get permission to bend the rules.

I have no idea of the quality of the kids in the 4-8 bracket, but i wonder what another club would pay for us to go from 3-5 for example or what Richmond would give us to go from 6 to 3.

3 and 38 for 6 and 18 possibly.

We desperately need to add a KPD, we aren’t doing it at 3 so hopefully it happens somewhere and then we still haven’t addressed any needs forward of centre which is a huge need for us.

This is why i thought 12 and 14 was a better option for us.
38 is more valuable than F2, and gives us more flexibility. If a bid for Ben comes early, we can just trade it for an F2.

Pretty unlikely we would be given permission to trade our (BL’s) F2 straight up given we’re out of the first round.

Reckon we’ll be keeping 3.

I also liked the 12 + 14 option more, but let’s see what happens at the draft.

That's why I'm pissed they didn't just say 'NO - he's a required player' from the outset. Mulling it over, while SOS kicks tires, has got to piss Kempy off and make him feel a bit underappreciated.

It may kick him into gear but so could backing him by saying 'no' from the start.

My read of it we did, thanks for your shit offer but no thanks
You’re reading far too much into media filler

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mark this comment and throw eggs at me in 12 months if I’m wrong…. But I feel extremely quietly confident on next year. Not saying the cup is already in the cabinet but I feel good about it for some reason. Long time sufferer and haven’t felt like this for 30 odd full sun cycles..

I was at the Gabba for our prelim loss last year with my son. We had so much joy together in the first quarter where we hit the big green button. First time I saw in my 12 yo face (for first time) the old bagger belief. We ran out of puff and capitulated but what a comeback year. My son was so bullish for this year but I had a deep feeling of dread that disappointment would come. And it did.

But I feel calm about the baggers again. I feel the club is finally embracing our mistakes and learning from them. I think we have made bold decisions in the off season and I am sad to see Owies and Kennedy go because I love them… but life involves grief and how you move forward from it.

These sad decisions were the right calls for the club. For us. For the blue bagger in us all. Good things will come. It starts next year.

On a side note, mate of mine played all junior footy with Mr Wright and been good friends all the way through. GW has always given info on certain people in the industry but never when the info has been critical to affect the situation if that makes sense.

Nothing ever was relayed about possible trades over the years. The ultimate professional. The greatest ships always have the greatest captains… we are in good hands and finally Elliot’s arrogance and the curse it brought our club can be cleansed.

I feel quite good about it too, but it’s going to be a bloody strong top 8 next year. Far stronger than this year imo.

Whichever team wins, they’ll certainly have earnt it. We absolutely should be in the conversation, but so many good teams to get past.

Lions would have been clear favourites if not for JD retiring, so that’s handy (though still favs for sure), but feel Dockers are going to be right up there… Giants, Cats, Swans, Blues, Dogs .. Pies, Hawks, Port, Demons …. Bloody hell - a lot of powerful teams there.

There are going to be some serious spankings of the lower teams I think.

Could be a bit of a joke with Tigers and Eagles potentially really shaping the final make-up of the 8 depending on which teams get to play them twice.

Draper's handballing is elite. Very much like Greg Williams, he doesn't handball to players, he handballs to where they need to go. Not many have this vision. This type of skill makes fellow midfielders look even better than they are because they are sent in the right directions and have two or three metres on their opponent and are off. Those types of clearances are gold, lifts the whole team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back