Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm completely neutral on Kemp. Glad that we didn't firesale him, especially to the Saints . However he hasn't particularly moved the needle at all yet. Can't ever see him being a midfielder despite what some on here say. Definitely isn't a KPD.

I've said it many times, has great hands but doesn't seem to be able to body players or handle being bodied himself. Nice step, good long kick but not a good set shot.

This must be his year. Work on his weaknesses and if JSOS is going back there will be opportunities up forward. Grab those opportunities and he will have a long career in the navy blue. However it might be time for some on here to view him through the same set of glasses that they use to critique others.
Been played out of position in roles that don't suite him. Cripps would be doing the same if played at full back or full forward.

He's an attacking weapon. Not a lockdown player. When we give him some freedom to hunt the footy we will see it all unfold. I think he is suited to half back flank, third tall forward, probably wing and maybe on the ball.

What you are seeing is a player being out bodied playing on bigger opposition. Up forward he will get space to work in and third tall defenders to deal with. Not playing on CHF or big forward pockets.

I'm backing him in, he will go well but may need a little time settling in.

Lord did something in two games none of our other mids do that we desperately lack. Leaves his man, covers ground quick and runs opposition players down. If Voss has any wits about him at all, Lord is a player he will be pushing to play senior football.

In his last game, Lord was only on the ground 62%. He had 7 tackles and 19 possessions. How anyone can be dropped after a game like that and considering our weaknesses is mind-boggling.

If Lord is not in Voss' favorites and becomes one of these players who can never get a game we can start talking about changing the coach. He is a player we need to be going to lengths to make sure he is in the side.

...and he can play as a swingman and thrown back when needed.

Might sound silly but I wonder how he'd go as that JSOS style second ruckman at times. He's got a bloody leap on him and is strong.
I have had the same thoughts. I think only ok. Silvagni is a better user of his body and possible a better leap.

McKay was outstanding in the ruck this season, actually turned momentum at times for us. This has to stay.

Having a real third tall in Kemp and a forward pocket who is good overhead like Moir means when McKay goes on the ball we are ok.

Our issue is too many small forwards with no overhead game. Next year McKay, Curnow, Moir and Kemp all have strong overhead games. 4 is better than 2.

Plus TDK can rest at full forward more. IMO McKay should ruck more and DeKoning should go to full forward more.

Lord’s strength is his hands in congestion, reading it’s also a strength of Draper, Cripps not bad at it either…..

Wondering if Draper is the absolute right fit….

We need some silky kicking runners to give it to on the outside!!

I think what our midfield needs is that bit of speed, ability to slip through traffic and create, and scoreboard impact. On those traits alone FOS is that guy. But I do worry that he doesn’t find enough of the ball and there’s enough lessons out there to know this is a trait that doesn’t rapidly improve at AFL level. FOS to me seems the most boom or bust of the guys we’re touted to be looking at. The ultimate risk vs reward prospect. I do prefer others ahead of him as I think their games will project better at AFL level but if we do take FOS I can see why we could be seduced by his traits.

Lord did something in two games none of our other mids do that we desperately lack. Leaves his man, covers ground quick and runs opposition players down. If Voss has any wits about him at all, Lord is a player he will be pushing to play senior football.

In his last game, Lord was only on the ground 62%. He had 7 tackles and 19 possessions. How anyone can be dropped after a game like that and considering our weaknesses is mind-boggling.

If Lord is not in Voss' favorites and becomes one of these players who can never get a game we can start talking about changing the coach. He is a player we need to be going to lengths to make sure he is in the side.
Hence the need to delist J. Carroll to make room for him.

????

He played key forward and got double teamed by Wilkie and friends. One of the best one on one defenders in the league. Can't wait till we have smalls who demand being defended so the blatant disrespectful double and triple teaming can stop.

Owies rarely even had a man on him, opposition defense's just doubled the threat. Cost them (opposition's) 30 goals over the season but probably saved way more being kicked by the good forwards....

Basically. Kemp didn't do nothing. He attracted 2-3 players every contest. Someone else has to stand up when that happens.
I said it about 50 pages back….i can see Kemp as our Pearce to Sticks and Duke….watch out

Both Kemp and Carroll have shown tantalising glimpses of their talent, yet so many are quick to right them off.
Can we just give them a decent go ffs.
They’re not perennially injured like Cunners and Marchy were.
Let them flourish!

Been played out of position in roles that don't suite him. Cripps would be doing the same if played at full back or full forward.

He's an attacking weapon. Not a lockdown player. When we give him some freedom to hunt the footy we will see it all unfold. I think he is suited to half back flank, third tall forward, probably wing and maybe on the ball.

What you are seeing is a player being out bodied playing on bigger opposition. Up forward he will get space to work in and third tall defenders to deal with. Not playing on CHF or big forward pockets.

He isn't an attacking weapon. You are just hoping that he might be.(as we all are). Doubt that he ever has the tank to play wing or anything more than on ball cameos.

3rd tall forward is his for the taking. Let's hope that he's up to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure why some can’t see his attacking qualities. A benefit of playing Kemp in defence is he developed tackling and pressure skills which would also be handy on the forward line.

I reckon at 192cm and his attributes he’d make a pretty good 3rd forward for us.

He isn't an attacking weapon. You are just hoping that he might be.(as we all are). Doubt that he ever has the tank to play wing or anything more than on ball cameos.

good tank, has a few 15km games under his belt

He is a actually a really good runner. Issue is he isn't a KPD. Playing him on a player like Hogan is only going to dent his confidence.
He needs to be used as an attacking weapon. Charlie, Harry and Kemp can cover the ground really well. Can't hurt trying him on the wing or half forward. Especially with Kennedy and Martin gone.

Just by his 2 games this year, it’s very easy to see a permanent place in our best 22 for Lord. I have him penciled in to start on ball in 2025.

We have been crying out for a bit more speed and playing on more. Lord always looks to move the ball forward and it makes the defence have to work overtime rather than knowing where the ball is about to go with us bombing it forward.

I think we will see a different midfield set up from day 1 and it’s why I think the draftee we must take is Jagga Smith. Imo he is the most professional and non bust type going into this draft. Definitely has Nick Daicos traits and you would think Jagga would play from day 1.

Cripps Lord Walsh Smith Hewett Cerra Docherty is as dangerous a midfield group you will see imo

Our issue is too many small forwards with no overhead game. Next year McKay, Curnow, Moir and Kemp all have strong overhead games. 4 is better than 2.
This was definitely something we all would have noticed with Brisbanes final series.

Medium forwards with aerial skills and X Factor.

We have enough players who bomb it into F50 without looking, and he's a poor kick as it is.
Funny how people see highlights videos differently - I think I've seen FOS hit a target once in 3 videos, whereas I see Draper and Smith both hitting passes at will whilst either running full-tilt or under heavy pressure, and rarely missing.
Maybe I've missed something but the FOS "highlights" videos I've seen are not "highlights" at all. I just don't see it. 🤷

I have had the same thoughts. I think only ok. Silvagni is a better user of his body and possible a better leap.

McKay was outstanding in the ruck this season, actually turned momentum at times for us. This has to stay.

Having a real third tall in Kemp and a forward pocket who is good overhead like Moir means when McKay goes on the ball we are ok.

Plus TDK can rest at full forward more. IMO McKay should ruck more and DeKoning should go to full forward more.
Interesting take.
I wonder if this enables us to play our A game more?

We have enough players who bomb it into F50 without looking, and he's a poor kick as it is.
Funny how people see highlights videos differently - I think I've seen FOS hit a target once in 3 videos, whereas I see Draper and Smith both hitting passes at will whilst either running full-tilt or under heavy pressure, and rarely missing.
Maybe I've missed something but the FOS "highlights" videos I've seen are not "highlights" at all. I just don't see it. 🤷
If you think Draper has better disposal than FOS then you’re beyond help.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back