Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

If Kemp can work on his tank without losing that burst speed he could have a pathway as Blacres successor on the wing - more likely however that he'll be off the list this time next year tbh
He's already able to run 15km games so there isn't a huge need to work on his tank.

If Kemp can work on his tank without losing that burst speed he could have a pathway as Blacres successor on the wing - more likely however that he'll be off the list this time next year tbh
They’d be a handy combo switching off HFF as difficult matchups and can be a hit up plus scoring options.
Blacres also has a nice mark on him and gets to good spots in the forward-line.

Kemp has midfield qualities. Particularly for a wing position.

1. Speed.
2. Endurance
3. Reads the play well.
4. Good overhead and at ground level.
5. Would be ideally suited to that defensive wing role where he drops back into the hole inside D50.
6. Kemp's best footy is any game where he has had the freedom to be able to play a little loser and play off his man. Particularly where he has played off half back and been able to push up into the midfield.

Personally I think he is going to excel as a third tall forward. The modern third tall forward is not a ruckman sized player like we used to see 10 or 15 years ago. It's not DeKoning. It's more your Jack Gunston type/size player. It has to be someone with good pace and a ground level game so they can impact on the ground and in the air but also have the running capacity to apply pressure, close in quick on a lose ball and chase the half backs when they go.

Kemp has already shown that he can mark the ball as a forward, kick straight but also chase down and tackle opposition and win the ground ball. He is exactly what we need up forward. The biggest issue of our forward line being the lack of strong overhead players. Kemp and Moir coming in will really improve our forward efficiency and ball movement.

I think Kemp could be a really good winger for us but I think he will be very valuable to us as a forward.
I’m sold, but it’s not us u have to convince.
He goes forward & does well, his value is going to seriously increase. I really hope we start the season with a new look & give him a crack with some rotations.
SOS really threw a grenade over the wall, Kemp now knows there’s serious interest from other clubs, with him coming out of contract if we don’t at least explore his potential you can’t hold it against him if starts looking at options elsewhere.
It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

I’m sold, but it’s not us u have to convince.
He goes forward & does well, his value is going to seriously increase. I really hope we start the season with a new look & give him a crack with some rotations.
SOS really threw a grenade over the wall, Kemp now knows there’s serious interest from other clubs, with him coming out of contract if we don’t at least explore his potential you can’t hold it against him if starts looking at options elsewhere.
It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
Yep, players step up, they are going to demand more. I'm hoping we can offer him contract length and that keeps him like with all our top line players. Hoping he can be a bit of a Gunstan type.

We want other clubs to want our players.

I'm hoping Moir and kemp step up and we can have a clean out of C grade forwards and go hard at recruiting forwards at the end of next year.

I'm going to make the call. Cottrell, Fogarty, Fantasia are on their last contract with us and will be told to explore their options next season. Williams, Durdin and Motlop may also be in the same situation.

I think we go hard and will bring in a number of genuine forwards next season or late this one. Kemp and Moir will step up and we will be scrambling to get their contracts extended. Pick 3 will likely be able to play forward I feel as well.

I think a clean out of players is coming the next few seasons. Can see another mid who has been best 22 going as well.

So we will have space to move. It's just that we may struggle as some of these players are contracted so we may not be able to shift them.

I’m really not sure how to respond to that but I’ll give it a go.

IMO Kemp doesn’t have any AFL quality midfield qualities which isn’t really surprising given he hasn’t played or trained as a midfielder in the 5 years he has been on an AFL list. To say that Kemp does based on a rookie scouting report >6 years ago is generous.
Without even digging hard into my memory banks he's clean has lightning hands and a wicked spin out if trouble which he's deployed many times despite extremely limited chances to do so playing deep defense.

Yep, players step up, they are going to demand more. I'm hoping we can offer him contract length and that keeps him like with all our top line players. Hoping he can be a bit of a Gunstan type.

We want other clubs to want our players.

I'm hoping Moir and kemp step up and we can have a clean out of C grade forwards and go hard at recruiting forwards at the end of next year.

I'm going to make the call. Cottrell, Fogarty, Fantasia are on their last contract with us and will be told to explore their options next season. Williams, Durdin and Motlop may also be in the same situation.

I think we go hard and will bring in a number of genuine forwards next season or late this one. Kemp and Moir will step up and we will be scrambling to get their contracts extended. Pick 3 will likely be able to play forward I feel as well.

I think a clean out of players is coming the next few seasons. Can see another mid who has been best 22 going as well.

So we will have space to move. It's just that we may struggle as some of these players are contracted so we may not be able to shift them.
Cotters 2027
Fogarty 2026
Fanta 2025*
ZW 2026
C.Durdin 2026
Motlop 2025*

*only likely changes from those listed. Still years on the books in most cases.

I seem to recall Kemp was a midfielder as a junior. I saw him play on the wing in a VFL game once and he dominated. Basically, he can play anywhere.

He’s a bit too Leroy Jenkins in the backline though. Maybe we need that sometimes.

He has clean, fast hands, he has burst from congestion, agility, keeps the ball ticking over and pretty good vision for a long pass by foot.

You're just so used to watching him track in a defensive zone or forcing a pack up forward you've forgotten what he looks like when he gets to dictate his own movement, but you're doing so with an enormous amount of bias:

I dunno how you're not seeing it. Again, I ask you to name a specific thing you feel he can't do in a hypothetical midfield role that he's not already been doing in a variety of defensive roles.

It all comes down to his ability to apply tactics and read the tap to help his team get an effective clearance, something we haven't really done outside of dominant taps/unblocked runs or TDK breaking open the play, so it's not like the bar can be any lower.

For what it’s worth Jimmae SkyhorseTamer I hope you are both right. I just can’t see him being a midfielder unless it’s as a wingman. IMO his best (and probably last) chance of making it is as a third forward.

It's why he is better suited as a forward, if he is going to make it
I can understand why you'd have that view, but I think improvement in those areas would help him no matter what position he is asked to play.

I think he needs to make a commitment to make it in one role and I think the best one for him is as a third tall defender with license to go for marks/provide attacking run. Similar to what we saw from him in the Gold Coast game in 2023. The problem is that the MC are committed to playing McGov in that role. I would move Mitch forward and put Brodie down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Kemp to midfield discussion is like the Walker to midfield discussion. Will happen every year he's still on the list. Although in Walkers case he had actually shown he could play midfield in patches.

I personally think the Kemp conundrum is pretty simple.

His best position is as a 3rd tall defender. It's the role he's shown the most in at VFL level, at AFL level and the role he spent a lot of his junior career playing. Another club recently targeted him to specifically fill that role. Even his manager said that Kemp sees that as his best position. That doesn't mean he couldn't play another position but all evidence points to 3rd tall
defence being the role he's most suited to.

The issue is we currently have Gov in that role so he's being forced to be the 2nd KPD, which he is less suited too. Some weeks he can get away with it more then others depending on the opponent. To stay in the 22 he either needs to adapt to that role, find a new role or replace Gov. Will be interesting which avenue the club takes.

I do think he could be a 3rd tall forward. My only concern is that structurally the trend more often is not to have a genuine marking 3rd tall but a couple of medium forwards who can mark and crumb. Moir/Jack Martin type rather then the Gunston type.

He has clean, fast hands, he has burst from congestion, agility, keeps the ball ticking over and pretty good vision for a long pass by foot.

You're just so used to watching him track in a defensive zone or forcing a pack up forward you've forgotten what he looks like when he gets to dictate his own movement, but you're doing so with an enormous amount of bias:

I dunno how you're not seeing it. Again, I ask you to name a specific thing you feel he can't do in a hypothetical midfield role that he's not already been doing in a variety of defensive roles.

It all comes down to his ability to apply tactics and read the tap to help his team get an effective clearance, something we haven't really done outside of dominant taps/unblocked runs or TDK breaking open the play, so it's not like the bar can be any lower.
Yep, maybe he doesnt get a go there, but has the traits. Is accountable defence wise, quick, seems like he has good hands(?).

Not saying he will get a go, just that would like to see it. See ball get ball is easier than HB. Dont think his decision making os there yet.

Love him up forward too. Only 23, glad we didnt trade after he has had so much worthwhile investment.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I am quite positive that Nick Austin didn’t trade up for Pick 3, only to trade down for something like 6 and 18 (I have seen that suggested on here)…which will give Nick Austin a worse draft pick than when he had both Pick 12 and 14. It would be crazy if Nick did trade 3.
For that package yes. But if say Jagga was there at our pick (RIC trade up and go Lalor and FOSas suggested) I could see MEL and STK calling. It would cost them 5/9 or 7/8 if they want him that bad. That’s 2 trades you’d have to consider - though highly unlikely IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back