Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

In a year where Richmond finished dead last and regularly had 15+ players on their injury list, Cumberland managed just 7 matches. Played 10 games in the VFL. Averages about 7 disposals a match. In his 7 AFL matches kicked 6 goals. No better in the VFL - 8 goals in 10 matches.

Had one half-decent year 2 years ago, has been terrible since. Would rather play Fanta.
How many of our good forwards looked like superstars when we were getting smashed in the middle and losing by 10 goals each week?

I'm not advocating for picking him up - I don't know enough about him...but judging him off this year when he played better when Richmond were better might be a flawed perspective

And yet was dropped 2 games later. He did kick 3 goals in that crows game but only had 5 touches.

All but cost the Tigers a game this year when he stupidly got an easy shot on goal for his team reversed by dumping a player that was just plain dumb.

His brain doesn't work as quickly as his body.

And their lies the problem Always getting dropped after a bad performance, I could name names who had been just as bad but held their position

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve always got a lot of time for posts by Gethelred, and the poster makes some excellent reasons as to why Cumberland may not have worked out at Richmond.

Soapy V says we have talked to everyone. And Cumberland may just be another name on that list. But if the club is settling on him as the way to go for another DFA, then I’m happy to support their insight.

I just don't see us signing Cumberland as a DFA.

After all the effort we have gone to to clear list spots, essentially pushing out Kennedy and Owies, to then sign him wouldn't add up.

He doesn't fill a position of need (we have lots of average small forwards) and has just been delisted from the worst team in the comp.

Happy for him to train with us over summer.

I just don't see us signing Cumberland as a DFA.

After all the effort we have gone to to clear list spots, essentially pushing out Kennedy and Owies, to then sign him wouldn't add up.

He doesn't fill a position of need (we have lots of average small forwards) and has just been delisted from the worst team in the comp.

Happy for him to train with us over summer.
He seems to play more as a medium forward though (he’s taller than both Durdin and Motlop). And if you compare him with Elijah and Moir as our medium forwards, he seems to be a lot quicker, and his kicking seems at the quality of the other two.

Once again, I’m not advocating we take him. More that if the club decides to go that way, I can see why they think he might be different to what we’ve got. Maybe think of him more as a fit replacement for Martin and a quick replacement for Kennedy.

Cumberland is the definition of a cream on top player and our team is the definition of a good cake with no cream.

The production/performances of players like him were always going to drop at the same rate as the quality of the team around him. It happens to every decent team that falls into a rebuild. As for him being dropped multiple times, when you're in the trenches of a rebuild, you simply can't carry players like him while preaching to everyone else that they have to do the team things. It makes perfect sense to me that he was pushed out of Richmond under those circumstances and I don't see it as a red flag.

I think a player with his athletic profile and goal sense is exactly what our forward line has been crying out for.

One thing I'll say for Cumbo just based on highlights is he's a beautiful left foot
Daniel Day Lewis likes this.

I'd rather a low risk known talent than a speculative option at this stage.
Eg What we have with Haynes
McMahon could be another via rookie draft
Another one or two of those so we're not running out of options if the injury gods don't start looking after us.

He's got the talent. Just needed a bit of an attitude adjustment from what I've read around the traps. Moneyball selection.

Bring me him and Ethan Phillips. Forget DGB.
Agree.

Interesting his draft profile strengths and combine results are consistent with his video highlights. No problem kicking from 50 out, loves to tackle. At 23 he might turn out to better than Durdin and Motlop, and definitely an excellent replacement for Fantasia.

STRENGTHS:
Agility
Speed
Footy smarts
Tackling/Aggression
Inside/outside mix

IMPROVEMENTS:
Accumulation
Kicking consistency

Cumberland’s National Draft Combine performance has propelled his value once again, finishing fifth in the 20m sprint (2.931 seconds) and eighth in the agility test (8.208 seconds). His speed shows on-field too as he breaks the lines on the outside and takes on his opponents at will. The agility aspect is more obvious in-close as Cumberland combines his power with being fleet of foot to bustle through congestion. Together, these elements make up much of the Maroochydore junior’s aggressive style of play, which is evident both with and without the ball. His willingness to take the game on and use his penetrating kick going forward is one aspect, while his bullocking style around the stoppages going both ways is the other. Cumberland’s average of almost five tackles per national carnival game is right up there, as is his ability to score in almost every outing and it gives him that desirable mix of inside and outside play.

I'd like us to pick up Liam McMahon as cover for Hazza and Charles. I think he could ably fill in or be a key tall to allow Charlie to be third tall. Has been in our system and has developed a good relationship with Luke Power. With JSOS and Brodie on the list he probably won't get selected.

Cumberland looks to have it and a second chance and change of environment might bring out his best. Once again though we seem to have this spot covered with Elijah and Ashston.

Definitely need KPD cover so Ethan Phillips could be good.

In terms of pick three, I will be happy with any one of Draper, Lalor, O'Sullivan and Smith. Each have their pros and cons and are rated amongst the best midfield types. Strong chance that whoever we take will be able to play early on and ultimately be a solid to good player.

The fact that we don't know which way the club is leaning is a good thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXVII - A return to normalcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back