Bluemour 'Silly Season' Edition XXXIV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want any of our recently retired players as coaches at the club be that Simmo, Kreuze, Betts, or anyone else.
Don`t understand this, just because they were not part of a successful team doesn`t mean they won`t have the ability to coach, as it seems like it would come down to an individuals personality traits and a lot of other intangible things. I don`t think there is a perfect formula for who makes a good coach, and that`s why a lot of star players have not made it as a coach and some battlers have.....

Can someone explain to me why we’ve put setters on hold til after the trade period if we aren’t bringing in another player from another club?

Just taking a stab here but I wouldn't be surprised if we've decided we only want one of Dow and Setterfield so are going to see what we can attract for either.

Can someone explain to me why we’ve put setters on hold til after the trade period if we aren’t bringing in another player from another club?
If I'm not mistaken he was offered a 1 year deal but he wanted 2 years. His management are doing some low-key shopping around to see if they can get a better offer from another club.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Setters and Stocker at North/Essendon next year.

Owies,Newman, Cotters, LOB aren’t middle of the road. They are barely AFL level players. So many holes we could try and fill - Eg mid sized marking forward . Pies have a whole team of them, we have SOS. Game plan of just kicking it long to Harry and Charlie needs to evolve .
Again, you're wrong.

Middle of the pack is relative... to the other teams' bottom 3 or 6 (not to the average AFL player) .

Yes Owies, LOB/Cotters are likely bottom 3 ish.

They're no worse than the bottom 3 in any other team bar a few and each of them has considerable upside (both Cotters and LOB improved considerably this year).

Jack Martin is a mid sized marking forward if he can stay on the park (and Kennedy can roll through their very comfortably). That said would jump at a Breust (gone) or Gunston (still UFA).

I don't want any of our recently retired players as coaches at the club be that Simmo, Kreuze, Betts, or anyone else.

Don`t understand this, just because they were not part of a successful team doesn`t mean they won`t have the ability to coach, as it seems like it would come down to an individuals personality traits and a lot of other intangible things. I don`t think there is a perfect formula for who makes a good coach, and that`s why a lot of star players have not made it as a coach and some battlers have.....

Even if we'd won the last three flags, I'd be reluctant to appoint retiring Carlton players as coaches.

I think it's important for players (from any club) to experience footy from outside their main club; different cultures, strategies, approaches, gameday tactics, personalities etc.

Ideally players do a couple of tours of duty at other clubs before 'returning home'.

Future 3rd for Acres, what a steal!

Damn, well done Austin

It's in the article carlton_99 posted:-

Acres is expected to land at Ikon Park on a three-year deal courtesy of a trade that is expected to feature a future third-round pick, with the 26-year-old keen to continue his career at his third club after stints at St Kilda and Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In Selwood's interview after the game on Saturday, he was asked 'What were the biggest changes the club made to elevate themselves into winning a grand final?'

He replied, 'We had 7-8 guys who all improved at the same time'...

Blicavs
Stanley
Stengle
Atkins
Close
SDK
ZGuthrie
Holmes

Personally, I'm incredibly excited at the thought of watching guys like Boyd, Cottrell, Durdin, Young, Motlop, Marchbank, McGovern, and TDK go to another level without needing to give up draft capital and cash to bring in players from other clubs.

Acres + draft + maybe a DFA key swingman would be the perfect result.

Bowes is a bit more complicated than media reporting, think GCS want a future first back. Hunter no
Based on this from a credible poster such as 10c it seems like we may have at least asked the question. I’m extrapolating this response here though, but hope this appeases some who can’t understand why we wouldn’t at least look at Bowes.

Last edited:
In Selwood's interview after the game on Saturday, he was asked 'What were the biggest changes the club made to elevate themselves into winning a grand final?'

He replied, 'We had 7-8 guys who all improved at the same time'...

Blicavs
Stanley
Stengle
Atkins
Close
SDK
ZGuthrie
Holmes

Personally, I'm incredibly excited at the thought of watching guys like Boyd, Cottrell, Durdin, Young, Motlop, Marchbank, McGovern, and TDK go to another level without needing to give up draft capital and cash to bring in players from other clubs.

Acres + draft + maybe a DFA key swingman would be the perfect result.
Think you could throw Martin into that list too.... and Williams.

And even a fit Pitto!

Based on this from a credible poster such as 10c it seems like we may have at least asked the question. I’m extrapolating this response here though, but hope this appeases something who can’t understand why we wouldn’t at least look at Bowes.
the list team should be across every player's contract status and every potential trade, it's good practice, it's good business having well established benchmarks for trades, contracts and valuations

The other part with Bowes is it is quite a significant cap dump for a club to hit.

Bowes along with a top 10 pick means the salary you're taking is probably somewhere in the ream of $800-$900k. It's just not really worth the hit to your cap for it.

A salary dump is palateable if it's a few hundred k at most, but if you're talking $500k or higher it's starting to get list altering which isn't ideal.

The other part with Bowes is it is quite a significant cap dump for a club to hit.

Bowes along with a top 10 pick means the salary you're taking is probably somewhere in the ream of $800-$900k. It's just not really worth the hit to your cap for it.

A salary dump is palateable if it's a few hundred k at most, but if you're talking $500k or higher it's starting to get list altering which isn't ideal.
I read somewhere his 2 remaining years is probably worth $1mil, so your estimate is in the ballpark... It's a heavy price to pay given we're trying to re-sign players on more of a premium...

We might have to trade some of our own to upgrade, unfortunately...

I reckon taking a big cap hit IS worth it if your club is in that position. I'd say with the big guns we have on big money (or about to be), we're no longer in a position to take anyone's salary-dump. We now have our core, any additions we make have to be "value", either through the draft (therefore young, cheap) or getting guys for unders who want to join (being a "destination club") or just finding value (Lewis Young).

We know we have paid/are paying a lot of money to our proper top-end talent (Cripps, Curnow, Weiters, Walsh, soon Harry) and to attract guys (Martin, McGovern, Williams, Hewett, Cerra). We've shot our shot, and we all have our opinions who which guys have/are/will be worth it and which won't. That's not necessarily a problem if managed wisely, but cap-space is no longer an asset we have. We still have draft capital and tradeable players, and need to maximise the value of those assets over the coming years to drive up the ladder and towards contending.

All that is to say.... Bowes will be a great deal for some club, just not us. Good player whose current contract is over-priced. Someone who has the cap-space can acquire a proper talent player for way unders in draft capital, then in 2 years re-sign him for a sensible figure reflecting his output.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back