Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Plenty of people here saying they would give up Walsh for Petracca.

For me if we are interested in Walsh go, I’d much prefer we trade him to North for pick 2. North would jump at the chance to bring in a gun as no guns really want to get there.

Could be as simple as:
Out: Walsh & F3
In: pick 2

Go to the draft and nab
pick 2: Langford/O'Sullivan
Our 1st Trainor/Berry/Lindsay

I’d like Dan Houston

People have lost their minds over the last 6 weeks.
It’s undoubtedly been horrible, but still.
I’ve said for a long time we would run out of steam this season. We need to bring in some youth assp.

What we are currently seeing has been on the cards all year

I’ve said for a long time we would run out of steam this season. We need to bring in some youth assp.

What we are currently seeing has been on the cards all year
Yeah, let’s trade the standout from a super draft, best player in the competition in our club’s first finals series in a decade, for pick 2 in a draft with a low top end and chuck something else in too 🥴

Cmon everyone, if we’re prepared to trade a Harry or Walshy, you don’t do it for a 29yr old, coming off a serious injury, with no guarantee he ever gets back to his best, who may only have 3/4 seasons left at the elite level.
Now if it was to try and get a Harley Reid, then you’re talking some sense.

Cmon everyone, if we’re prepared to trade a Harry or Walshy, you don’t do it for a 29yr old, coming off a serious injury, with no guarantee he ever gets back to his best, who may only have 3/4 seasons left at the elite level.
Now if it was to try and get a Harley Reid, then you’re talking some sense.
That’s true but you’d prolly have to give up a lot more than Walsh to bring in Harley who is an absolute freak and as you say got his whole career ahead of him.

My concern is still the injury suffered earlier this year.

Get the all clear and this is a Greg Williams-level trade. It's a trade that helps take a good team that underperforms to the next level. You can get the cream players cheap who would premiership chase. Just like the so-called "recycled' 1995 premiership players were.

If it doesn't involve Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, De Koning then everything else should be on the table for discussion.

I'm in if he's going to be healthy.
I agree with all that but the reality is that Petracca is one of the elite performers in the league. Not just one of the best but one of the elite performers.
He fits a specific need for us but unfortunately Melbourne are in need of a key forward.
I'd love to have Petracca at Carlton but where do we get 50 goals from if Harry goes?
Who gets the mark around wing/chf if Harry goes? Which tall takes an opposition KPD if Harry goes?
The same argument could be flipped if Charlie goes.
We're talking about 100+ goals taken out of our system over the last 2 years.
We would have to put a lot of work into Lemmey over the summer and hope it pays off.
If the remaining KPF, ie whichever of Harry or Charlie, goes down with injury then we'd have to revert to a smaller, running forward line mid season. I don't see us as having the list types to do that atm.

As I say, I agree 100% with your post but I really can't see Melbourne giving away an elite forward/mid thats in a long term contract for Cerra and picks at a time when they are screaming out for a KPF.

So my opinion is get the deal done in any way possible but without trading either of Harry or Charlie.
Petracca is a pod player that could mean the difference from making the finals (big ****ing deal) to winning premierships.
You take that chance every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me if we are interested in Walsh go, I’d much prefer we trade him to North for pick 2. North would jump at the chance to bring in a gun as no guns really want to get there.

Could be as simple as:

Go to the draft and nab

Cmon man, this is trade Cripps from 2-3 years ago all over again.

You don’t trade your guns unless they want out, you build around your guns

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Could be as simple as:

Go to the draft and nab
Walsh is 24 years old man and is a genuine blue chip midfielder

He has had a 30 vote brownlow year, which is enough to win it on most years and he’s won a Gary Ayres trophy, the only player to do so without playing in the Grand Final

Walsh is worth Pick 2 alone, or even Pick 1 - still got 10 years of him

Cmon man, this is trade Cripps from 2-3 years ago all over again.

You don’t trade your guns unless they want out, you build around your guns

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
If Cripps has a down game who in our team…particularly in midfield steps up and makes a significant contribution?

If we had a Petracca type we’d have two match winning mids…where the game is typically won/lost. He would make a huge boost to the team.

Only concern with Petracar is his recent injury but he should be ok to continue his good form soon enough.

Walsh is 24 years old man and is a genuine blue chip midfielder

He has had a 30 vote brownlow year, which is enough to win it on most years and he’s won a Gary Ayres trophy, the only player to do so without playing in the Grand Final

Walsh is worth Pick 2 alone, or even Pick 1 - still got 10 years of him
Read your first 2 sentences. They do not match with your 3rd sentence.

At the start of the season many posters were saying Walsh is our number 1 mid
And in the top 5 of the comp. The talk about trading him at the moment is a little short-sighted. We also shouldn't be giving Cerra away, his best is fantastic, poor guy has had 5 hamstrings issues in 2 years, of course his output is lower atm.
I think Hewitt and Kennedy are our 2 thst we could potentially trade, but both would not be on big $s and probably wouldn't get a lot in a trade.
I hope we don't pursue Trac, the risk return for him doesn't add up to me, 29 now and he might fall away in 2-3 years like Dusty did, and if he got injured and missed a lot of next year, big risk for a couple of first round picks…

Could be as simple as:

Go to the draft and nab
not sure we'll trade walsh just to draft a poorer walsh

Could be as simple as:

Go to the draft and nab
Can we nix the Walsh trade talk ...please?

Russell has been there 6 years I can't remember one season we haven't been ravaged by injuries. I'm surprised it took this long to move him on tbh.
Because of past glories and reputation. Mick should never have been appointed else should've been moved on within the first year (lucky to have made finals... thanks *). Pagan similar, not because he was done as a coach as Mick was but there was only so much he could do and the well was dry. We're quick to pull the trigger on those with less experience or reputation.

With a lot of these older experienced types, they become quite institutionalised and comfortable in their methods and don't adapt and evolve with what resources they've got and the changes to the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back