Rumour Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No way I'd do it but Dees would probably be happy for a straight swap - Petracca for H.

They need a tall forward and H would be ideal for them.

But doing something like that would significantly weaken our team.

Mainly because I'm not too confident with Charlie ankle/knees and imo he lacks a bit of discipline compared to H.
Probably start a big argument but I would say Harry is more important to the team than Charlie. H might kick less goals but he does a lot more work around the ground and chases opponents unlike Charlie

Plenty of people here saying they would give up Walsh for Petracca.

For me if we are interested in Walsh go, I’d much prefer we trade him to North for pick 2. North would jump at the chance to bring in a gun as no guns really want to get there.

Could be as simple as:
Out: Walsh & F3
In: pick 2

Go to the draft and nab
pick 2: Langford/O'Sullivan
Our 1st Trainor/Berry/Lindsay
Walsh is worth more than a pick 2. He's a star FFS.

Then stop playing him as a centre square mid for starters. Not sure the current gameplan or HP team could possibly know that considering the way he's used, but maybe. doubting someone with the ethic of Walsh feels so wrong though
He was in fantastic form for his first 11 games of the year.

He’s clearly been carrying something the last 6 weeks or so. If it’s a back injury that is going to be career limiting, then not even our incompetent medical team would have had him playing.

He was in fantastic form for his first 11 games of the year.

He’s clearly been carrying something the last 6 weeks or so. If it’s a back injury that is going to be career limiting, then not even our incompetent medical team would have had him playing.
Could be as simple as the change of rule which has him out of sorts

Could be as simple as the change of rule which has him out of sorts
While it hasn’t been kind to him (and I think Walsh has been particularly harshly adjudged by the umps), I seriously doubt that’s the reason.

In the 4 games since the change in interpretation, Walsh got the following coaches’ votes 9 (BOG), - , 7, 8.

Had a shocker against the Giants, and has been well down since then (with decent games against North and the Filth). He hasn’t been himself, and the team has been playing like crap as well, which doesn’t help his decision making.

Sorry but Judd was worth 2 early firsts and a player at his absolute peak when he was barely 24 years old.

Petracca is 29 next year, people saying he'd cost multiple firsts and a player are a way off. Nobody in their late 20s is worth multiple firsts and a player, absolutely nobody. Certainly no team would be stupid enough to do a deal for that price at the very least.

We got 2 first round picks for a late 20's Bryce Gibbs...

Petracca is a better footballer than him...

While it hasn’t been kind to him (and I think Walsh has been particularly harshly adjudged by the umps), I seriously doubt that’s the reason.

In the 4 games since the change in interpretation, Walsh got the following coaches’ votes 9 (BOG), - , 7, 8.

Had a shocker against the Giants, and has been well down since then (with decent games against North and the Filth). He hasn’t been himself, and the team has been playing like crap as well, which doesn’t help his decision making.
Yeah he doesn't look comfortable, look at his kicking - he is really stabbing at it with a lot of force and not following through

Compare that to his beautiful kicking in last years finals series

I think his back is compromised but it's not the degenerative disc thing, he had a discectomy to rectify that.. I reckon he hasn't had enough load during the pre-season through his hammies and it's finally caught up to him. I don't expect him to perform well these last two weeks.

Walsh is worth more than a pick 2. He's a star FFS.
I know he is a very valued member of our team and I accept that but I'm struggling with the "star" attributes....

For example:
  • He can run all day
  • Very professional - Trains/prepares well
  • Very competitive
What I see lacking though are:
  • Lacks power/burst
  • Gets tackled way too easily - countless holding the ball
  • Kicking is not good
  • Decision making questionable
  • Defensively ??
  • Goals scoring?
  • Real impact on games ?
Can you help me see where/how he is a star?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know he is a very valued member of our team and I accept that but I'm struggling with the "star" attributes....

For example:
  • He can run all day
  • Very competitive
  • Lacks power/burst
  • Kicking is not good
  • Defensively ??
  • Goals scoring?
  • Real impact on games ?
Gary Ayres medal? He comfortably did all of that. With a burst.

For example:
  • He can run all day
  • Very competitive
  • Lacks power/burst
  • Kicking is not good
  • Defensively ??
  • Goals scoring?
  • Real impact on games ?
Your assessment of him as a player is only the last 6 weeks, and not what he has shown throughout his career?

For example:
  • He can run all day
  • Very competitive
  • Lacks power/burst
  • Kicking is not good
  • Defensively ??
  • Goals scoring?
  • Real impact on games ?
He 100% showed the opposite of the bolded in last year's finals. How quickly we forget how good he is when not carrying something.

For example:
  • He can run all day
  • Very competitive
  • Lacks power/burst
  • Kicking is not good
  • Defensively ??
  • Goals scoring?
  • Real impact on games ?
Walsh is a star. Yes he is out of form, but looking back further than a few months will show that he's a top 20 player in the comp.

If he was to be traded today, it'd be 2 top 10 picks minimum.

For example:
  • He can run all day
  • Very competitive
  • Lacks power/burst
  • Kicking is not good
  • Defensively ??
  • Goals scoring?
  • Real impact on games ?
You could have done a similar analysis of Cripps when he was struggling with injury a couple of years back - he's now inline for another AA and top 3 in the Brownlow. Walsh fit and in form is well and truly a game changing star and at 24 hopefully has many more years ahead...

Yeah I've been as harsh on Walsh as anyone this year, I've called him a liability on multiple occasions.

But, at his best he is an absolute star. A genuine top 10-15 player in the comp.

His kicking hasn't always been his strength but it wasn't bad by any stretch, just lacked penetration. He was developing burst speed until he started getting niggles, even as a skinny 18yo he had a freakish ability to get his hands free, runs all day, snuck fwd for goals, showed leadership, competitive as anyone and loves the big stage.

This year though, sheesh. I know he had a good return from injury but his kicking was well down since the start, has gone to another level of poor the past 6 weeks. He's got to be close to leading the league in getting pinged HTB, he's looking slow & playing selfishly. I have no doubt his back injury has probably caused at least 90% of this so we can forgive him.

What's frustrating for me is that all through his juniors & draft year he was lauded for his durability - which was on display in his 1st few years with us; he'd front up, get 30+ and a goal, look just as fresh the next week. Now he's battling serious stress fractures. If our s&c program has ruined him, then that's an absolute disaster.

Sorry but Judd was worth 2 early firsts and a player at his absolute peak when he was barely 24 years old.

Petracca is 29 next year, people saying he'd cost multiple firsts and a player are a way off. Nobody in their late 20s is worth multiple firsts and a player, absolutely nobody. Certainly no team would be stupid enough to do a deal for that price at the very least.

the ability to trade future picks has 'inflated' good player values from ye olde days of judd. teams can ask for more because teams have more picks at their disposal. flooding the market with picks means the ask or offer of extra is automatic. much like the home buyers grant. i doubt it's really aided player movement though. anyway, tangent.

as for the trade itself, not %100 keen. nothing against petracca of course. injury cloud, not sure we'd have players that would satisfy both sides' list change. but definitely worth due diligence etc

My concern is still the injury suffered earlier this year.

Get the all clear and this is a Greg Williams-level trade. It's a trade that helps take a good team that underperforms to the next level. You can get the cream players cheap who would premiership chase. Just like the so-called "recycled' 1995 premiership players were.

If it doesn't involve Cripps, Walsh, Weitering, Curnow, McKay, De Koning then everything else should be on the table for discussion.

I'm in if he's going to be healthy.

The problem is the Dees will almost certainly want one of those guys as they need a Gawn successor, a Trac replacement and a key Forward. It would be the Judd deal on steroids for a bloke with a busted spleen.

They might be interested in Cerra but he would be steak knives attached to 2 x top 10 round draft picks in a deal with Petracca.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back