Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Cerra and our first rounder this year and a first or a good second next year (i.e if we get a second rounder from WCE or something)

Ahh, wot?

Cerra - an okay midfielder with 5x hamstring injuries in 12 months + 2x (likely) late 1sts?

Petracca is a multiple AA, Brownlow medalist and a genuine bona-fide star of the comp.. with 5 years on his contract.

If they're losing him they'd be seeking to replace him with an immediate need, like a key forward. They can pick up a Cerra-type from anywhere.

They'd ask for McKay + a 1st, and rightly so.

I’ve said for a long time we would run out of steam this season. We need to bring in some youth assp.

What we are currently seeing has been on the cards all year
Agree, there’s work to be done, Curely’s boy needs to freshen our playing list.
Hopefully he’s up to the task, at least 6 or 7 need to be shown the door, we’ve procrastinate long enough and a few astute trades.

Ahh, wot?

Cerra - an okay midfielder with 5x hamstring injuries in 12 months + 2x (likely) late 1sts?

Petracca is a multiple AA, Brownlow medalist and a genuine bona-fide star of the comp.. with 5 years on his contract.

If they're losing him they'd be seeking to replace him with an immediate need, like a key forward. They can pick up a Cerra-type from anywhere.

They'd ask for McKay + a 1st, and rightly so.

No Brownlow - maybe one day ??

We'd be the laughing stock of the comp to give up McKay and our 1st so won't happen.

No way I'd do it but Dees would probably be happy for a straight swap - Petracca for H.

They need a tall forward and H would be ideal for them.

But doing something like that would significantly weaken our team.

Mainly because I'm not too confident with Charlie ankle/knees and imo he lacks a bit of discipline compared to H.

No Brownlow - maybe one day ??

We'd be the laughing stock of the comp to give up McKay and our 1st so won't happen.

Could've sworn he won a couple of years ago, my bad.

It's definitely overpaying but if it netted us a flag it would be worth it.

We've backed this group in for a long time now, with minimal results. Not saying the axe should be swung and we should start turfing players, but I wouldn't mind us taking a risk somewhere with our list this off-season.

Would I be ok with trading one of our stars? If it gets someone like Petracca then.. maybe.

We've backed this group in for a long time now, with minimal results. Not saying the axe should be swung and we should start turfing players, but I wouldn't mind us taking a risk somewhere with our list this off-season.

Would I be ok with trading one of our stars? If it gets someone like Petracca then.. maybe.
Won a norm smith

I supposed you used McKay as an example to trade.

If were to put McKay on the market would (or should) be asking for two 1st rounders minimum

I love Petracca but at 29 years old I can't justify selling the house.

Cmon everyone, if we’re prepared to trade a Harry or Walshy, you don’t do it for a 29yr old, coming off a serious injury, with no guarantee he ever gets back to his best, who may only have 3/4 seasons left at the elite level.
Now if it was to try and get a Harley Reid, then you’re talking some sense.

This 100%

IMO our need for pace is so much the key, that we need, not 1-2, but actually 3-4 quick players, which if added around the flanks and midfield, would dramatically alter our game style and results.

Every time I watch McCreery and his mates burning us on the spread I think exactly this, and also I think the Hawks burnt us like this too, ditto giants.

So 3-4: aggressive List Mgt action for a good draft haul from say 2 early picks who are quick & good users, and a couple of trades for 2 x ‘value’ fast players - and we’re right in it next year. *2nd KPD to help Weiters notwithstanding, needs to be dealt with aswell, but a Haynes may get us a fair way here, if we’re winning upfield due to the above …

So, IMO no 1 player can solve the above problem, not even 2, and as good as Petracca is, and he is elite, no 29yo, injured or not, is worth missing the above opportunity to grab 3-4 to fill out our team structure and game style around our gun core (spine and Cripps/walsh)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKay clearly worth more than Petracca.

Especially because he doesn't want to leave.

Petracca: 3x AA, 1x Norm Smith, 2x BnF. Has ripped games apart and won games off his own boot multiple times - genuinely powerful mid who can do it in the middle or down fwd. 29yo with a huge contract is also iffy, weirdly increases his trade value due to the power Melbourne hold, but decreases it as a player because it's a gross contract & a high risk to the club taking it on.

McKay: 1x AA, 1x Coleman. KPF's are way harder to find so that boosts his value. 27yo, prime age for a KPF who should still have plenty of good years.

It's close when factoring in all of that.

Love Harry, but with Charlie down there, I've often thought we could get by with a workhorse CHF who can simply take a defender and get out of Charlie's way, feel Harry's potential superstardom is wasted a bit. His kicking, whilst improved is still iffy & I don't think I could ever trust him to nail them in big finals.

If Harry was open to it, I'd look at it.

Petracca: 3x AA, 1x Norm Smith, 2x BnF. Has ripped games apart and won games off his own boot multiple times - genuinely powerful mid who can do it in the middle or down fwd. 29yo with a huge contract is also iffy, weirdly increases his trade value due to the power Melbourne hold, but decreases it as a player because it's a gross contract & a high risk to the club taking it on.

McKay: 1x AA, 1x Coleman. KPF's are way harder to find so that boosts his value. 27yo, prime age for a KPF who should still have plenty of good years.

Love Harry, but with Charlie down there, I've often thought we could get by with a workhorse CHF who can simply take a defender and get out of Charlie's way, feel Harry's potential superstardom is wasted a bit. His kicking, whilst improved is still iffy & I don't think I could ever trust him to nail them in big finals.

TDK 2nd tall/ruck relief
Silvagni 3rd
Moir potential 2nd/3rd
Kemp potential 2nd/3rd
Pitto main ruck
O'Keefe project player
Lemmey project player

Sorry but Judd was worth 2 early firsts and a player at his absolute peak when he was barely 24 years old.

Petracca is 29 next year, people saying he'd cost multiple firsts and a player are a way off. Nobody in their late 20s is worth multiple firsts and a player, absolutely nobody. Certainly no team would be stupid enough to do a deal for that price at the very least.

I know alot of people on here don’t like the idea, but for age sake I’d go for Bailey smith

Sorry but Judd was worth 2 early firsts and a player at his absolute peak when he was barely 24 years old.

Petracca is 29 next year, people saying he'd cost multiple firsts and a player are a way off. Nobody in their late 20s is worth multiple firsts and a player, absolutely nobody. Certainly no team would be stupid enough to do a deal for that price at the very least.
I think trade value inflation has gone up since then, particularly with future draft picks an option now.

2 firsts, in the top 5, back then was an insanely high price.

2 firsts, likely between 10 and 18, one this yr and 1 next, isn't close to equal value.

Judd was out of contract & held all the cards. Also different era of trading back then.

What would we want for Cripps if god forbid he wanted out? He's 30 next year.

Judd was out of contract & held all the cards. Also different era of trading back then.

What would we want for Cripps if god forbid he wanted out? He's 30 next year.
Cripps would be worth 1 good first round pick. The difference is the value he brings to our team is far greater than any compensation a team would pay for a 30 year old. Thus we'd never trade him.

Interestingly North are targeting Viney. Could be a mass exodus at seasons end.

Possibly, but given the shitshow that occurred earlier this year with his injury and all the rumours re drug use at the Dees it may be one of those 'out of our control' type trades where a player basically demands their traded or sits out.

They also did kinda almost kill him by sending him out there with that injury.

I reckon Oliver & Viney will go and they'll retain Petracca - gut feel says the players are over Oliver and the fact the club has bent over backwards to protect him.

They also did kinda almost kill him by sending him out there with that injury.

I reckon Oliver & Viney will go and they'll retain Petracca - gut feel says the players are over Oliver and the fact the club has bent over backwards to protect him.
Entirely likely. Personally, even going through a hypothetical trade just with the cap space we'd need to clear alone I wouldn't go after him. Yes our 22 might be better than previously but any semblance of depth will be gutted and we'll have bugger all to hit the draft with to replenish the list.

If Austin managed to get him over and find some quality depth/youngsters as options too then build him a shrine for all I care... just don't see how its possible though

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluemour Discussion XXXV - 'Loopy' Season has begun

Remove this Banner Ad

Back