Autopsy Blues loss to Suns discussion/rant etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

First things first, i am totally happy we have Bolts, but i want to throw it out there, my first choice was Dew, at the time i thought he was the best candidate, of course my opinion at the time, but geez he has those boys playing a very very attractive brand of footy atm
Didn't Dew pull out of the race for coaching us

First things first, i am totally happy we have Bolts, but i want to throw it out there, my first choice was Dew, at the time i thought he was the best candidate, of course my opinion at the time, but geez he has those boys playing a very very attractive brand of footy atm
Gold Coast have a good spine so tweaking their game plan along with getting their players back from injury makes a huge difference.

Really disappointed with this performance today. I don’t post on here much, and I don’t get a chance to watch many games, though I read this forum daily. Normally get really annoyed with all the chicken littles, and Carlton-bashers, that pop up after a loss, but I feel like venting a bit today. I honestly expected better.

It seemed like Carlton were actually going to start turning things around this year - a couple of years into our younger players, a more offensive gameplan, players who had bought into the coach. JLT2 looked good, the game against Richmond was promising, memberships looking to be on the up...then this. I’ve seen plenty of false dawns with Carlton for the last 18 years, and while I tried to temper my expectations for this year, I could finally see some good direction and a reason to be hopeful for the future. It seemed we were finally coming into the 21st century - a good coach, good administration around him, a savvy list manager, and a skill focused team which was actually BUILT around a gameplan and team approach - not just a team built around one or two players..

We came into it with all the right reasons to win, and GC came off a pretty hard slog last week - and then this was dished up. I don’t subscribe to the ‘GC are a crap team’ theory - they’ve had a pretty horrible coach for the last few years, and have a pretty good list on paper, it’s just taken a coach like Dew to get them to play as a team (not to mention Ablett going home is probably the best thing that could have happened to them).

I’m not giving up all hope yet, and still think that Bolton is the one to take us forward, but something has to give sooner or later. Year 3 of the rebuild, and this team is his own - I don’t expect us to win any more than 10 games, but there needs to be a system, and there needs to be an improvement in skills and effort, which just wasn’t there today.

In terms of Carlton - what the hell happened? So many fumbles, no real gameplan going forward, and our midfield just got shown up again. It wouldn’t matter if we had Lynch, Franklin or both of them up forward - our delivery going in is horrible. How a forward is meant to get close to kicking a score with wonky kicks, half volleys, overshot kicks, or just non-existent entry has me stuffed. The majority of the time, unless there is a momentary flash of brilliance by a player, there just doesn’t seem to be any system going forward. Bringing McKay in won’t help because the problem isn’t up forward - it’s downfield.

Sure - we’re missing Kruezer, Doch, Kennedy, Pickett, and Williamson out of our best 22 - query on whether Lang is in there or not (I’d say yes), and there is certainly concerns when players like O’Shea and Mullett comes in, but there’s no excuse. No excuse for all the fumbles, the scrubbed kicks, the missed handballs - essentially, a complete lack of skill.

I think the only players who can hold their heads high are Fish, SPS, Cripps, and C.Curnow - E.Curnow too.

The backline - Under pressure from the start.

Jones got smashed by Lynch, giving him a new career best in goals, and was just TOO offensive - always left his man to enter a contest when it wasn’t required. Probably a footy IQ thing, but he really needed to play tighter, and not be so attacking, because it just takes him out of the contest. Going into the ruck was what he needed to get into the game, because he just wasn't playing well down back.

Marchbank played loose man most of the time, and didn’t really have a great game, but it certainly wasn’t a bad one. Quite a few one percenters, but a couple of turnovers, but wasn’t really the ‘general’ we needed down there. We miss Doch in this role.

Simpson had a bit of a shocker (compared to his normal high standards), with that play at the end of the second (I think) where he went backwards exemplifying the teams game. It just didn’t come off, and it probably undone a lot of the good work he put in earlier.

Bryne was just ineffective for most of the day - didn’t deliver the ball well, didn’t defend that well, and just hasn’t come on like it looked like he was going to. Hopefully it’s just taking him a while to pick up the tempo after doing his ACL, but not looking great at this stage. Injured in the last quarter too, from what I heard?

O’Shea was horrible. Loved him at the NB’s, I think he was a good reserves player, but I just don’t really know why he was bought in today. Disposal has always been his issue, and he’s too tall to fit in in our already tall backline (even with Weitering forward like he was at the start of play), and I would be happy if he went back to the seconds for the rest of the year. Much better at VFL level, and we do need a strong team there, so just keep him there.

Plowman got a few rough calls against him, but played a pretty good game - underrated as Plowman often is. Tough to play in the backline today too, but I would almost say he was the best DEFENDER we had all day.

Up forward, it was always going to be a tough game. Delivery going in was horrible, and I almost felt like I was watching Carlton of 2-4 years ago.

Curnow up forward was probably the only forward who looked dangerous. Worked up the ground a heap in the first half of the game, presented well, and kicked a couple of goals. Difficult to know whether you want him deep all game, or whether you want him roaming up the ground - would be great to have two of him.

Weitering looked out of his league for most of the game, and in the end was moved back to defense because things were clearly not working down there. Took a strong hit in the third and kicked the goal after that, but was pretty ineffectual for the majority of the game. No idea what’s wrong with him, and I don’t think dropping him is the answer, but he just seems in his head too much - almost wonder if he’s the type to read some of the stuff written about him online, because he cops it from all directions due to his initial high standards.

Lamb is a hard worker, and generally presents well, applies pressure, and does the team thing, but just isn’t a long-term player. Skills just aren’t up to scratch, and while he always puts the effort in, he just can’t pull it off most of the time. That missed goal in the third when we had all the momentum was a game-killer too. Should never have been on his shoulders though - we shouldn’t have been that far behind in the first place.

Wright had a quiet game, although he bobbed up with two goals late. Always good for a couple of goals a game, which is all you can ask of your small forwards, but you would have hoped that by next year there would be others who pushed him out of the side.

Fisher rotated between the forward half and the backline, and he was definitely one of my positives coming out of the game. Great disposal, doesn’t waste his kicks, and just has that ability to get the ball in congestion, and pull off the right kick. Also a good kick for goal, and would be happy with him kicking the ball into the forward 50. Also doesn’t need a lot of the ball to make an impact.

Garlett was named up forward, but seemed to play all around the ground. Has been out of AFL for 12 months, so I don’t mind if he takes a while to get back into AFL level tempo, and while he didn’t do much today, I think he’s worth persevering with, though he’ll go back to the seconds at some stage. Covers the ground well, but doesn’t impact a lot of contents, and didn’t get a lot of the ball, nor use it all that well. Still pretty fumbly, but he certainly wasn’t the only one, but that marking attempt in the second or third was magical.

Daisy rotated around a bit today, but was named in the forward line, but didn’t trouble the scorers. Again, always puts in an effort, but skills can let him down. I don’t remember seeing him much for the game to be honest, so can’t really make a solid judgement.

In the middle, we were just outplayed all game, both offensively and defensively. Missed tackles and poor running allowed the suns to play the game on their terms, and we just looked far too reactive all game.

Cripps played a good game, and was one of our shining lights (as usual) in the midfield. 20 CPs and a goal says he had a good game, but he’s often asked to do too much on his own. Having Kennedy out hurt his (and the teams) game.

Murph had a bit of a shocker. 30 disposals, but 9 turnovers! Flat footed most of the time, and pretty horrible delivery into the 50. I’m not a Murphy basher, and I think he’s captained the team to the best of his ability in pretty trying times - not to mention he’s often been asked to play inside a lot more than what he should have over the years, but today really was a poor game.

E.Curnow was everywhere today (as he normally is), and finished with 37, and actually had pretty good efficiency, but his delivery inside 50 left something to be desired, which has often been Ed’s issue. Skills are always his issue, but he’ll be in the team until he retires I would assume.

Casboult went in as the only named ruckman, and to be honest we didn’t have much choice. I think we may have actually missed him up forward, as he does provide a bit of structure, but around the game he didn’t really offer much at all. 7 disposals and 3 marks for the entire game isn’t great, and I don’t think it was a great game by Cas - his JLT2 and Richmond game were better.

SPS played a pretty good game, and I feel like he’s covering ground pretty well this season. His disposal is usually sublime, but even he had a few fumbles and stuff today. A good game overall though, and you certainly can’t expect too much of a 20 gamer.

Dow was quite today, and again, can’t expect too much in his second game, but can see some good signs going forward. Needs to be kept in the team until he tires, as he’s certainly the future.

Davey Cuningham played a pretty good game IMO, and ended up with 21 disposals - a few more than I expected, and I’d really like to see him keep his spot for the next 5 or so games so he can really cement himself in the team. One of the better players today,

Polson only played his second game, with his first being the horror PA game last season, and I’m of the opinion he should turn out ok. Bit fumbly at first, but tidied up by the second quarter, but only got 7 disposals. Mainly played between the arcs, but didn’t have much of an impact. Certainly can’t expect much of him, but I prefer him in the side to someone like O’Shea.

Mullett is another one I don’t want to see in the team too much. I understand why he’s in there - our injuries require it - but his skills just aren’t up to scratch, and it shows why he was dropped from North. He can get the ball, but just doesn’t seem to deliver it very well - which is odd, because it’s meant to be his strength.

TL;DR - Fumble fumble fumble...What happened today?

O'Shea and Mullet. Great ins there congrats selection committee and recruiters.

Was so disappointing to see. No forward structure because our Gorilla was in the ruck. McKay or TDK would have been the logical structural choice but oh no let's bring in a tiny Polson, no offence buddy, just wrong selection.

I like Cuningham, Fish is gonna be a star, even Daisy was decent.

Mullett doesn't look when he kicks.

Can I just ask how many tall backmen Bolts wants to play? Weiters, Jones, Mullet, O Shea, Marchbank, Mr Plow. We are too heavy down back apart from Simmo.

Now I'm questioning Bolts. Which sucks.
2018 is the season we need to show real signs of a team on the way up. Come round 23 if we have continued to perform inconsistently and we haven't responded appropriately (consistently) to opposition pressure, Bolts' position will be heavily scrutinised.

Plowman having a nice laugh after the game.

Shouldn't surprise though, we already know you guys don't GAF.

This irks me too. I'm not suggested he doesn't GAF, but I'm sitting on the couch after watching the game feeling absolutely gutted and can't understand why I feel so damn overwhelmingly sad and defeated. To look up and see Plowman with a big smile was difficult to stomach. If I had the jumper on, I'd be punching the ground and screaming. God I love this club and I'm hurting. I thought we were so much better than this.

This irks me too. I'm not suggested he doesn't GAF, but I'm sitting on the couch after watching the game feeling absolutely gutted and can't understand why I feel so damn overwhelmingly sad and defeated. To look up and see Plowman with a big smile was difficult to stomach. If I had the jumper on, I'd be punching the ground and screaming. God I love this club and I'm hurting. I thought we were so much better than this.

And he was terrible today.
Fumbled and turned it over all day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really disappointed with this performance today. I don’t post on here much, and I don’t get a chance to watch many games, though I read this forum daily. Normally get really annoyed with all the chicken littles, and Carlton-bashers, that pop up after a loss, but I feel like venting a bit today. I honestly expected better.

It seemed like Carlton were actually going to start turning things around this year - a couple of years into our younger players, a more offensive gameplan, players who had bought into the coach. JLT2 looked good, the game against Richmond was promising, memberships looking to be on the up...then this. I’ve seen plenty of false dawns with Carlton for the last 18 years, and while I tried to temper my expectations for this year, I could finally see some good direction and a reason to be hopeful for the future. It seemed we were finally coming into the 21st century - a good coach, good administration around him, a savvy list manager, and a skill focused team which was actually BUILT around a gameplan and team approach - not just a team built around one or two players..

We came into it with all the right reasons to win, and GC came off a pretty hard slog last week - and then this was dished up. I don’t subscribe to the ‘GC are a crap team’ theory - they’ve had a pretty horrible coach for the last few years, and have a pretty good list on paper, it’s just taken a coach like Dew to get them to play as a team (not to mention Ablett going home is probably the best thing that could have happened to them).

I’m not giving up all hope yet, and still think that Bolton is the one to take us forward, but something has to give sooner or later. Year 3 of the rebuild, and this team is his own - I don’t expect us to win any more than 10 games, but there needs to be a system, and there needs to be an improvement in skills and effort, which just wasn’t there today.

In terms of Carlton - what the hell happened? So many fumbles, no real gameplan going forward, and our midfield just got shown up again. It wouldn’t matter if we had Lynch, Franklin or both of them up forward - our delivery going in is horrible. How a forward is meant to get close to kicking a score with wonky kicks, half volleys, overshot kicks, or just non-existent entry has me stuffed. The majority of the time, unless there is a momentary flash of brilliance by a player, there just doesn’t seem to be any system going forward. Bringing McKay in won’t help because the problem isn’t up forward - it’s downfield.

Sure - we’re missing Kruezer, Doch, Kennedy, Pickett, and Williamson out of our best 22 - query on whether Lang is in there or not (I’d say yes), and there is certainly concerns when players like O’Shea and Mullett comes in, but there’s no excuse. No excuse for all the fumbles, the scrubbed kicks, the missed handballs - essentially, a complete lack of skill.

I think the only players who can hold their heads high are Fish, SPS, Cripps, and C.Curnow - E.Curnow too.

The backline - Under pressure from the start.

Jones got smashed by Lynch, giving him a new career best in goals, and was just TOO offensive - always left his man to enter a contest when it wasn’t required. Probably a footy IQ thing, but he really needed to play tighter, and not be so attacking, because it just takes him out of the contest. Going into the ruck was what he needed to get into the game, because he just wasn't playing well down back.

Marchbank played loose man most of the time, and didn’t really have a great game, but it certainly wasn’t a bad one. Quite a few one percenters, but a couple of turnovers, but wasn’t really the ‘general’ we needed down there. We miss Doch in this role.

Simpson had a bit of a shocker (compared to his normal high standards), with that play at the end of the second (I think) where he went backwards exemplifying the teams game. It just didn’t come off, and it probably undone a lot of the good work he put in earlier.

Bryne was just ineffective for most of the day - didn’t deliver the ball well, didn’t defend that well, and just hasn’t come on like it looked like he was going to. Hopefully it’s just taking him a while to pick up the tempo after doing his ACL, but not looking great at this stage. Injured in the last quarter too, from what I heard?

O’Shea was horrible. Loved him at the NB’s, I think he was a good reserves player, but I just don’t really know why he was bought in today. Disposal has always been his issue, and he’s too tall to fit in in our already tall backline (even with Weitering forward like he was at the start of play), and I would be happy if he went back to the seconds for the rest of the year. Much better at VFL level, and we do need a strong team there, so just keep him there.

Plowman got a few rough calls against him, but played a pretty good game - underrated as Plowman often is. Tough to play in the backline today too, but I would almost say he was the best DEFENDER we had all day.

Up forward, it was always going to be a tough game. Delivery going in was horrible, and I almost felt like I was watching Carlton of 2-4 years ago.

Curnow up forward was probably the only forward who looked dangerous. Worked up the ground a heap in the first half of the game, presented well, and kicked a couple of goals. Difficult to know whether you want him deep all game, or whether you want him roaming up the ground - would be great to have two of him.

Weitering looked out of his league for most of the game, and in the end was moved back to defense because things were clearly not working down there. Took a strong hit in the third and kicked the goal after that, but was pretty ineffectual for the majority of the game. No idea what’s wrong with him, and I don’t think dropping him is the answer, but he just seems in his head too much - almost wonder if he’s the type to read some of the stuff written about him online, because he cops it from all directions due to his initial high standards.

Lamb is a hard worker, and generally presents well, applies pressure, and does the team thing, but just isn’t a long-term player. Skills just aren’t up to scratch, and while he always puts the effort in, he just can’t pull it off most of the time. That missed goal in the third when we had all the momentum was a game-killer too. Should never have been on his shoulders though - we shouldn’t have been that far behind in the first place.

Wright had a quiet game, although he bobbed up with two goals late. Always good for a couple of goals a game, which is all you can ask of your small forwards, but you would have hoped that by next year there would be others who pushed him out of the side.

Fisher rotated between the forward half and the backline, and he was definitely one of my positives coming out of the game. Great disposal, doesn’t waste his kicks, and just has that ability to get the ball in congestion, and pull off the right kick. Also a good kick for goal, and would be happy with him kicking the ball into the forward 50. Also doesn’t need a lot of the ball to make an impact.

Garlett was named up forward, but seemed to play all around the ground. Has been out of AFL for 12 months, so I don’t mind if he takes a while to get back into AFL level tempo, and while he didn’t do much today, I think he’s worth persevering with, though he’ll go back to the seconds at some stage. Covers the ground well, but doesn’t impact a lot of contents, and didn’t get a lot of the ball, nor use it all that well. Still pretty fumbly, but he certainly wasn’t the only one, but that marking attempt in the second or third was magical.

Daisy rotated around a bit today, but was named in the forward line, but didn’t trouble the scorers. Again, always puts in an effort, but skills can let him down. I don’t remember seeing him much for the game to be honest, so can’t really make a solid judgement.

In the middle, we were just outplayed all game, both offensively and defensively. Missed tackles and poor running allowed the suns to play the game on their terms, and we just looked far too reactive all game.

Cripps played a good game, and was one of our shining lights (as usual) in the midfield. 20 CPs and a goal says he had a good game, but he’s often asked to do too much on his own. Having Kennedy out hurt his (and the teams) game.

Murph had a bit of a shocker. 30 disposals, but 9 turnovers! Flat footed most of the time, and pretty horrible delivery into the 50. I’m not a Murphy basher, and I think he’s captained the team to the best of his ability in pretty trying times - not to mention he’s often been asked to play inside a lot more than what he should have over the years, but today really was a poor game.

E.Curnow was everywhere today (as he normally is), and finished with 37, and actually had pretty good efficiency, but his delivery inside 50 left something to be desired, which has often been Ed’s issue. Skills are always his issue, but he’ll be in the team until he retires I would assume.

Casboult went in as the only named ruckman, and to be honest we didn’t have much choice. I think we may have actually missed him up forward, as he does provide a bit of structure, but around the game he didn’t really offer much at all. 7 disposals and 3 marks for the entire game isn’t great, and I don’t think it was a great game by Cas - his JLT2 and Richmond game were better.

SPS played a pretty good game, and I feel like he’s covering ground pretty well this season. His disposal is usually sublime, but even he had a few fumbles and stuff today. A good game overall though, and you certainly can’t expect too much of a 20 gamer.

Dow was quite today, and again, can’t expect too much in his second game, but can see some good signs going forward. Needs to be kept in the team until he tires, as he’s certainly the future.

Davey Cuningham played a pretty good game IMO, and ended up with 21 disposals - a few more than I expected, and I’d really like to see him keep his spot for the next 5 or so games so he can really cement himself in the team. One of the better players today,

Polson only played his second game, with his first being the horror PA game last season, and I’m of the opinion he should turn out ok. Bit fumbly at first, but tidied up by the second quarter, but only got 7 disposals. Mainly played between the arcs, but didn’t have much of an impact. Certainly can’t expect much of him, but I prefer him in the side to someone like O’Shea.

Mullett is another one I don’t want to see in the team too much. I understand why he’s in there - our injuries require it - but his skills just aren’t up to scratch, and it shows why he was dropped from North. He can get the ball, but just doesn’t seem to deliver it very well - which is odd, because it’s meant to be his strength.

TL;DR - Fumble fumble fumble...What happened today?
Thoughtful analysis. Thank you.

I can't help but think that we've geared up this season thinking we are one year ahead of where we actually are, overrating our list and picking a side 'to win' instead of 'develop'. It's having the opposite effect. We should have never listened to the media and let them influence us with all their harping about us playing a 'negative' game.

I reckon u just have to put a game like that down to it being "one of those days"

Should have played a ruck. where are phillips and lobbe?

How would our forward line have looked with May taking Cas, thompson on Charles and weiters with the 3rd tall?
In saying that weiters is a piss ant. There is no doubt he is physically weak, Makes jack watts look like Leigh Matthews and I suspect he is mentally weak!

Can't remember how many times we fumbled (many times under no pressure), handpassed behind players, missed easy kicks. Gold Coast were harder and cleaner. A game to forget.

Would think there would be a few players sweating on selection next week.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
The really sad thing about your post is that I don't actually agree that GC were harder and cleaner. I think they were really underwhelming today. They were definitely a bottom four team.....which means.....

I’m not overly worried about where we are heading. Tough with out a legit ruck. I liked the mix and match attenpts by the cosching buy it was mainly uncharacteristic mistakes that cost us. And lynch of course. 4 of his goals were a direct result of a mistake. We had 4 less shots at goal. And had chances to get into the game after struggling. We will learn from this. I love that bolts wants players to learn through perseverance.

Played shockingly bad today. But also a bit to like..

Firstly for some perspective, we had 10 players who have played under 30 games today GC had 4. So whilst it may not have seemed like it, they were a much more experienced side. We had 9 players aged under 22 they had 3.

We still haven't quite got the balance right, we still haven't got players in top form, but gee there were some signs.

Cripps, SPS, Charlie, Fisher, Dow in patches, Garlett in patches.

We are still learning what our best mix is and it feels like we played a really settled side today.
Absolutely reaching with Dow. did very, very little today

I can't help but think that we've geared up this season thinking we are one year ahead of where we actually are, overrating our list and picking a side 'to win' instead of 'develop'. It's having the opposite effect. We should have never listened to the media and let them influence us with all their harping about us playing a 'negative' game.

Agree. It was always 2019 when we started to win more games but IMO today was very winnable and our efforts were pathetic

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Blues loss to Suns discussion/rant etc etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back