Bomber Thompson- major sook

Remove this Banner Ad

It was going to happen sooner or later. A random umpiring decision decides a crucial game at the death. And I say random instead of 50/50 for a reason.

Nobody's got any frkn idea anymore what's a free and what's not in the contested ball/tackle situation. It's become a farce where the evolution of "interpretation" is so far removed from the actual rules as to make them meaningless.

It would have felt wrong for Geelong to have pinched that match, but the decision was terrible.

Bottom line is that if the umpire had kept the whistle out of his mouth there would be NO discussion going on now about how a free should have been paid. It's pretty obvious that the players, the commentators and the 100 people in the pub I was in didn't see a free kick (or in the case of Saints supporters even wish for one).

If any football supporter could honestly tell me they would not be upset after seeing your team win the game and then have it recalled by a late soft decision, which in context with the hard stacks on football that was being played prior makes no sense, then you should just give the game away now. Geelong fans have every right to be upset because they came back in the wet played proper football and won that game.

Gee some people have short memories, last year we lost via a far softer decision and were eliminated in the process and received zero sympathy.

At least you guys still have next week.

It was going to happen sooner or later. A random umpiring decision decides a crucial game at the death. And I say random instead of 50/50 for a reason.

Nobody's got any frkn idea anymore what's a free and what's not in the contested ball/tackle situation. It's become a farce where the evolution of "interpretation" is so far removed from the actual rules as to make them meaningless.

It would have felt wrong for Geelong to have pinched that match, but the decision was terrible.

Bottom line is that if the umpire had kept the whistle out of his mouth there would be NO discussion going on now about how a free should have been paid. It's pretty obvious that the players, the commentators and the 100 people in the pub I was in didn't see a free kick (or in the case of Saints supporters even wish for one).

Honestly what Mooney did would be a free kick any day of the week in a dry game, the only variable was that it was wet. It was 50/50 call in the wet, I dont think anyone could argue that it wasnt a free kick.

This isn't exactly breaking news. I remember him crying a river when the Lions beat them in back in the threepeat years. Sooking about the salary cap blah blah blah. Not that Mic Cryhouse was any better.

Yeah also remember when we beat them in the 2004 prelim he went off because his players shook hands and congratulated the lions players.

No issues with Geelong but this guy is a tool.

Thought Mooney was unlucky to have a free awarded against him - it was a final, wet, and the umpires had been letting a lot go (as they should), however you sure wouldn't say it was a ridiculous free

Then again, Mooney may have been lucky to have a goal given to him earlier in the game off the ground when it could've been touched by a Saints player

I don't think he was unlucky ..it was a pretty obvious free..much more obvious that a couple the Cats players got in their forward 50 in the last quarter ..the Stokes free was a complete joke.

Bomber has no reason to complain his team got some very iffy calls.

Sorry it was in the back...12 hours ago or 30 years ago as was the infamous Xavier Tanner in the back incident b/w North & Carlton at Arden St...

Tanner tackled and fell onto the Blues player. A free kick was awarded and Carlton went on from that incident to win the game. Saw Tanner last Xmas and he still remembers the controversy of it making 'Whats your decision' on World of Sport the following day.

Geelong lost and had 3Q and 98% of the last Q to do something about it.

Sounds like you had one too many in that Pub ..as it was an obvious free...much more obvious than the Stokes one ..or did you and the other drunks miss that as well ?

I watched the replay this morning and you could pull about 30 free kicks of the same ilk as Mooney's in the last quarter alone when the saints where playing stacks on.

I am pretty sure the majority of football supporters will say 'oh fair enough' because Geelong is suffering the tall poppy syndrome, but the reality is that it shouldn't have been called. There was 1 team playing football in the last quarter last night, and that team was not St kilda.

Oh, well history now, but boy i would not like to be playing Geelong next week, or for the rest of the year because they will be pretty upset and with just cause!

There's a sense of entitlement that Cats fans, and clearly Bomber, have that they need to shake off, and show just a touch of respect for their opponents. The rough end of the stick aint great, but that's life and it's how you deal with it that shows your character. It's all easy when you're winning.

Cam Mooney is just a tool, and the heat of the moment gets him off the hook, but Bomber has no excuses.

And the truth Bomber? The truth is on the scoreboard.

I watched the replay this morning and you could pull about 30 free kicks of the same ilk as Mooney's in the last quarter alone when the saints where playing stacks on.

I am pretty sure the majority of football supporters will say 'oh fair enough' because Geelong is suffering the tall poppy syndrome, but the reality is that it shouldn't have been called. There was 1 team playing football in the last quarter last night, and that team was not St kilda.

Oh, well history now, but boy i would not like to be playing Geelong next week, or for the rest of the year because they will be pretty upset and with just cause!

There was only one team playing footy in the first half and that wasnt geelong!!!

Good to see selwood struggle again in a final

(Log in to remove this ad.)

was it a free kick? - probably yes

was it in paid in the spirit of the game, considering conditions, time played, what had gone before? - probably not

sucks to love this game sometimes, & Bombers' human like the rest of us

Sounds like you had one too many in that Pub ..as it was an obvious free...much more obvious than the Stokes one ..or did you and the other drunks miss that as well ?

Thanks for your input. Make you feel all clever?

I'd suggest you have another look at the second half of the game and count how many of those were/were not paid.

The only chance anyone has of guessing - yes guessing - what the umpires are going to do in a given situation is how they've umpired the game up to that point. A knowledge of the rules - or for that matter the rules as they've been interpreted in any other match is no help at all.

The issue is not so much last night, it's the fact that the AFL has painted itself into a corner by manipulating the interpretation of the rules for the purpose of acheiving a preconceived cosmetic result. The process has gone way too far, and the game is now not being umpired according to it some of it's most basic rules.

And karma being the bich that it is, the degradation of the rules is fast producing exactly the opposite look than the one they were searching for.

Put it like this, if no free kick was paid and Ling went on to win the game (as he should have been allowed) then i severley doubt there would be a big thread about how St Kilda were robbed due to a free kick not being paid.

The incident was minor, in the context of the game it should not have been paid.

St Kilda are very very fortunate...but thats the way the cookie crumbles

Thanks for your input. Make you feel all clever?

I'd suggest you have another look at the second half of the game and count how many of those were/were not paid.

The only chance anyone has of guessing - yes guessing - what the umpires are going to do in a given situation is how they've umpired the game up to that point. A knowledge of the rules - or for that matter the rules as they've been interpreted in any other match is no help at all.

The issue is not so much last night, it's the fact that the AFL has painted itself into a corner by manipulating the interpretation of the rules for the purpose of acheiving a preconceived cosmetic result. The process has gone way too far, and the game is now not being umpired according to it some of it's most basic rules.

oh please, the umpiring was good last night...as a supporter all you ask for is if they see it they pay it and they did that all night.

Thought Mooney was unlucky to have a free awarded against him - it was a final, wet, and the umpires had been letting a lot go (as they should), however you sure wouldn't say it was a ridiculous free

Then again, Mooney may have been lucky to have a goal given to him earlier in the game off the ground when it could've been touched by a Saints player

I thought the rules were supposed to be the same every week.

No St Kilda are not fortunate Geelong lost the game themselves. Not the umpires. the whistle blew before Ling even had the ball. the free kick was there. it was in the game. Bad luck geelong sooks clear your throats and wipe your eyes. Hope you go out in straight sets for being sore losers.

Re: Bomber Thompson- major sook

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUSSIES_07_FLAG
We were ****ing Robbed

**** off

Seeing your post makes me smile on the inside ..couldn't have happened to a better supporter .

Freaking funny...I can remember telling a disbelieving Cats supporter mid season to enjoy their era because it doesnt last forever as the past 15 years have shown us with the draft concessions...I think they think it will last forever.

oh please, the umpiring was good last night...as a supporter all you ask for is if they see it they pay it and they did that all night.

Hardly a surprise you feel that way.

The umpiring last night was no better or worse than usual. The incident in question merely draws attention to a major problem which is steadily getting worse.

The truth is that we are miles away from if they see it they pay it.

Freaking funny...I can remember telling a disbelieving Cats supporter mid season to enjoy their era because it doesnt last forever as the past 15 years have shown us with the draft concessions...I think they think it will last forever.

EFA..I think they thought it would last forever. Certainly past tense now.

Honestly what Mooney did would be a free kick any day of the week in a dry game, the only variable was that it was wet. It was 50/50 call in the wet, I dont think anyone could argue that it wasnt a free kick.

Looks like a very similar tackle to the one from last night

[youtube]rec-5TNcCZg[/youtube]

I think its safe to scratch Bomber Thompsons name off the list of potential Essendon coaches.

After his mental breakdown last night its pretty obvious he wouldnt last more than a month coaching that trainwreck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Bomber Thompson- major sook

Remove this Banner Ad

Back