Discussion BRENDON Goddard and Free Agency (Thread Closed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could understand Goddard going to Essendon if they offer him a lot more money but not because he thinks they are a better premiership chance than us. They finished below us on the ladder and we thumped them the last time we played them.

Anyway I'm glad that it looks like Freo are out of the race, that is the one place I would have hated to see him go along with Collingwood. I wouldn't like to see him go to Essendon, Geelong or any other club either but it wouldn't be quite so bad.

The Cats may not offer BJ mega bucks however they could offer him a longer term deal. BJ may prefer to sign with the Cats for 2.2 Mill over 4 years compared to our reported offer of 1.95 mill over 3 years. Who knows, BJ is going to a different club everyday and the Cats have been linked to just about every decent player out of contract.

Geelong are after anyone with a pulse....

To be fair Goddard, Dangerfield and Boak are all pretty handy players.

I think we're probably going to offer him a contract but it will be well down on others in terms of dollars offered. Apparently our highest paid players are only on $550k and we wouldn't offer more than that. The only way I see him coming is if he sees Geelong as the best chance of winning a premiership and is willing to give up some cash for that chance.

To be fair Goddard, Dangerfield and Boak are all pretty handy players.

I think we're probably going to offer him a contract but it will be well down on others in terms of dollars offered. Apparently our highest paid players are only on $550k and we wouldn't offer more than that. The only way I see him coming is if he sees Geelong as the best chance of winning a premiership and is willing to give up some cash for that chance.

If that was the case then St Kilda would match the offer and force a trade

I wouldn't be surprised if it was none, teams are probably only gunning for Goddard because they can pick him up for nothing.
Exactly; if there was no free agency, the possibility of BJ leaving would be laughed at, and rightly so. The Saints wouldn't trade him for anything less than a top-notch offer that only a select handful of teams could afford.

The issue here is that he can go to a club nowhere near the bottom for free. Goddard can still leave for free and go to GWS, as they have the 1st pick in the PSD.

On reflection, Geelong are no chance, and they'll probably know it, unless they get generous with the draft picks (and perhaps someone like Gillies who would fill a need).

Its an interesting case. I think you have to remember that offering to match doesn't mean the player is yours. He is then likely to go into the draft or force a trade if he really doesn't want to be there. I don't think this is the case. Goddard probably knows he won't see a flag and wants to load up on a big fat LONG contract. You also have to remember his trade value probably deters signing him so I doubt a trade would happen.

I suspect that he will sign with another side and that team is probably Geelong. He will want say 5 years/$3m (so $600k for 5 years) and privately want the Saints to match. He knows that the Saints are not going to match $3.2m over 4 years that Essendon will pay so this is not an option. Goddard then gets his 5 year deal and the Saints don't lose a star. It's going to become a part of contract negotiations between clubs and players. Negotiations are apart, then sign an offer sheet with someone else and hope it gets matched.

Goddard will stay at St Kilda. It's just a game of chicken. Don't stress Saints fans.

Its an interesting case. I think you have to remember that offering to match doesn't mean the player is yours. He is then likely to go into the draft or force a trade if he really doesn't want to be there. I don't think this is the case. Goddard probably knows he won't see a flag and wants to load up on a big fat LONG contract. You also have to remember his trade value probably deters signing him so I doubt a trade would happen.

I suspect that he will sign with another side and that team is probably Geelong. He will want say 5 years/$3m (so $600k for 5 years) and privately want the Saints to match. He knows that the Saints are not going to match $3.2m over 4 years that Essendon will pay so this is not an option. Goddard then gets his 5 year deal and the Saints don't lose a star. It's going to become a part of contract negotiations between clubs and players. Negotiations are apart, then sign an offer sheet with someone else and hope it gets matched.

Goddard will stay at St Kilda. It's just a game of chicken. Don't stress Saints fans.
Geelong wouldn't be insane enough to offer him 5 years

I doubt I'm in the minority here, but at $600k for 5 years I think he is gone. I wouldn't want the Saints to match and I doubt they would either.

i agree its hard to gauge what a player wants to do, and why wouldn't you go out and see what your worth on the open market if it gets you an extra 50k a year at the club you want to be at then happy days. I'm just struggling with it because we haven't had FA before and its a player I've loved watching the last 10 years, yesterday i was hoping he'd leave, today I'm hoping he will be a saint for life.

another thing angeleyes i heard a whisper (from a pretty reliable source) luke thompson wanted to come back to victoria due to lack of opportunities this was prior to talia breaking his arm have you heard anything?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it due to a front ended contract, or is he taking less money with a contract extension?

Yep, my understanding Riewoldt's was a front-ended 4 year deal so they could have some salary cap room for 2013-14. Think year 5 is up for negotiation. Doubt it's anything to do with retaining Goddard.

But these sort of facts don't suit the media and some supporters side of the discussion .....

Never let the truth get in the way of a good story. :thumbsu:

But we have a massive crisis and we WILL lose a big name player or two.. It has to be true cos all the "experts" have been saying it for past 2 years and we all know they are never wrong. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

No club, period, signs players @ 27 for 5 years and escapes without either being sacked, talked about and eventually being sacked or faces a board challenge.

Todays AFL is far far too micromanaged to allow for 5 year deals straight off the bat, in a "new" FA scenario where individuals effectively soiled their pantaloons to either ensure the core of their side was cemented, they had depth for the "excess stock" that would be floated or said individuals would push vet status if they remained with their club to negate potential base increases.

No club, period, signs players @ 27 for 5 years and escapes without either being sacked, talked about and eventually being sacked or faces a board challenge.

Todays AFL is far far too micromanaged to allow for 5 year deals straight off the bat, in a "new" FA scenario where individuals effectively soiled their pantaloons to either ensure the core of their side was cemented, they had depth for the "excess stock" that would be floated or said individuals would push vet status if they remained with their club to negate potential base increases.

Five year deals a HUGE risk for any club, even with a young Wayne Carey, simply because of injury or form. A five year deal for a player turning 28 early next year, is out of the question for Saints, or I would imagine any club.

Several clubs offered long term (5 years I think) this year, but these are for players at the start of their careers (i.e Sam Reid at Sydney who is not 21 until December).

ohhhh because you 'suspect' that goddard 'privately' wants the saints to match an offer from another club that we are not to stress.

mate, if you have done any research you know that a sticking point in negotiation is the length of the contract. saints have offered 3, goddard wants 4. where did you pull 5 from? i would bet my house that geelong would not offer goddard a 5 year/600k contract to start off with, and even if they were (a massive if) then the saints would definitely not match it.

unless of course, you 'suspect' that the saints only offer the length of contracts in odd numbers?

Five year deals a HUGE risk for any club, even with a young Wayne Carey, simply because of injury or form. A five year deal for a player turning 28 early next year, is out of the question for Saints, or I would imagine any club.

Several clubs offered long term (5 years I think) this year, but these are for players at the start of their careers (i.e Sam Reid at Sydney who is not 21 until December).
Collingwood is baulking at a 5 yr deal with Cloke, & he's a few years younger..
Surely a 4th year option subject to BJ's third year on X amount is already on the table..

Collingwood is baulking at a 5 yr deal with Cloke, & he's a few years younger..
Surely a 4th year option subject to BJ's third year on X amount is already on the table..
I somehow doubt that we will go for a 4 year deal with goddard and we won't match what out there with FA

ohhhh because you 'suspect' that goddard 'privately' wants the saints to match an offer from another club that we are not to stress.

mate, if you have done any research you know that a sticking point in negotiation is the length of the contract. saints have offered 3, goddard wants 4. where did you pull 5 from? i would bet my house that geelong would not offer goddard a 5 year/600k contract to start off with, and even if they were (a massive if) then the saints would definitely not match it.

unless of course, you 'suspect' that the saints only offer the length of contracts in odd numbers?
Ok if that's the way you want to respond to me then do it. I don't really care if you feel the need to get prickly with me.

If you believe the rumours today, Brent Moloney has listed Essendon as his preferred destination which in free agent speak is that he will sign for them (assuming the rumours are true). Now, I don't think Brent Moloney would be on a huge contract but if Essendon were genuinely in the running for Goddard at $800k per year, I can't see them dishing out the 250k-300k that Moloney would want on Moloney. It makes Goddard so much more difficult. For that reason, I think Goddard and Essendon is a pipedream and isn't going to happen. Yes, they are my thoughts but Fremantle are gone, Essendon are likely gone etc. Either Goddard has agreed to go somewhere like Geelong or he intends to stay at the Saints. The reality is that Goddard's two biggest FINANCIAL bidders have seemingly dropped out meaning that bucket loads of money probably isn't going to be the reason he leaves unless there is a secret bidder that has been kept quiet.

I don't know on length, I was purely speculating. If Goddard wants four years rather than three, I can see it being even more likely that he will sign for an opposition club and want St Kilda to match. Public comments, B & F speeches mean nothing. You have to play it as if you will leave, otherwise you aren't in a strong position if a club thinks you will fold.

If he wants to leave for reasons other than money, he will need to be traded.

If he signs an offer sheet in order to get St Kilda to match, that will leave a very interesting (and completely unique so far in AFL) situation. Say he signs an offer sheet from Geelong for $2.4m over 4 years. St Kilda has been offering the same money, but one less year. St Kilda matches. Is then resentment towards Goddard from inside the St Kilda Football Club for signing to move to another club, even if he doesn't because that is the way the system works? Of will it just be the cost of doing business?

Unchartered territory, and plenty of interesting stuff to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back