Discussion BRENDON Goddard and Free Agency (Thread Closed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
On ya Roo :thumbsu:

With this pay cut from Roo, plus the delistings of experienced players, you can see where the room for player recruitment is coming from. Also gives us flexibility in pay with Caddy. Options for the club are getting better and better.

Here is the article for those without access to it

ST KILDA'S Nick Riewoldt will take a $500,000 pay cut to play next season.
The superstar forward earned more than $1 million this year, but will forgo half that under a deal framed three years ago.

In May 2009, the Saints and Riewoldt (right) signed a four-year agreement in which Riewoldt agreed to a flat $500,000 in the final year of his contract.

The staggering pay cut has emerged as one of the key reasons the Saints have averted a salary cap crisis.

If Brendon Goddard now accepts an estimated $600,000-$650,000 a season offer from the Saints over three years, he would become the club's highest paid player.

Goddard remains the only high-calibre St Kilda player out of contract and, while negotiations have stalled, interest from Fremantle and Essendon has sky-rocketed.

The Dockers, who also remain interested in Collingwood's Travis Cloke, are believed to have as much as $200,000 a season more to offer Goddard than the Saints.

They are also prepared to offer five years. The Bombers have offered four years with industry sources indicating they could pay Goddard as much as $800,000 in his first season.

St Kilda chief executive Michael Nettlefold last night confirmed Riewoldt's contract status, but was reluctant to offer any detail.

"It was an agreement made three years ago which has been beneficial to both Nick and the football club," Nettlefold said.

Riewoldt, who suffered a knee injury with four rounds to play, is in negotiations with the club to extend his contract to 2014.

It is understood that would be a $500,000 contract, although deferred payments from previous seasons would be spread over the 2013-14 contracts.

Riewoldt was unavailable for comment yesterday, but it is believed he has begun his rehabilitation after having surgery to a knee tendon.

The Goddard situation is unchanged.

He wants four years, the Saints have offered three, and talks have been postponed until the free agency period begins in the first week of October.

Nettlefold refused to confirm that if Goddard re-signed, he would be the highest-paid Saints player.

It amuses me how the media make up their own stories and then, when they are wrong, state that the club has sensationally averted a salary cap crisis. FFS, how much of what they say is utter crap?

It amuses me how the media make up their own stories and then, when they are wrong, state that the club has sensationally averted a salary cap crisis.

Sensationally averted 3 years ago.

The Saints could not have been more convincing (for mine) that it was tight last year and there was no issue this year. But they had better sources - Robbo's grandma, Ralphy's third cousin that he only sees at Christmas, the guy on the counter in Eddie McGuire's favourite falafel shop, and Joffa.

9 May 2012
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/mor...force-out-a-star/story-e6frf9jf-1226350266493

A looming salary cap crisis is forcing St Kilda to choose between its stable of stars and the club's next generation.

St Kilda's top 10 players have been the highest paid in the competition for many years, enjoying contracts superior to stars at Collingwood, Geelong and Hawthorn.

The club avoided major salary cap stress late last last year by effectively giving defender Zac Dawson to Fremantle without any compensation.

But it is believed the situation facing chief executive Michael Nettlefold and head of football Chris Pelchen this year is far more serious.

The management teams behind St Kilda's stars are well aware of the money mess.

Roo is an absolute champion and a club man through and through. He agreed to this contract 3 years ago. He puts the club first always.

I think he's done OK out of the club financially.

Twit.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...oddard-didnt-stay-a-saint-20120918-262zv.html

Lyon "He's a special player and I've got a great relationship with him. But we'd all be surprised if he wasn't a Saint."

... admitted he "came in at a disadvantage" last year having inherited a team largely assembled under Mark Harvey.

... reiterated his belief that Alex Silvagni did a serviceable job on Taylor Walker.

... the decision to drop Kepler Bradley for Zac Clarke had been largely made on the basis of athleticism but also to help give Clarke more confidence in the future.

"Brownlows and All-Australians are done by part-timers. "

Media definitely can't lose.

Create an imaginary crisis, dilemma, or drama and then when it doesn't eventuate (or was never going to happen), they can then write of a problem averted, the club averting a crisis etc etc.

And all done with a straight face, as simply the reporters of news, not the creators of constant speculative rubbish.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

'News starts here' or whatever it is* says it all.

* if that is the wrong strap line that is because the dirty rag thought about changing it but then decided not to - so my sauces (pardon the pun) tell me.

Twit.

http://www.watoday.com.au/afl/afl-n...oddard-didnt-stay-a-saint-20120918-262zv.html

Lyon "He's a special player and I've got a great relationship with him. But we'd all be surprised if he wasn't a Saint."

... admitted he "came in at a disadvantage" last year having inherited a team largely assembled under Mark Harvey.

... reiterated his belief that Alex Silvagni did a serviceable job on Taylor Walker.

... the decision to drop Kepler Bradley for Zac Clarke had been largely made on the basis of athleticism but also to help give Clarke more confidence in the future.

"Brownlows and All-Australians are done by part-timers. "

Ross leading by example.

Can't believe you'd say there was a disadvantage inheriting a list with Sandilands, Pavlich, Barlow, Fyfe, Hill, Mayne, McPharlin, Mundy, Mzungu, Suban, Johnson, Ibbotson, Duffield, Broughton, Ballantyne - and probably a bunch of others I can't remember. Freo were well on the way to making finals last year before having a terrible run with injury.

Can't believe you'd say there was a disadvantage inheriting a list with Sandilands, Pavlich, Barlow, Fyfe, Hill, Mayne, McPharlin, Mundy, Mzungu, Suban, Johnson, Ibbotson, Duffield, Broughton, Ballantyne - and probably a bunch of others I can't remember. Freo were well on the way to making finals last year before having a terrible run with injury.

Next he'll suggest he's underpaid.

Let's not forget, too, with Roo, he's set himself up VERY nicely for afterwards, given who he's marrying. :) Being short on cash is not going to be his problem. Ever.

Squizzy1970 said:
Can't believe you'd say there was a disadvantage inheriting a list with Sandilands, Pavlich, Barlow, Fyfe, Hill, Mayne, McPharlin, Mundy, Mzungu, Suban, Johnson, Ibbotson, Duffield, Broughton, Ballantyne - and probably a bunch of others I can't remember. Freo were well on the way to making finals last year before having a terrible run with injury.​
I think (in the context of the interview) he was referring to his list management staff rather than the players.

These guys don't get paid the way we do.
Its not a case of , we'll pay you this much per year but then you'll have to make do with this much.
Its more a case of, you are on a four year contract you will get this much in total.
Its actually better for Roo that he was paid front ended, since he's been able to invest it earlier.
So dont assume he's taken a massive hit for the club.

OK - so he's more of a twat, rather than a twit? (although I can think of another 4-letter "t" word)

He accepted the bloody job knowing the lie of the land, took the cash, but now wants to excuse himself by blaming others?

Squiz your comment about Lyin's comments are typical of someone coming into an organisation, who tends to belittle and run down their predecessor, in order to try and build themselves up.

Typically the domain of the inadequate and insecure. Does that sound like Lyin?

Both, and arguably how one in Rooeys situation goes about it.

For your "prime" years you take max pay, you then use this to cement your earnings elsewhere and at the back end of that you create goodwill & longevity by immediately slashing. Rooey knows he could earn a shitload more for a couple years, but that this could probably be offset by earning less over more years due to the goodwill created, so going forward it'd be 2-3 @ 750k then crash down to 350-400 for the remainder, or 500 flat for 2-3 to 450 for the remainder which is then longer by a year or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back