Discussion BRENDON Goddard and Free Agency (Thread Closed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
ST Kilda and Brendon Goddard have started talks - and the Saints insist both parties are committed to a new contract.

Negotiations are continuing to secure a three-year deal at $550,00-$630,000 a season. Goddard, 27, would secure top dollar depending on incentives in his contract.
He would probably earn more if he left the Saints, but that scenario is increasingly unlikely.
Saints chief executive Michael Nettlefold and Goddard's manager Dan Richardson, of ESP, would not comment yesterday on the financial terms.
Nettlefold said: "We are committed to Brendon, and we believe Brendon is committed to us, and we're hoping the talks get more serious soon."
Asked if the talks were moving in the right direction, Richardson said: "We're in discussions and we're moving forward.
"The discussions are unfolding towards a result.
"I've got no reason to think they aren't moving in the right direction."
Richardson confirmed clubs had approached him about Goddard's future, but refused to name them.
It's known Greater Western Sydney has spoken to Richardson, who told the Giants that Goddard was basically committed to St Kilda.
It was recently revealed that Fremantle had a sizeable war chest and would be interested in Goddard if its pursuit of Collingwood's Travis Cloke hit the wall.
The clear understanding is that Goddard is not interested in rejoining former Saints coach Ross Lyon at Fremantle.
"We have a relationship with all clubs. We talk to a number of clubs about our players. That's what we do," Richardson said.
Goddard's market value has dropped significantly in recent seasons.

Well all sounds very positive. Hope that this is done and dusted soon and Goddard can settle down and concentrate again just on football. As much as everyone says these things are not a distraction, common sense and the results from a number of players in similar situations says the opposite.

Brendon may want to stay at St Kilda forever, but do we want him to stay forever.
I think you would find players, coaches and management,
would want him to stay, if a suitable deal can be done, he mightnt be
setting the world on fire at the moment,but we need to keep him around our club
and not playing against us.

Just needs to get back to the slimmer BJ version. He's been kinda lumbering, which was a problem the last time they (under GT) put the weight onto him to become a "power" midfielder. It's his kicking, reading of the game (particularly the flight of the ball) and his leap that are his key assets. I don't see how the bulk helps him in any of these respects. Lean and mean like the Lenny machine! Look forward to him sticking fat and getting on with the biz.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/142475/default.aspx

Goddard said he was proud to be a Saint and intended to finish his career with the club that took him with the first overall draft pick in 2002.

"As I've said all along, we've been in constant talks with the footy club and they are the discussions we're having at the minute and I think it's pretty clear what my intentions are,"

"I've said all along I'm happy where I am."

"I don't think my body language has changed too much; that's just me being the competitive person I am in wanting to win. I think I've improved in a lot of ways in regards to my teammates and how I give feedback."

Too often, I think, we supporters expect that, because playing footy IS so dominated by correct technique, physical fitness and talent, that the players are machines. Slot them in that role or spot, they should play well. The playing effects of the players' psychology - let alone the emotional wellbeing - is ignored. Or at least it's ignored when it doesn't suit us: when Goddard's emotion is about him "playing for the jumper" and that means he plays well, we love that emotion; but when it's him feel flat, distracted, frustrated, we berate the "machine" for daring to not do what any robot should do and not have emotions.

The emotional scarring of the last four years for our players are immense. Those scars are all the more deep for key players such as Goddard, Hayes, Riewoldt, because they KNOW that, if they had been "on" the way they could be, on those days in September (or October) that really mattered, just that little bit more, they might have got what they have dedicated their lives to attain. "So close" stings deeply.

Some will process that different, and clearly have. Technically, I don't think Goddard has been able to manage his grief (and that's what it is) particularly well, when compared to Hayes, or Milne for example. But I say "technically", because it is too easy to moralise and say that there is a correct way managing grief in a moral sense, and that he should "deal with it" or "harden the hell up". I say "technically", because emotional injury is very similar to physical injury, and the ability to heal in a physical injury can often come down to physical attributes (muscle tone, etc), not just behaviour (pushing too hard, etc). You can do everything "right" and still keep getting injured. I suspect that psychological and emotional injury is rather similar.

I think Goddard has also had emotional injury upon injury, not least at present because of the stress of working out his contract under a great deal of scrutiny. In that sense, he's playing injured. Worse, he's playing injured without getting the recognition of that from many of the fans that are supposed to love him.

Sometimes, the emotional damage is so great that, like physical damage, you have to quit - just talk to Xavier Clarke about that... and I suspect the same might be happening to Kosi right now. No shame in that. That's life.

Sometimes you can get past it. Lenny seems to have done so. MAYBE Roo has (I'm not so sure). Hopefully Goddard can. But if he needs to go somewhere else, or stay with us, for his emotional well being (especially long term), I wish him the best wherever he goes.

Just needs to get back to the slimmer BJ version. He's been kinda lumbering, which was a problem the last time they (under GT) put the weight onto him to become a "power" midfielder. It's his kicking, reading of the game (particularly the flight of the ball) and his leap that are his key assets. I don't see how the bulk helps him in any of these respects. Lean and mean like the Lenny machine! Look forward to him sticking fat and getting on with the biz.

Ha, I haven't seen him live for a while and was't sure if was the widescreen TV that made him appear 'bigger' in particular for his upper legs and 'lower back' area. He looks more like 2004 or so when they tried to make him a full back type player than 2009 when he was possibly our best midfielder. Time to slim down again, I agree.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/142475/default.aspx

Goddard said he was proud to be a Saint and intended to finish his career with the club that took him with the first overall draft pick in 2002.

"As I've said all along, we've been in constant talks with the footy club and they are the discussions we're having at the minute and I think it's pretty clear what my intentions are,"

"I've said all along I'm happy where I am."

"I don't think my body language has changed too much; that's just me being the competitive person I am in wanting to win. I think I've improved in a lot of ways in regards to my teammates and how I give feedback."

his stocks are falling quicker than the euro.

he looks down, a look of a man who knows he's lost. silvagni and gubby allen are smart. they would know the exact role goddard plays and what he is worth. i doubt they'd be interested in giving goddard 600k+

right at this momemt he is worth no more than 450k for 2/3 years. he knows it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brendon may want to stay at St Kilda forever, but do we want him to stay forever.

Why should we not ? He may or may not be 'overpaid' within the AFL restrictions (but compared to e.g. fat Vlad clearly underpaid in any event), but is that a reason not to want one the best St Kilda players of this era ? Remember, it's not as if we have an adequate replacement (or such replacement is on the market and willing to join us) - assuming the club and us supporters still want to see us trying to be successful.

Has dropped off in form recently but he is still a genuine A grader in an era of diluted talent where the bottom 4 sides only have 1 A grader between them. I don't think I could handle watching him regain form and then dominate at another side. It would be like Luke Ball all over again except worse.

Talented young kids are all very good but as Melbourne is showing (and I think GC and GWS will show in the coming years) you need to have a quality environment with at least some quality senior players for kids to develop in. I would much rather go the Sydney route of 'rebuilding' whilst maintaining our best senior players and hovering around the 8 for the next few years.

Well $600,000 is a fair salary. I would have no negative attitudes if the salary was on those terms pear year, with extra financial incentives based on performance. Considering players like Kosi and Gram earn $400,000 apparently (Which I find baffling), that sounds like a fair deal.

Good news that he says he wants to stay but until he signs a new contract with us I will still have my doubts. His body language on the field at the moment certainly doesn't look like he's keen to play for St Kilda, he looked disinterested again against Sydney.

Too often, I think, we supporters expect that, because playing footy IS so dominated by correct technique, physical fitness and talent, that the players are machines. Slot them in that role or spot, they should play well. The playing effects of the players' psychology - let alone the emotional wellbeing - is ignored. Or at least it's ignored when it doesn't suit us: when Goddard's emotion is about him "playing for the jumper" and that means he plays well, we love that emotion; but when it's him feel flat, distracted, frustrated, we berate the "machine" for daring to not do what any robot should do and not have emotions.

The emotional scarring of the last four years for our players are immense. Those scars are all the more deep for key players such as Goddard, Hayes, Riewoldt, because they KNOW that, if they had been "on" the way they could be, on those days in September (or October) that really mattered, just that little bit more, they might have got what they have dedicated their lives to attain. "So close" stings deeply.

Some will process that different, and clearly have. Technically, I don't think Goddard has been able to manage his grief (and that's what it is) particularly well, when compared to Hayes, or Milne for example. But I say "technically", because it is too easy to moralise and say that there is a correct way managing grief in a moral sense, and that he should "deal with it" or "harden the hell up". I say "technically", because emotional injury is very similar to physical injury, and the ability to heal in a physical injury can often come down to physical attributes (muscle tone, etc), not just behaviour (pushing too hard, etc). You can do everything "right" and still keep getting injured. I suspect that psychological and emotional injury is rather similar.

I think Goddard has also had emotional injury upon injury, not least at present because of the stress of working out his contract under a great deal of scrutiny. In that sense, he's playing injured. Worse, he's playing injured without getting the recognition of that from many of the fans that are supposed to love him.

Sometimes, the emotional damage is so great that, like physical damage, you have to quit - just talk to Xavier Clarke about that... and I suspect the same might be happening to Kosi right now. No shame in that. That's life.

Sometimes you can get past it. Lenny seems to have done so. MAYBE Roo has (I'm not so sure). Hopefully Goddard can. But if he needs to go somewhere else, or stay with us, for his emotional well being (especially long term), I wish him the best wherever he goes.

Excellent article. Very well written. Lots of thoughts as to the other side of a situation where we can often look for the obvious.

Is it perhaps not intentional?

Didn't enjoy much of a preseason.

I hope he stays a Saint, can't see him in any other colours....would seem wrong, HOWEVER..

... should he want to leave, please send him up to join my boys in Brissy!!;):p

I hope he stays a Saint, can't see him in any other colours....would seem wrong, HOWEVER, should he want to leave please send him up to Brissy!!;):p

:)

You've already got one of our favourite sons, don't be greedy now.

Good news that he says he wants to stay but until he signs a new contract with us I will still have my doubts. His body language on the field at the moment certainly doesn't look like he's keen to play for St Kilda, he looked disinterested again against Sydney.
Yeah I'm a bit like that as well. Until I've heard he's put pen to paper I won't be getting excited. It's all a little too convenient that this comes up right before his 200th, but fingers crossed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back