Discussion BRENDON Goddard and Free Agency (Thread Closed)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to play it as if you will leave, otherwise you aren't in a strong position if a club thinks you will fold.

Have to wonder whether he's going to go as far as making St Kilda match a FA offer.

Say BJ negotiates $1m p.a. for 5 years, but would prefer to stay with the Saints for $800k p.a. for 4 years?

Would he sign a contract and compel the Saints to match what would impact the club's ability to access other players and be successful, or say "after sniffing around, here's what it will take for me to stay"?

But no question that even if he wants to stay he'll be looking for a benchmark for the Saints to consider, and hold his ground on getting something close to what he thinks is fair given all circumstances.

Ok if that's the way you want to respond to me then do it. I don't really care if you feel the need to get prickly with me.

If you believe the rumours today, Brent Moloney has listed Essendon as his preferred destination which in free agent speak is that he will sign for them (assuming the rumours are true). Now, I don't think Brent Moloney would be on a huge contract but if Essendon were genuinely in the running for Goddard at $800k per year, I can't see them dishing out the 250k-300k that Moloney would want on Moloney. It makes Goddard so much more difficult. For that reason, I think Goddard and Essendon is a pipedream and isn't going to happen. Yes, they are my thoughts but Fremantle are gone, Essendon are likely gone etc. Either Goddard has agreed to go somewhere like Geelong or he intends to stay at the Saints. The reality is that Goddard's two biggest FINANCIAL bidders have seemingly dropped out meaning that bucket loads of money probably isn't going to be the reason he leaves unless there is a secret bidder that has been kept quiet.

I don't know on length, I was purely speculating. If Goddard wants four years rather than three, I can see it being even more likely that he will sign for an opposition club and want St Kilda to match. Public comments, B & F speeches mean nothing. You have to play it as if you will leave, otherwise you aren't in a strong position if a club thinks you will fold.

Essendon can just front load Goddard's contract and back load Moloney's.

That won't be a problem.

Ok if that's the way you want to respond to me then do it. I don't really care if you feel the need to get prickly with me.

If you believe the rumours today, Brent Moloney has listed Essendon as his preferred destination which in free agent speak is that he will sign for them (assuming the rumours are true). Now, I don't think Brent Moloney would be on a huge contract but if Essendon were genuinely in the running for Goddard at $800k per year, I can't see them dishing out the 250k-300k that Moloney would want on Moloney. It makes Goddard so much more difficult. For that reason, I think Goddard and Essendon is a pipedream and isn't going to happen. Yes, they are my thoughts but Fremantle are gone, Essendon are likely gone etc. Either Goddard has agreed to go somewhere like Geelong or he intends to stay at the Saints. The reality is that Goddard's two biggest FINANCIAL bidders have seemingly dropped out meaning that bucket loads of money probably isn't going to be the reason he leaves unless there is a secret bidder that has been kept quiet.

I don't know on length, I was purely speculating. If Goddard wants four years rather than three, I can see it being even more likely that he will sign for an opposition club and want St Kilda to match. Public comments, B & F speeches mean nothing. You have to play it as if you will leave, otherwise you aren't in a strong position if a club thinks you will fold.

I've heard it said that Goddard and Cloke are the big deals that everything else is hinging on.
So you may be right about Moloney, but only if they dont get Goddard.
I'd expect BJ to play it by the book and keep his cards close to his chest.
So I'm thinking we'll be waiting until October.

If he wants to leave for reasons other than money, he will need to be traded.

If he signs an offer sheet in order to get St Kilda to match, that will leave a very interesting (and completely unique so far in AFL) situation. Say he signs an offer sheet from Geelong for $2.4m over 4 years. St Kilda has been offering the same money, but one less year. St Kilda matches. Is then resentment towards Goddard from inside the St Kilda Football Club for signing to move to another club, even if he doesn't because that is the way the system works? Of will it just be the cost of doing business?

Unchartered territory, and plenty of interesting stuff to come.

Yep - it's like Kosi in deep ocean water ... inside a whale

http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/default.aspx?newsid=144603

(geez, that was a funny interview)

The deal with Essendon was agreed to a long long time ago. Us signing Moloney has nothing to do with the deal we have with Goddard.

We have signed both. Also chasing Caddy,Pearce and Rivers.

The deal with Essendon was agreed to a long long time ago. Us signing Moloney has nothing to do with the deal we have with Goddard.

How are those deals with Buddy and NicNat going?

Are GWS out of the running? They've remained quiet and last year avoided picking one of our uncontracted players and with Goddard now out of contract I see them as major players. Really the media beat up means little. We've heard which clubs are interested and that Goddard doesn't want to leave Melbourne and he wants a chance at a club ready for a premiership tilt etc. Goddard to GWS still on the cards IMO.

Essendon can just front load Goddard's contract and back load Moloney's.

That won't be a problem.
Theoretically according to half the "experts" around here but I believe the AFL killed this kind of arrangement years ago. My understanding that actual payments to players are completely different to what is paid in "salary cap" terms. For salary cap purposes, I thought that the amount included every year was the total amount of the contract divided by the number of years. So if you signed a two year deal for 800k then 200k, the amount included in the cap, each year is 500k.

Don't post lies here please.

Theoretically according to half the "experts" around here but I believe the AFL killed this kind of arrangement years ago. My understanding that actual payments to players are completely different to what is paid in "salary cap" terms. For salary cap purposes, I thought that the amount included every year was the total amount of the contract divided by the number of years. So if you signed a two year deal for 800k then 200k, the amount included in the cap, each year is 500k.

Maybe. But how else could Riewoldt with his massive pay cut be explained.
Maybe thats how they deal with it for comparison purposes.
ie Luke Ball goes in the draft and demands $1M for a year and then 25c a year for the next 2.
AFL may well determine that an offer of 335,000 meets that demand.
There would have to be something similar in place for comparing free agency offers, though you'd think there would be some sort of weighting to allow that front ended contracts have more value for investing than rear ended contracts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Willing to put up your BF membership for it?

Signing is against the AFL rules, so either.
a) Hobgoblin is a dirty lying Essendon scum supporting dirty lyer ( did I mention that he's an unclean avoider of the truth ).
b) Essendon will be severly punished for breaking the rules.

I have my opinon on the matter.

Signing is against the AFL rules, so either.
a) Hobgoblin is a dirty lying Essendon scum supporting dirty lyer ( did I mention that he's an unclean avoider of the truth ).
b) Essendon will be severly punished for breaking the rules.

I have my opinon on the matter.

As do I SS.

But why is it in this thread Mr Moderator?

Mr Special Moderator to you.

Didn't get enough love the first time around, and for some unknown reason was one of the things I thought of when Punter mentioned unchartered territory.

If I could explain the workings of a criminally insane mind, I would.

Maybe. But how else could Riewoldt with his massive pay cut be explained.
Maybe thats how they deal with it for comparison purposes.
ie Luke Ball goes in the draft and demands $1M for a year and then 25c a year for the next 2.
AFL may well determine that an offer of 335,000 meets that demand.
There would have to be something similar in place for comparing free agency offers, though you'd think there would be some sort of weighting to allow that front ended contracts have more value for investing than rear ended contracts.

I think your example with Ball shows that that system isn't in place i.e. they'd easily get around it anyway.

If he wants to leave for reasons other than money, he will need to be traded.

If he signs an offer sheet in order to get St Kilda to match, that will leave a very interesting (and completely unique so far in AFL) situation. Say he signs an offer sheet from Geelong for $2.4m over 4 years. St Kilda has been offering the same money, but one less year. St Kilda matches.

Is then resentment towards Goddard from inside the St Kilda Football Club for signing to move to another club, even if he doesn't because that is the way the system works? Of will it just be the cost of doing business?

Doubt there would be much internal resentment from inside the StFC towards Goddard - just a cost of doing business. Maybe the club has left something up their sleeve and not yet made their final offer.
Certainly no resentment from me. I want him to stay.

A lovely delusional post, but one that is common at the moment on BF. Essendon supporters in their droves currently believe that Essendon has the means to:

- draft Daniher as father / son with first draft choice (the only valid one on the list)

- entice and trade for Caddy from Gold Coast. But problem isn't in enticing Caddy, its in coming up with a deal for Gold Coast.

- bring in Goddard from Saints on HUGE dollars under free agency

- bring in Maloney from Melbourne on good dollars under free agency

- trade for Ibbotson from Freo

- trade for Toy from Gold Coast

- trade for Hickey from Gold Coast

- trade for Stevens from West Coast

- two further draft picks (must take 3 in draft and have taken one already with Daniher)

And to make all of this happen, they have no first draft pick (used for Daniher) and won't trade their key players (as you would expect) and are offering players that no one (and I mean not even Melbourne) want.

So this means that Essendon is contemplating bringing ten (10) on to their senior list.

As we are all aware NO ONE has signed anyone. This can't happen to October. But much like their weight training and fitness program, where they wanted to get "big quick", it seems the same policy extends to their drafting.

By the end you may find that Essendon has picked up Daniher and their two other draft choices and thats it. Off to another pre-season of gut busting weights, before the season of hamstring stretching starts all over again.

Goddard, Moloney, Caddy, Watson, Hocking, Heppell etc, what are Essendon doing? cornering the market on oversized slow midfielders?

Barlow and Mundy would give you the full set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back