Brisbane football ratings: Sat 31 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Originally posted by littleduck
Lol funny. You should have started your post with the immortal words "I have a dream...".

Funny thing is (and admit it you are sh*t scared), this is a distinct possibility.

The AFL & Rugby Union are both in the position to crush Rugby League over the next 5 to 10 years, if they get it right and all the cards fall their way it will happen.

DST
:D

Originally posted by Dreams of Four
And your point is?
My point is that spin doctoring is common. People should learn to recognise it when they see it, like you. People should also learn to recognise it when they use it too.

The AFL (and AFL fans) doctor stats (which are otherwise true) to make them sound more pro-AFL.

The NRL (and NRL fans) doctor stats (which are otherwise true) to make them sound more pro-NRL.

My point is that spin doctoring is common. People should learn to recognise it when they see it, like you. People should also learn to recognise it when they use it too.

The AFL (and AFL fans) doctor stats (which are otherwise true) to make them sound more pro-AFL.

The NRL (and NRL fans) doctor stats (which are otherwise true) to make them sound more pro-NRL.

Please let me know which fact I doctored.

The Lions average approx 6,500 more people to each home game. FACT. This would probably be more if the GABBA could hold more fans, as half of the games are sold out. ANOTHER FACT.

Originally posted by DST
Funny thing is (and admit it you are sh*t scared), this is a distinct possibility.

The AFL & Rugby Union are both in the position to crush Rugby League over the next 5 to 10 years, if they get it right and all the cards fall their way it will happen.

DST
Anything is possible.

And no, I'm not "sh*t scared" of RL being "crushed" over the next 5-10 years.

Although, if the Super League war had gone for another 5 years it was a distinct possibility that the game would have kept declining year after year.

Fortunately, in this post-Super League era when all meaningful statistics (including junior participation, tv ratings, crowds) are indicating the game is growing steadily, the game is well placed to remain strong in its key markets in the future.

All codes are growing. But if you say AFL has been growing alot faster than the NRL has been growing, then I might agree with you.

Originally posted by Dreams of Four
Please let me know which fact I doctored.

The Lions average approx 6,500 more people to each home game. FACT. This would probably be more if the GABBA could hold more fans, as half of the games are sold out. ANOTHER FACT.
I didn't say you doctored anything. I said you recognised doctoring I used, ie including SOO ratings.

All I'm saying is that doctoring of facts is common. It's not a bad thing, provided you recognise it when you see it or use it.

Correct if i'm wrong but wasn't it king canute who reckoned he could turn back the tide by just commanding it . LD you remind me of him .No matter how hard you try , spin doctor , throw up spurious arguements , go off at tangents or tell porkies the facts are The Brisbane Lions wickedly outdraw the Broncos . Crowds are up , ratings are going up , juniors have great percentage and absolute numbers and the seniors are starting to move .I don't care where this relates to any other code , because we're not trying to "steal" people from other codes .

Originally posted by cos789
I just think it's fantastic that we are now in the position to seriously compare ratings with the best RL side and an International RU test . If we look at the chronological progression , from having no AFL team in QLD , to having a team . to getting good crowds , to consistantly outdraw Brisbane's one and only highly popular NRL team for the last 4 years , to occassionally outrate them on TV to now , where we're comparing ratings every week . Fantastic !

You must remeber the Broncos game was broadcast on Foxtel at 5.30pm though while the Lions was live and exclusive.

Unfortunately that didn't help the Sydney ratings which were utterly pathetic. I've heard a figure of 55,000 tossed around for the Swans audience in Sydney last Satdee night. At around 8.45pm.

AFL is dominating sporting television up in Sydney in terms of hours covered, yet nobody is watching. I wonder how long this can last.

GOLD -- Rugby Union: Australia v South Africa (live & exclusive on 7) -- 263,207

SILVER -- Rugby League: Brisbane v Cronulla (delayed on 9 & repeated after foxsports live nationwide coverage) -- 162,570

BRONZE -- Australian Rules: Sydney v Brisbane (live & exclusive on 10) -- 155,395

A lot of people would have watched the Broncos at 5.30pm on Fox so they could see the Wallabies straight after. They are great figures for the league considering the game had already been shown.

Originally posted by yob
VFL had 0 presence in Brisbane in 1986. It now matches Rugby League in television ratings, and destroys it in crowd attendances.

VFL has always had a TV presence in brisbane as far back as I can remember. Every Saturday and Sunday there would be live games on 7. It has been there to sample since the 70's. It's nothing new for Brisbane people.

Had that Bronco game been live and exclusive on 9 it would've beaten the rugby test I reckon.

Originally posted by Crooked Rain
You must remeber the Broncos game was broadcast on Foxtel at 5.30pm though while the Lions was live and exclusive.

Unfortunately that didn't help the Sydney ratings which were utterly pathetic. I've heard a figure of 55,000 tossed around for the Swans audience in Sydney last Satdee night. At around 8.45pm.

AFL is dominating sporting television up in Sydney in terms of hours covered, yet nobody is watching. I wonder how long this can last.

On 2ue Sports Show they were laughing at the AFL figures...
I thought the Blockbuster that averaged 160,000 was bad but this is shocking... Against the 3 time Premiers and great time like the Lions you would of expected ATLEAST 200,000 at the min.
I guess people don't believe the soo bull**** that the AFL was trying to promote... 55,000 HAHAHA...

Had that Bronco game been live and exclusive on 9 it would've beaten the rugby test I reckon.

True that.. Watch the League Live on Fox and Union live on 7...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not a question of how long it will last. It has to remain for the rest of the years on this contract and and without doubt for the next contract AFL will be shown live into Sydney on a Saturday night and possibly Friday night as well.

Channel 10 are more than happy to take the hit in Sydney and to a lesser extent Brisbane as they have the finals series in the Southern states that rates it's socks off and brings in the dosh and market positoning.

Is it any coincidence that all rugby internationals so far this year in Australia have clashed with a big Saturday night game in Sydney? The ARU flushed with money and success over the NRL are now having a go at the AFL.

Funny thing is, if Channel 7 get the rights back next time you are going to see even more live AFL in Sydney and Brisbane which will iron out the Friday night issues.

The Rugby League can only dream that FTA TV want's their product so much that they would be willing to play it live to air on a Friday and Saturday night into a developing marker such as Melbourne and drop viewers just to get the rights.

DST

Originally posted by LebaneseForces
On 2ue Sports Show they were laughing at the AFL figures...
I thought the Blockbuster that averaged 160,000 was bad but this is shocking... Against the 3 time Premiers and great time like the Lions you would of expected ATLEAST 200,000 at the min.
I guess people don't believe the soo bull**** that the AFL was trying to promote... 55,000 HAHAHA...

55,000 at 8:45pm is understandable. The AFL was pretty much decided, while the RU game was coming to a nail biting finish.
Most people were flicking between the two all night.
It peaked at well over 100,000 at various times during the telecast.

I wonder if the 2ue sports show was laughing about the 35,000 crowd ?

Typical league jocks picking selective figures (the lowest during the match) to bag AFL, while jumping on the RU bandwagon when it suits them.

Anyway, as DST said, live AFL is here to stay, so who cares.

Originally posted by DST

Is it any coincidence that all rugby internationals so far this year in Australia have clashed with a big Saturday night game in Sydney? The ARU flushed with money and success over the NRL are now having a go at the AFL.

Funny thing is, if Channel 7 get the rights back next time you are going to see even more live AFL in Sydney and Brisbane which will iron out the Friday night issues.
DST

As much as Seven would love to have the AFL back, giving its blessing to put several international rugby union matches up against big AFL matches in the developing markets isn't doing it any favours if it wants the AFL rights. Let's be honest, it ain't just the ARU which is making the decision on when to play games - TV has a lot to do with it as well.

This may not sit well with the AFL when the crunch comes and a decision on who gets the rights is made.

Originally posted by cos789
Correct if i'm wrong but wasn't it king canute who reckoned he could turn back the tide by just commanding it . LD you remind me of him .No matter how hard you try , spin doctor , throw up spurious arguements , go off at tangents or tell porkies the facts are The Brisbane Lions wickedly outdraw the Broncos . Crowds are up , ratings are going up , juniors have great percentage and absolute numbers and the seniors are starting to move .
I agree with all that... because it's true.

I don't care where this relates to any other code ,
That's exactly what this thread is about, in the context of the Gold Coast. It seems you do because you're here.

because we're not trying to "steal" people from other codes .
That's exactly what the AFL is trying to do.

eg the "better venue, better live" campaign by the Lions when ANZ Stadium was still in use was specifically aimed at Broncos supporters. I found this a great campaign in good taste that worked well. Lions marketing campaigns generally do work well, and in good taste.

On the other hand, the AFL itself are the one's who arrogantly big note themself. I've said it before but the AFL have nfi about Queensland (other than spending millions each season).

Fortunately for the game, the Lions coach/administrators do have a clue, and I would argue the Lions are succesful not becase of, but in spite of AFL help.

Originally posted by puddingfactor
As much as Seven would love to have the AFL back, giving its blessing to put several international rugby union matches up against big AFL matches in the developing markets isn't doing it any favours if it wants the AFL rights. Let's be honest, it ain't just the ARU which is making the decision on when to play games - TV has a lot to do with it as well.

This may not sit well with the AFL when the crunch comes and a decision on who gets the rights is made.

I cant see 7 unseating 10's saturday night stuff anyway. If 7 gets back in, it will be at the expense of 9. (And allow 7 to keep its rugby).

Originally posted by grayham
I cant see 7 unseating 10's saturday night stuff anyway. If 7 gets back in, it will be at the expense of 9. (And allow 7 to keep its rugby).
I thought it was a joint bid for the AFL rights, rather than each broadcaster winning each game/tv slot individually. If so, does the AFL have the power to pick n choose the nature of the consortium?
Or did the consortium form an agreement amongst themself last time before they bid jointly for the rights? If so, 7 & 10 would be prevented from backstabbing 9 and going with 7.

I/we don't know enough about how it was structured last time.

On the other hand, I guess the AFL could choose to offer a small bundle of rights one at a time and get 7 on board that way.

If so, with 9 being the premier sports broadcaster in the nation, would the AFL risk being on the receiving end of a backlash from 9? We all know if Kerry Packer thinks he's been wronged then god save the queen, coz nothing can save you.

Also, with the power & influence Edward J McGuire has in the game, does anybody seriously think 9 will be shafted in favour of 7?

i much prefer 10's broadcasts than 9's of a weekend.

might or night not have something to do with commentators. camera work is different between stations too imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane football ratings: Sat 31 July

Remove this Banner Ad

Back