Browne vs Graham vs Post

Who should we play for the rest of the season?

• Browne

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Graham

• Post (Vickery as 1st ruck)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Tiger Titus

Team Captain
May 11, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
I know we seem to have a (well publicized) problem with our Rucks, but we've got to play out the season with the players that are currently on our list. Browne, Graham, and Post are all different players and are at different points in their careers. Each has upsides and downsides relative to each other.

Who do you guys think should be playing out the season for us as a ruckman?

I am personally spewing that Browne got named this week, I think he's been pretty awful for us over the last couple of months, but he is a big boy and he's only 20 years old.

I would be disappointed if we delisted Graham at the end of this year - he showed last year that he can function as a primary ruck, it's just his commitment that is questionable. He has also been in pretty good form for Coburg in recent weeks (in games that Coburg won, as opposed to Brownes BoGs in 10 goal thumpings).

Having said that, I would have liked us to persist with Post for at least a few more weeks. This actually forces Vickery into the role of 1st ruck with Posty as the backup playing forward. I still think that Vickery will become a good ruck in the Brad Ottens mold rather than a dedicated forward, and I would like to see how he coped in a few more games. Post was a decent F50 target last week against the bombers but his kicking let him down, we could have afforded to give him another week or two (Lord knows Browne's no star).

So it's Post (or Vickery if you like) for me, what do you guys think?

Browne for me. Not the popular choice I know but it's my opinion.

Gus has shown that he can be a good ruck but this season has been absolutely awful. If he is to be kept longer term (I have no problem with this) then at this stage getting games into a very raw Browne, while Gus hopefully addresses the problems at Coburg, makes sense to me.

Granted the dawg has had a mixed start to his career. I admit that his tap work is not always the best but that is why he needs game time to develop, and most people can see that he has good sense of the game, can read play, and knows where to be and set up. As awkward as he has looked at times, he has also played some good games. A lot of Gus' games this year he has simply looked lost, outbodied, outrun and outclassed.

One of the things I like about Browne is his commitment and effort. An area where Gus has been sorely lacking...

We have all conceded that finals are out of reach so I don't see the harm in having a good look at who the coaches obviously feel is the most promising young ruckman.

Christ if the likes of grigg, and hislop are getting games ahead of Tuck for the same reason, why should it be any different in the ruck.

My concern is what has changed to make Graham lose it so badly. Could it be the same thing that is causing the rest of our talls to fail in showing signs of significant improvement?

Does BLade have anything to do with it?

I don't want to see Post playing in the ruck if he's a forward. I want him in the forward line learning how to play as a KPP forward. Nothing else.

Browne and gus r ment to b ruckmen post is a forward partime ruck nothing between them in the ruck but Post is the superior player overall so hes a keeper,now thats not saying post is really any good at this stage .Browne is young and you mite think he has alot of upside but sorry to the Browne lovers he is far to unco to improve enough to make the grade delist now.As for gus not sure if he should b given another year either depends on if we can get rucks this draft. AND YES LADE HAS TO GO.

You have to remember that Browne is only 20 years old and they say that ruckman dont peak until about 27. I dont think that he will be a star but i still think he can become a good reserves ruckman who can fill the spot of the third ruckman on the list.

IMO i hate seeing Post playing in the ruck. He is too small and was drafted as a KPP anyway and thats where he should be playing. We have enough key fowards with Jack, Griff and Vickery so i would like to see him play the rest of the season out at CHB because i see him as a better option than players like Thursfield.

Post is not a ruckman, was not recruited as a ruckman and should not be played as a ruckman unless plans A, B, C & D have failed and we have no choice.

Unfortunatley we seem to be floating around the "C" section of this scenario but shit we have cruelled the development curve of this kid.

Stick me on the list of supporters who say - the season is shot anyway so play him up forward whenever possible and tell him to fly hard at the ball, run all day and kick long.

We may actually be surprised at his output...

The issues to me are, Graham has footy talent but is soft and seems to lack the killer instinct of a top footballer.
Browne lacks talent but has time on his hands (most other rucks are shit in their first years) and is far from soft.
Post I'm not including because he's not a ruck and should only be used 5 years down the track pinch hitting if he's still about.

For me Graham should be pulled aside, it may have already happened and told he has the remainder of the season to save his career at the club and should be played. No improvement of effort and it's bye, bye providing we have a ruckman lined up come trade time.

The thread title may be a little confusing.

I agree with those saying that Post should not play as a main ruck. Vickery is an auto include and now that he's fit it looks like Griffiths is as well so we can really only play 1 of Graham, Browne, or Post.

If Post is in the team Vickery plays ruck. I would have liked to have seen that for another game or two.

Post has played about 4 half games this year. All reasonable efforts. Any other player on the list would have been given alot more games. Post looks the goods and he will only be a better player because of this

He's either signed with someone else or out for some other disciplinary reason - nobody could possibly justify keeping this farce going for any other purpose.

Graham's beaten most of the players we could get to replace him, he'd be played ahead of Wood at Collingwood (Graham was the only Richmond player Malthouse mentioned favourably as having won their position after our game), he beat Bellchambers last week, Daw the week before, both on the verge of AFL selection at the strongest of club for ruck depth and quality.

Graham has allready shown he WILL NEVER be a number 1 ruck in the AFL.

Browne, the jury is still out on him and has youth on his side but not much else.

We have to play Post, Vicks as ruck and switching forward for the rest of the year if for nothing more than both these guys getting some development. I really feel for Post as he is lost and has no set position at either AFL or VFL so dont be surprised if he is on the trade table at years end at his request.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why are people saying Gus is soft? That is a myth.
The guy is usually in our top 5-8 players with tackles per a game.

I don't think Browne should be delisted or anything like that afterall he is only 20 but he should be playing in the VFL so he can work on getting better endurance.

Gus is a far better option atm, like one of the posters above he's beaten good players this year Bellchambers (who so many of us want to throw a large amount of money at this year to recruit), the Brisbane ruckman etc.
Gus can actually give us something around the ground and plays his role around the ground and has even been able to snag a goal up forward every now and then. I'd love to see him and Vickery play together for a month and see how that partnership goes.
Btw does anyone know when Gus' contract is out? Maybe GWS are targetting him?

Gus doesn't want it enough. Coasted, now paying the price. Needs to show he'll die for the opportunity.
Browne not as good but effort is enormous. More upside if he could take grabs around the ground. Very young ruckman, they take time.
Post not a ruckman. Pinch hitter at best.
Having said that, for the development of our mids I reckon we could take a 28yo ruck to give us at least something in the guts for a couple of years while the others develop.

Gus doesn't want it enough. Coasted, now paying the price. Needs to show he'll die for the opportunity.
Browne not as good but effort is enormous. More upside if he could take grabs around the ground. Very young ruckman, they take time.
Post not a ruckman. Pinch hitter at best.
Having said that, for the development of our mids I reckon we could take a 28yo ruck to give us at least something in the guts for a couple of years while the others develop.

Yep Browne is only young so you definitely wouldn't be trading or cutting him for sometime yet. I like Browne better around the ground than Gus.

Also agree with a mature ruckman and many on this board seem to be focused purely on youth but a 26 yr old ruck is still young as these blokes take longer to come on.

Post really needs a role and a pinch hit ruck for 5 or so minutes a qtr is all you can really ask of him atm.

Why are people saying Gus is soft? That is a myth.
The guy is usually in our top 5-8 players with tackles per a game.

I don't think Browne should be delisted or anything like that afterall he is only 20 but he should be playing in the VFL so he can work on getting better endurance.

Gus is a far better option atm, like one of the posters above he's beaten good players this year Bellchambers (who so many of us want to throw a large amount of money at this year to recruit), the Brisbane ruckman etc.
Gus can actually give us something around the ground and plays his role around the ground and has even been able to snag a goal up forward every now and then. I'd love to see him and Vickery play together for a month and see how that partnership goes.
Btw does anyone know when Gus' contract is out? Maybe GWS are targetting him?

Perhaps if he could learn to hit to OUR advantage he wouldn't need to lay so many tackles. I cant recall him running down any mids so I am guessing his tackles are directly after a ruck contest?

Perhaps if he could learn to hit to OUR advantage he wouldn't need to lay so many tackles. I cant recall him running down any mids so I am guessing his tackles are directly after a ruck contest?
Be better if he let the opposition mid clear the ball then? Perhaps it's the opposition rucks that got the ball into their own mid's hands and Gus isn't actually as lazy as a lot on here seem to think he is.

Browne is a clanger king and contributes FA with his disposal, he had 4 clangers with 9 touches in his last match, and in his 6 matches he's contributed 4 I50s, 3 R50s, 1.0 and 2 GAs... where is he getting the ball and what is he doing with it?? In Gus's 8 games he contributed 18 I50s, 4.0 and 2 GAs - not a bad attacking contribution.

He's not Dean Cox, he's not Sandilands, but Gus was playing a hell of a lot better than Browne has been.

Be better if he let the opposition mid clear the ball then? Perhaps it's the opposition rucks that got the ball into their own mid's hands and Gus isn't actually as lazy as a lot on here seem to think he is.

Browne is a clanger king and contributes FA with his disposal, he had 4 clangers in 9 touches in his last match, and in his 6 matches he's contributed 4 I50s, 3 R50s, 1.0 and 2 GAs... where is he getting the ball and what is he doing with it?? In Gus's 8 games he contributed 18 I50s, 4.0 and 2 GAs - not a bad attacking contribution.

He's not Dean Cox, he's not Sandilands, but Gus was playing a hell of a lot better than Browne has been.

How dare you come onto our board and speak absolute sense and then back it up with statistical evidence ;);)
Your talking to a lost crowd on this board....
It's clear that Gus is our #1 ruckman by an absolute mile and that Browne would challenge as worst in the league with Mark Blake...

Remove this Banner Ad

Browne vs Graham vs Post

Back