Remove this Banner Ad

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/86695/default.aspx

Without the offer of a new contract, Buckley requested a trade.

He said the Demons were unclear in their commitment up until he was cut from the list on October 13.

"The communication wasn't great, to be honest," Buckley said. "They said right up until the day that it happened that they weren't too sure.

"In the end it had to happen that way. It was a disappointing but I'm not here to bad-mouth Melbourne. They gave me my first opportunity."

I'm still surprised we got rid of him, unless his body issues are worse than we thought. I think he's got genunie talent and could blossom if given an extended run. Hope he finds a new home at Norf.

Personally i think he was a dud. He had good pace and could break lines other than that IMO didnt have much going for him.

Scully can be our new number 1:thumbsu:

Personally i think he was a dud. He had good pace and could break lines other than that IMO didnt have much going for him.

Scully can be our new number 1:thumbsu:

Or number 2 as it seems likely we will take Trengove at #1. According to the papers and such anyway. :rolleyes:

In my mind Buckley coming off a reduced preseason would need the whole of next year to get back to his best, and then the season after that would need to go to another level to become a good AFL midfielder. With Pick 1, Pick 2, Blease and Strauss all coming in for their first full seasons and possibly having more talent, how much time could we afford to give Bucks.

Just like Valenti - I don't see it as purely as a lack of talent to play AFL (even though they might be slightly less talented than the younger guys) but as a forecastered lack of opportunity to get enough games to produce their best.

Saw him training with the 'Roos, dressed in their blue & white, I think it suits him. Hopefully they pick him up, he's not that bad a player.

Cheney, McNamara and Bartram (all out of contract) can consider themselves very lucky to have not gone before Buckley.

I can't remember a player at Melbourne who has paid the ultimate price for having an injury ruined year like Buckley has.

I believe he needed 1 more year to build on a promosing 2008.

Wish him all the best, I thought he could be a good potentially very good player if he got over his injury worries but can understand why we got rid of him.

Cheney, McNamara and Bartram (all out of contract) can consider themselves very lucky to have not gone before Buckley.

I can't remember a player at Melbourne who has paid the ultimate price for having an injury ruined year like Buckley has.

I believe he needed 1 more year to build on a promosing 2008.

Buckley and Valenti paid the price for our f#cked list management. Both have got far more to offer than Bell, who got a 2 year deal last season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still surprised we got rid of Bucks. I suppose our hands were tied.

I just saw Jake Spencer, Kyle Chenney and Tom McNamara at the Rosstown Hotel. (Cue stalker jibes.) I am 5'9 and I reckon I weigh more than Spencer. Why do our players always seem light on by AFL standards? I know we have a young list, but gees Louise...

Feel the same way about bucks, except he wasn't even that good at breaking the lines, maybe at the vfl level but playing with Melbourne he'd get himself into trouble more often than not by trying to take players on.

On top of that he has been around for a while and is injury prone(I think?), happy to get rid of him over Cheney/McNamara who still need time to prove themselves.

Still surprised we got rid of Bucks. I suppose our hands were tied.

I just saw Jake Spencer, Kyle Chenney and Tom McNamara at the Rosstown Hotel. (Cue stalker jibes.) I am 5'9 and I reckon I weigh more than Spencer. Why do our players always seem light on by AFL standards? I know we have a young list, but gees Louise...

Yeah I must admit I share this perception, I have always felt as a team we generally have light frames. I wonder whether this is where the rich/poor gap has its greatest direct effect on the team and its performance, player conditioning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Buckley training at the Roos, not happy with Dees

Remove this Banner Ad

Back