Autopsy Bulldog's effort and Jamarra's brilliance too much for Freo - (102 - 73)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think it’s particularly smart keeping the same player as sub for extended periods of time except maybe finals.

We saw McNeil play really well as sub earlier in the year (against Freo as well possibly) and after three or four weeks of performing the role he’d lost all touch and form. Think you need to be rotating that position.
Your totally right. He had a fantastic impact and deserves more regular game time.

It was a very obvious free kick. Never a realistic attempt.

Freo fans are complaining were obviously influenced by Garry Lyon, who had zero idea today.
Garry Lyon does this literally every single time he commentated our games. I don’t get why they let him on ours, he ALWAYS complains about any free kicks we get and criticises our players while openly barracking for the opposition

He was never in a position to mark that ball.

I dont understand how barely touching the ball when it had gone past him made it a realistic attempt.

Wouldn’t barely touching the ball technically count as spoiling?

I haven’t seen that paid at AFL level (I feel like they’ve tried to make that rule as simplistic as possible; don’t touch = unrealistic, touched = realistic) and I think they have a right to feel aggrieved by that decision.

Great pick up by Matty Innes and Stewart Edge with JOD, he’s going to be some player.
Jamarra moves and jumps like poetry.
Naughton’s second efforts are great.
Bont, McCrae, Libba and Treloar are hardened professional footballers.
Doc is holding the backline together.
Keath and Gardiner are good spoilers but worrisome with ball in hand.
West plays ahead of McNeill and Hannan always.
Cody us confident kicking at goal, Bont is not back there yet. Cody’s pressure is great. We really lacked West or Arty in forwardline, when West came on it was a 1000x what Hannan was giving.

Ironically we had a free kick paid against us in the VFL for an identical scenario a couple weeks back. Our bloke went for a speccy, got a decent touch on the ball, and was pinged for unrealistic attempt
I’d have paid the mark. We’d be filthy if it’d been Cody.

I haven’t seen that paid at AFL level (I feel like they’ve tried to make that rule as simplistic as possible; don’t touch = unrealistic, touched = realistic) and I think they have a right to feel aggrieved by that decision.
Yep, it’s pretty clear cut - if you touch the ball it’s not unrealistic if you don’t it is.

We always complain about grey areas in the rules, this is literally clear cut. He touched the ball it’s not unrealistic.

It was a bad free, it didn’t make a difference to the result move on

Yeah it was definitely not a free kick, according to how they've adjudicated for the past however many years. Annoying for Freo fans but the reaction is just a tad over the top.

It was a very obvious free kick. Never a realistic attempt.

Freo fans are complaining were obviously influenced by Garry Lyon, who had zero idea today.
I dont think Ive ever heard anybody say that as long as you get a hand on the ball then its all good.

It was bizarre how long the commentary went on with it.

Anyways...If Freo dropped their bundle over that call then it speaks to their mental fragility.

I guess its better to blame that one incident than the effect that one of their former players had on turning the result when th game was still in the balance.

Its a fine line but his intent was to mark the ball.

He clearly believed that he would but he misjudged the flight of the ball. By the time he touched it the ball was past him.

It was the definition of an unrealistic attempt.

I dont think Ive ever heard anybody say that as long as you get a hand on the ball then its all good.

It was bizarre how long the commentary went on with it.

Anyways...If Freo dropped their bundle over that call then it speaks to their mental fragility.

I guess its better to blame that one incident than the effect that one of their former players had on turning the result when th game was still in the balance.

Its a fine line but his intent was to mark the ball.

He clearly believed that he would but he misjudged the flight of the ball. By the time he touched it the ball was past him.

It was the definition of an unrealistic attempt.
He was delusional and deserved to be penalised.

Yeah it was definitely not a free kick, according to how they've adjudicated for the past however many years. Annoying for Freo fans but the reaction is just a tad over the top.
I can’t remember another example where the ball may of grazed the top of the fingers (like today) and ones like that were let go.

I’m not arguing with the rule, but if the umpire thinks he hasn’t touched it then it’s a very simple decision to pay, as he was never in a position to mark that.

The carry on is way over the top….that gets paid as unrealistic just about every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great effort seeing we're missing REd, JJ and anyone else I've forgotten....happy with the win, not too excited as next week will tell the tale
And Jones! I knew there was someone I'd missed of vital importance

Andy Day Face Palm GIF by CBeebies HQ

No coincidence that things picked up once we went more direct. We shoot ourselves in the foot so frequently with stupid short kicks that are high risk / low reward. I never again want to see Dale, Daniel or Doc try switch through Keath and Gardiner. How many times do we have to watch these guys cough it up?
Plus Wests 2 clean pick ups and disposals were gold. Never seen Hannan do that.

At about the time the game was turning in our favour at centre bounce in the last, Garry was banging on about Libba, Bont and Treloar turing it around there. But wasn't it Libba, Bont and Macrae in there ... plus Lobb...or was Garry right?

Poulter may not have the top speed, but this speaks for his work rate and ability to run and carry if required

View attachment 1726271

Poulter was great. Was aware of his positioning all game and didn’t let opponents goal side too often.

His opponent got a bit of it when Freo switched the ball, but that was because he kept distance goal side and then had a head start to to defensive end to chop them out.

Was pleasantly surprised by his game.

Its pretty obvious that our set shots improved because we were getting the ball into dangerous spots directly in front of goal.

Compare where JUH kicked them today to where he's been missing them in recent times.

They're a lot easier to kick from 30-40 out in front than they are from wide and on the arc where he's been struggling.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Bulldog's effort and Jamarra's brilliance too much for Freo - (102 - 73)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back