Autopsy Bulldog's effort and Jamarra's brilliance too much for Freo - (102 - 73)

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly there was a directive to go to Jamarra more, and he did not let us down. I really do hope it allows Bevo to see this might be the way forward. I'm not necessarily advocating for Aaron Naughton not to play in the forward line, but clearly he and Jamarra can't essentially play full forward at the same time.

Jamarra is an absolute freak of a footballer I simply can’t wait to watch him develop over the next decade,

Jimmy finally played a whole game in his proper position and amazingly he was very solid and no one is calling for his head

I’ve been a knocker of West but he has earned his spot for next week after a brilliant quarter there

McNeil probably the only other one potentially on the chopping block for next week but fantastic today that we weren’t too reliant on the usual few to win today

Lobb was aweful for 3/4s, but he turned the game in the last.

He's so dangerous around the 50 arc, easier to get possessions there too, we need to wake up to this and get the ball to him

He dominated their second ruck in the last too. And better yet Jackson did stuff all

Last edited:
What a ******* last quarter that was - Rhylee West had a crucial impact in the last - he has to be in the 22 from now on

Jamarra is a superstar, his development this season has been unreal to watch

16.6 is unusual sight for this team but * me it’s good to see
As much as I agree West was brilliant in the last quarter. I actually like him as a sub that comes in and impacts. I'm not sure he's got the engine for a whole game, or early when the speed is right on.
He was amazing in the clinches at the end being really fresh.

Lobb was aweful for 3/4s, but he turned the game in the last.

He's so dangerous around the 50 arc, easier to get possessions there too, we need to wake up to this and get the ball to him
I thought Lobb played okay. He dropped a couple of marks but he was bringing the ball to the ground, beautiful hand ball to Cody who blew a soda, rucked a bit and also kicked a bomb in the last.
Better option anyday than Schache

Last edited:
Lobb is getting an unfair rap by many in my view.

His value was there to see in the last quarter. He is a viable second ruck and essentially dominated his opponent in that pivotal last quarter.

Contrary to what Garry Lyon was seeing, I'm pretty sure that the 3 on ballers to Lobb at CBs during that period were Libba, Bont and Macrae. That, in itself, is noteworthy (if true). That would be our slowest group of onballers, but also our best 3 operators and users in traffic. It would suggest that they were more confident of being able to win the ball and being able to attack rather than having to defend a spread. And so it proved.

Lobb's very competent cover for English should not be underestimated in a team context.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn’t barely touching the ball technically count as spoiling?

I haven’t seen that paid at AFL level (I feel like they’ve tried to make that rule as simplistic as possible; don’t touch = unrealistic, touched = realistic) and I think they have a right to feel aggrieved by that decision.
When he and Mark Howard commentate it goes on to mute. Those guys give a panadol a headache. Lyon such a over rated smirky ********.My dislike for him will never diminish

Now as always…

Expected Score / Actual Score
WB: 81 / 102 (+21)
FRE: 75 / 73 (-2)

Expected Margin / Actual Margin: +6 / +29

Centre Bounce Attendance
28 - Bontempelli
25 - English
22 - Treloar
21 - Liberatore
20 - Macrae
6 - Lobb
2 - B. Smith

Ruck Contests (Hitouts / To Advantage / Sharked)
90 - English (30 / 11 / 7)
24 - Lobb (13 / 2 / 1)

Hitouts To Advantage
WB: 13
FRE: 17

English v Darcy (83 contests)
Hitouts: 25 / 49
To Advantage: 10 / 13
Clearances: 33 / 26
Score: 2.1 (13) / 3.0 (18)

Lobb v Darcy (6 contests)
Hitouts: 4 / 1
To Advantage: 1 / 0
Clearances: 4 / 1
Score: 2.1 (13) / 0.0 (0)

Lobb v Tracy (16 contests)
Hitouts: 8 / 6
To Advantage: 1 / 2
Clearances: 5 / 5
Score: 1.0 (6) / 0.0 (0)

First Possessions
WB: 46

FRE: 49

Clearances / Effective Clearances
WB: 47 / 36
FRE: 34 / 27

Tackle Efficiency
WB: 70%
FRE: 77%

Smothers
WB: 9

FRE: 6

Disposal Retention
WB: 69%
FRE: 73%

Forward Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 72%
FRE: 58%

Defensive Half Kicking Efficiency
WB: 77%
FRE: 78%

Forward Half Contested Marks
WB: 12

Defensive Half Contested Marks
WB: 5

Score Launches
5 - Macrae
4 -
3 -
2 - Daniel, Duryea, Liberatore, O’Donnell, Treloar
1 - Dale, English, Keath, Lobb, Naughton, West, Williams

Targets Inside 50 (Score % From Those Targets)

29 - No target/rushed (31%)
9 - Ugle-Hagen (44%)
4 - Naughton (25%)
1 - Lobb (0%)
1 - McNeil (100%)
1 - Poulter (0%)
1 - Weightman (100%)

Inside 50 Retention
WB: 54%
FRE: 59%

Shots At Goal
WB: 23 (70%)
FRE: 24 (46%)

Scoring Profile (Western Bulldogs / Fremantle)
Set Shot: 13.2 / 6.3
Snap: 1.2 / 5.1
On Run: 2.0 / 0.0
Mark Play On: 0.1 / 0.0
Ground Kick: 0.0 / 0.0

0M-15M: 0.0 / 2.0
15M-30M: 7.2 / 4.1
31M-40M: 2.1 / 1.2
41M-50M: 6.1 / 4.1
51M+: 1.1 / 0.0.0

Scores Directly From FK/50MP: 3.1 / 0.0
Scores In Time-On: 6.2 / 6.1
Scores Sourced From D50: 1.2 / 3.0

Score Assists
2 - Liberatore, Macrae, Ugle-Hagen, West
1 - Bontempelli, Daniel, Hannan, Lobb, O’Donnell, Poulter, Weightman

Disposals In WB F50
WB: 40
FRE: 91

Disposals In FRE F50
WB: 67
FRE: 53

Defensive 50 Marks
WB: 17
FRE: 26

Defensive 50 Intercept Marks
WB: 7

FRE: 7

Defensive Half Turnovers
WB: 24
FRE: 15

Forward Half Turnovers
WB: 42

FRE: 46

Unforced Turnovers
WB: 12
FRE: 19

Unforced Turnovers By Player
3 - Ugle-Hagen
2 - Vandermeer, Weightman
1 - English, Naughton, Scott, West, Williams

Dropped Marks (Uncontested Only)
WB: 5

FRE: 2

Turnovers Punished By Goals
1 - Daniel, English, O’Donnell, Ugle-Hagen, Vandermeer, Weightman, Williams

Champion Data Ranking Points (Supercoach)
128 - English
121 - Liberatore
121 - Dale
114 - Bontempelli
112 - Treloar
108 - Macrae
77 - Ugle-Hagen
77 - Daniel
71 - Lobb
67 - Naughton
66 - Williams
62 - Weightman
55 - B. Smith
55 - Duryea
49 - Hannan
48 - Gardner
44 - O’Donnell
41 - Keath
39 - Poulter
38 - West
33 - McNeil
29 - Scott
29 - Vandermeer

AFL Player Rating Points
18.3 - Dale
17.8 - Liberatore
17.1 - Macrae
14.3 - Daniel
13.7 - Bontempelli
13.6 - Treloar
13.4 - English
12.3 - Hannan
11.2 - Lobb
10.2 - Williams
9.6 - B. Smith
8.9 - Naughton
8.4 - Ugle-Hagen
8.2 - McNeil
7.7 - Gardner
7.6 - West
6.4 - Duryea
6.2 - Weightman
4.6 - O’Donnell
4.5 - Poulter
4.4 - Vandermeer
4.4 - Keath
0.2 - Scott

Time In Forward Half
Q1

WB: 75%
FRE: 25%

Q2
WB: 57%
FRE: 43%

Q3
WB: 33%
FRE: 67%

Q4
WB: 55%
FRE: 45%

Match
WB: 54%
FRE: 46%

Pressure Gauge
Q1

WB: 182 (Average)
FRE: 194 (Above Average)

Q2
WB: 182 (Average)
FRE: 183 (Average)

Q3
WB: 206 (Elite)
FRE: 211 (Elite)

Q4
WB: 201 (Elite)
FRE: 177 (Below Average)

Match
WB: 193 (Above Average)
FRE: 192 (Above Average)

Pressure Points Per Player
84 - Treloar
70 - Liberatore
67 - English
64 - Bontempelli
59 - Macrae
50 - B. Smith
48 - McNeil
38 - Dale
35 - Weightman
33 - Lobb
33 - Williams
31 - Hannan
31 - Naughton
30 - Keath
25 - Daniel
24 - O’Donnell
18 - Gardner
18 - Ugle-Hagen
17 - Poulter
14 - Duryea
13 - Scott
12 - West
11 - Vandermeer

Free Kick Summary
View attachment 1726407

Score Sources

Scores From Stoppages: 5.2 / 3.0
Scores From Turnovers 11.3 / 7.7
Scores From Kick-Ins: 0.1 / 1.0
Holy shite when was the last time we beat our expected score by20+?

His value was there to see in the last quarter. He is a viable second ruck and essentially dominated his opponent in that pivotal last quarter.

Contrary to what Garry Lyon was seeing, I'm pretty sure that the 3 on ballers to Lobb at CBs during that period were Libba, Bont and Macrae. That, in itself, is noteworthy (if true). That would be our slowest group of onballers, but also our best 3 operators and users in traffic. It would suggest that they were more confident of being able to win the ball and being able to attack rather than having to defend a spread. And so it proved.

Lobb's very competent cover for English should not be underestimated in a team context.
He's doing exactly what we need him to do. Kicking a goal a game and helping Tim become one of, if not the best ruck in the competition. He's a better all around player, in the second ruck role than Stefan Martin, Josh Bruce, Josh Schache, Lewis Young, Buku Khamis and who ever else we've tried as a second ruck, and when forward he allows Jamarra and Naughton to take advantage of the fact that a defender has to always be wary of Rory.

Can he do more? Sure, maybe he could, from memory he was Fremantles leading goal kicker last year, but that's not what we need him to do.

Lobb was very average for 2 and a half quarters but really showed something in the last part of the game.

He was never in a position to mark that ball.

I dont understand how barely touching the ball when it had gone past him made it a realistic attempt.
It doesn't.

The rule clearly states that a field umpire shall award a Free Kick in a Marking contest against a Player where the Player: (e) makes an unrealistic attempt to contest or spoil a Mark which interferes with an opposition Player.

There is zero reference to an attempt being realistic or unrealistic based on whether a player touches the ball. What constitutes a spoil or not is up for debate of course, but you only need to look at Ryan arguing that he simply touched the ball, not arguing that he spoiled the ball, when the free was given for you to know that in his head, Ryan felt that simply touching the ball was enough.

I was really impressed with O'Donnell this afternoon. Took a step in the right direction as a versatile 3rd back. Some good courage and athleticism.
Feel like he played as he does in the VFL in the same position. If he plays the way he did today, he shouldn't miss another game. Oozes a bit of class that I have never seen from many of our other options.

Lobb was very average for 2 and a half quarters but really showed something in the last part of the game.
He did come good though. Maybe he had a post bye first half but shook off the cobwebs in the second.

His ruck stats are pretty good reading for the second stringer...

Lobb v Darcy (6 contests)
Hitouts: 4 / 1
To Advantage: 1 / 0
Clearances: 4 / 1
Score: 2.1 (13)
/ 0.0 (0)

Lobb v Tracy (16 contests)

Hitouts: 8 / 6
To Advantage: 1 / 2
Clearances: 5 / 5
Score: 1.0 (6) / 0.0 (0)

Summary

Lobb as ruck - Scoring: 3.1 (19)
Lobb's opponent in ruck - Scoring: 0.0 (0)

Clearances - 9 to 6 in Lobb's favour

We look like a completely different team when we have Richards and JJ down back. We have lost a lot of drive since they have gone down.

Glad Vandermeer has been stringing some games together now though, like what he could potentially become down back.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
How far off are they?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Bulldog's effort and Jamarra's brilliance too much for Freo - (102 - 73)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back