Preview Bulldogs vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Any word on when Tory Dickson will be available? The guy on the club website who updates the injuries has not said anything about him for a few weeks. Kind of poor, supporters have the right to know what is going in.

The Western Bulldogs have made one change for their clash with Brisbane on Saturday afternoon, with Shane Biggs returning to the side in place of the injured Travis Cloke.

Biggs earned a recall to the senior side after a strong performance against Box Hill in the VFL last Friday, while Lukas Webb, Bailey Williams and Caleb Daniel have been named as emergencies.

In good news for the Dogs big man department, Tom Boyd has been named after recovering from a concussion sustained against North Melbourne last week, and he’ll be expected to share on-ball duties with fellow tall Tom Campbell.

The Dogs will be looking for their fourth win of the season when they face the 15th placed Lions, who’ll be looking to halt a three-game skid after going down to Richmond last weekend by 52 points.

The Lions will take confidence from the last time the two sides met, an eight point victory to Chris Fagan’s men during this year’s JLT Community Series, although the Dogs have won their last two matches for premiership points at home by a combined 125 points.

Bulldogs captain Robert Murphy will play his 300th game, the seventh person in the Club’s history to reach that milestone.

AFL Round 5 Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions
Saturday 22 April, 2017, 1:45pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Full back M Boyd F Roberts J Johannisen
Half back M Suckling E Wood R Murphy
Centreline L Hunter L Dahlhaus J Macrae
Half forward J Dunkley J Stringer C Smith
Full forward L Jong T Boyd L Picken
Followers T Campbell M Bontempelli T Liberatore
Interchange M Adams Z Cordy S Biggs
T McLean
Emergencies L. Webb B Williams C Daniel
IN: S. Biggs
OUT: T. Cloke

The Western Bulldogs have made one change for their clash with Brisbane on Saturday afternoon, with Shane Biggs returning to the side in place of the injured Travis Cloke.

Biggs earned a recall to the senior side after a strong performance against Box Hill in the VFL last Friday, while Lukas Webb, Bailey Williams and Caleb Daniel have been named as emergencies.

In good news for the Dogs big man department, Tom Boyd has been named after recovering from a concussion sustained against North Melbourne last week, and he’ll be expected to share on-ball duties with fellow tall Tom Campbell.

The Dogs will be looking for their fourth win of the season when they face the 15th placed Lions, who’ll be looking to halt a three-game skid after going down to Richmond last weekend by 52 points.

The Lions will take confidence from the last time the two sides met, an eight point victory to Chris Fagan’s men during this year’s JLT Community Series, although the Dogs have won their last two matches for premiership points at home by a combined 125 points.

Bulldogs captain Robert Murphy will play his 300th game, the seventh person in the Club’s history to reach that milestone.

AFL Round 5 Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions
Saturday 22 April, 2017, 1:45pm
Venue: Etihad Stadium

Full back M Boyd F Roberts J Johannisen
Half back M Suckling E Wood R Murphy
Centreline L Hunter L Dahlhaus J Macrae
Half forward J Dunkley J Stringer C Smith
Full forward L Jong T Boyd L Picken
Followers T Campbell M Bontempelli T Liberatore
Interchange M Adams Z Cordy S Biggs
T McLean
Emergencies L. Webb B Williams C Daniel
IN: S. Biggs
OUT: T. Cloke
Bevo loves his half backs .

it was the perfect time to blood a youngster

i think bevo will always favour the premiership players ahead of the others
I think Bevo is trying to get some gel to happen like we did last year, then bleed them in. Get the team performing real well to set the standards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to realize we are playing for flags and blooding youngsters is less than paramount unless the finals position is assured or they simply have been playing too well to ignore. One vfl game is too small a sample size to make changes on.

Getting rising star nominations is no longer something to hang our hat on.

People need to realize we are playing for flags and blooding youngsters is less than paramount unless the finals position is assured or they simply have been playing too well to ignore. One vfl game is too small a sample size to make changes on.

Getting rising star nominations is no longer something to hang our hat on.
I'll assume this is in reference to Biggs > Webb.

- I'm pretty sure we all know we're playing for flags.
- Playing Webb would hardly be blooding a youngster.... he should be looking to make the next step now, he's been around for a few years and has played about the same amount of games as Biggs had before last year (in which he then went on to play every game).
- One VFL game is the same sample size as the change is to bring Biggs back in.
- Webb is not eligible for the RS and even if he was, it's insulting to the board to think anyone would want him picked for that reason.

Apart from that, Biggs has already had a chance this season and was fairly bad in 2 games... it's not an unreasonable position to take that someone else should deserve a chance first, so I think it's unfair to speak down to those that thought that way. Webb has been doing everything right so far (was voted BOG last week btw, Biggs not in top 6) so he was a perfect candidate. That's not to say Biggs is a bad choice to come back in but it's not as ridiculous as you make out, that Webb might've been picked ahead of him.

If your post was not about Biggs/Webb, please ignore everything I just said.

Webb has had 2 good games in the 2s in the past and come in and shown he's not ready or hasn't been up to it.

I reckon Bev will wait until he's had a solid month or awesome footy and then unleash him.
That's fair enough reasoning and you're probably right.

it was the perfect time to blood a youngster

i think bevo will always favour the premiership players ahead of the others

As he should. The team is already playing without much in the way of fluidity due to the number of structurally important senior players currently unavailable.

We need to be banking wins against relatively week opposition until that changes, not bringing in more inexperience.

Last edited:
In regards the Biggs vs Webb debate. With a single VFL game to go on for Webb, vs 3 Afl games for Biggs (albeit ordinary ones) as well as the sole VFL game it's obvious that MATCH fitness, experience and the fact he is still a premiership player (!) won over. I'm sure If Webb continues to shine he will get a game. But he'll need to smash the door down and then we could be debating Webb vs Williams instead. I thought I'd be getting my double shot of Baileys early this season, but whilst Dale needs to smarten up, Williams just needs to keep performing and he too is an inevitable inclusion. Of course we have no depth *cough cough* with those 2 and Caleb in the wings, and 4 or 5 best 22 injured we don't need to rush players in.

I'm not sure Bev favours the premiership players. Suckling, Jong, Cloke and Cram all came straight into the round 1 team, with none of them since omitted from the team. OTOH, McLean, Caleb and Biggs have all been omitted. There's more information to say that he doesn't favour the premiership players.

IMO Bev does not play favourites at the selection table, for any reason. He has an objective(s) in mind and picks around that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Bulldogs vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back