Burgatron 2008 - Merged Threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Burgatron's Phantom Draft Due Today

At Collingwood's pick there are a few midfielders left and he picks a flanker. Swift makes sense at 11 and it just makes more sense and I struggle to see how they were dead keen on him a month ago and not keen now.

Maybe they're not sure about Swift's dodgy knees? Just because a player has been linked to a club through BigFooty, doesn't mean said club will actually draft him.

If we go that direction in the draft I will be spewing. Why would we take another mid sized forward and a raw ruckman with pick 17 and 19. I would have thought that Swift and shoenmakers fit into Melbournes needs much more. We need KPF and midfielders. Why would we recruit small-medium forwards? It is the only position we actually look ok in- Davey, Bate, Wona, Sylvia, Robertson (not long left obviously) and Maric would point to the fact we do not need more of the type of player. Its ok to take best available but you still need to consider what your needs are. Lets wait and see how it unfolds but that draft would be a terrible result for Melbourne

Well, that was a bit......underwhelming.

Only because he has players going in a range of about 40 places at a time and each player is linked with about 6-7 clubs "but don't discount Clubs X....N".

So he has covered his backside pretty well more so than any other year. But I guess that's the nature of the draft this year...

LOL at all the nuffies (especially Essendon and Freo supporters) slagging him with statements "I can't see this happening". Come draft day, he'll be closer again than any of these posters and they will do a backflip along the lines of "Well, I am quite pleased with that....really gives us some options" ;)

Maybe they're not sure about Swift's dodgy knees? Just because a player has been linked to a club through BigFooty, doesn't mean said club will actually draft him.

I'd be surprised if he is there at 18. I'd be staggered if he lasts past 11, in fact I'd not be surprised if he is taken top 10.

His speed was what I was talking about. When your that size you want to be QUICK, he not only wasnt quick, he was one of the slowest mids. I know he plays quicker than that but it may be a reason why RMs are not huge fans.

Probably because he's top-aged but built like a 12 year old.

15 – GEELONG – ASHLEY SMITH
Dandenong Stingrays, VIC, Medium defender, July 20, 1990, 185.5cm, 84.7kg
(Draft range: 5-32)

Some recruiters believe Smith is as talented as any player in this draft. Widely regarded as a solid top 30 selection, he has even been touted as a smoky for the Dons at No.5. Hawthorn (No.16) and Port Adelaide (No.22) are also genuinely prospects, but in recent weeks, Smith has shot right into contention at Geelong and looms its most likely choice, unless Johnston is available. The Cats will be keeping an eye out for Trengove if he slid through and Swift, who remains right in the reckoning.

33 – GEELONG – MATTHEW BROADBENT
Eagles, SA, Tall defender, August 1, 1990, 189.3cm, 83.2kg
(Draft range: 15-33)

It would be very difficult to see the Cats pass up Broadbent at No.33, considering he is in their mix at No.15. The South Australian has plenty of admirers, including Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and Adelaide. He is widely praised among the recruiting fraternity and with Geelong looking to bolster its defence, he fits the bill. Cornelius will also be seriously looked at if available.

39 – GEELONG – AARON CORNELIUS
Tassie Mariners, TAS, Tall forward, May 29, 1990, 191.9cm, 83.7kg
(Draft range: 22-49)

Cornelius is regarded very highly by some recruiters, although he has drifted a little in the pecking order. It would not surprise if he was taken early in the second round or the back end of the third. Port Adelaide, Essendon, Sydney Swans, Western Bulldogs and Geelong have been the most common links. The Cats may also consider Luke Rounds and Ben Bucovaz at this pick.

49 – GEELONG – LUKE ROUNDS
Geelong Falcons, VIC, Medium midfielder, February 10, 1991, 180.9cm, 74.5kg
(Draft range: 39-not selected)

There is a strong chance Rounds will be snapped up by Geelong. A local boy from the Falcons, Rounds has also attracted interest from Essendon (67 or 79) and Collingwood (73) late in the draft. Bucovaz and Hall are two other strong contenders for Geelong's final pick, with Shiels, Jetta, Bart McCulloch, Jordan Jones, Jamie Sheahan, Sam McGarry, Riley Milne and Lance Daly also in the mix.

-pleased to see Burgan put Cornelius down for us (even though I doubt whether he'll still be available at 39)....while Steve Wells has been known for some (successful) left field smoky selections, it'd be crazy if at least one of our four picks wasn't on a key forward given it's the only area we really have a 'need.' One wonders how you pick your draft strategy when you really know you have few 'needs' and most of your picks are unlikely to get senior opportunities.

Except Ranga maybe...he indeed looks good.

On a side point, I can't believe Burgo doesn't have Davenport getting picked up. He's very highly rated by us down here, and even in a tough year for recycled players, 15 other clubs would be crazy not to draft him. A late 4th or 5th round pick is well spent that way.

If we go that direction in the draft I will be spewing. Why would we take another mid sized forward and a raw ruckman with pick 17 and 19. I would have thought that Swift and shoenmakers fit into Melbournes needs much more. We need KPF and midfielders. Why would we recruit small-medium forwards? It is the only position we actually look ok in- Davey, Bate, Wona, Sylvia, Robertson (not long left obviously) and Maric would point to the fact we do not need more of the type of player. Its ok to take best available but you still need to consider what your needs are. Lets wait and see how it unfolds but that draft would be a terrible result for Melbourne

The draft is a joke in terms of what we get (apart from Watts)...

Why we would overlook Swift, Schoenmakers and McKernan with our 2nd round picks I have no idea...

I would rather any of Blight, Wright, Rounds or O'keefe than Walters (why we need another crumbing small forward i have no idea...)

Let alone TWO with Neville Jetta at 51!!
Luke Thompson or Taylor Hunt would be better here...

64. Glen Dawson- could be OK...ran 2.75sec over 20m at State Screening and can play a bit apparently, so might be worth a punt if available...

He obviously hasn't paid too much attention to what our needs are. Which is tall forwards, and quick and/or skillful midfielders...Where's Michael Still??

If our draft turns out like this, i'll burn an effigy of Barry Prendergast in my backyard :mad:

He seems to get the groups of players correct but not the order they go in, sometimes (like last year with Ebert) a club will pull a suprise pick and it just throws everything out of order, and it did so with his selections as most after that were wrong. I think the year before he got 6 out of the first ten though.

Why we would overlook Swift, Schoenmakers and McKernan with our 2nd round picks I have no idea...

Just concentrate on who he said we were interested in more then the actual picks.

Last year his PD was rated as good because he got most of the players in the first round, but not necessarily going to the right clubs. So while he gets good info as to which clubs are interested in which players, he has to use his own judgement as to which of 3 or 4 or 5 players he thinks that each club will choose at that pick.

Not great picks IMO, but the important thing was to see names like Schoenmakers, Swift, Strauss, Beams, Suban, Redden & Roughead to consider. He actually named 12 players we'd be considering for pick 17, so odds are he's NFI as to which one we'll actually take.

I would rather any of Blight, Wright, Rounds or O'keefe than Walters (why we need another crumbing small forward i have no idea...)

Let alone TWO with Neville Jetta at 51!!
Luke Thompson or Taylor Hunt would be better here...

64. Glen Dawson- could be OK...ran 2.75sec over 20m at State Screening and can play a bit apparently, so might be worth a punt if available...

He obviously hasn't paid too much attention to what our needs are. Which is tall forwards, and quick and/or skillful midfielders...Where's Michael Still??

If our draft turns out like this, i'll burn an effigy of Barry Prendergast in my backyard :mad:

I wouldn't be upset with how the draft turns out. In 2006 i was disappointed that we went with Grigg and Hampson as opposed to Essendon picking up Jetta and Hislop (2 players rated highly on bigfooty). Two years later, Hislop has been delisted and whilst Jetta has obvious talent, i believe Grigg has shown more at AFL level. Hampson is developing nicely as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually had a lot more fun reading the Bigfooty Mock draft. Although he does have a heap of knowledge, there was not a heap of information in the explainations and he has covered his bases very well.

The information that was most usefull was which teams have been scouting which players.

why oh why would melbourne waste an early-ish pick on a ruckman like roughead when there are plenty of talented midfielders like swift around. so stupid. i dont want melbourne to pick up someone like max bailey around pick 20..such a waste of a pick.

If Melbourne take Lynch and Roughead with 17 and 19 I will be one unhappy camper.
I will be f'n dirty, and be leading the charge to sack Prendergast. Shocking draft from Burgan, a shame, i expected him to at least be mildly accurate. Picking Lynch and Roughead over Swift and Schoenmakers is an absolute joke.

why oh why would melbourne waste an early-ish pick on a ruckman like roughead when there are plenty of talented midfielders like swift around. so stupid. i dont want melbourne to pick up someone like max bailey around pick 20..such a waste of a pick.
You are the only one showing your ignorance not Burgatron.

Bailey was a great selection, and is an extremely talented ruckman.

The only reason he isn't playing is because of knee injuries, and IMO would have played in our premiership team ahead of Taylor and Renouf had he not been so unlucky so far.

I will be f'n dirty, and be leading the charge to sack Prendergast. Shocking draft from Burgan, a shame, i expected him to at least be mildly accurate. Picking Lynch and Roughead over Swift and Schoenmakers is an absolute joke.
I hate it when someone goes to so much effort, and obviously has a very good knowledge of the draft, and posters take lazy pot shots from the sidelines.

I guarantee Burgatron has a vastly superior knowledge on the draft over the amateurs who read draft descriptions on bigfooty.

what says he isn't accurate with that draft? Has it been already?

He bases his pick by whathe has heard and who he KNOWS has been talking to which players.

If melbourne has been in talks with Lynch and Roughead, it might be for picks 17 or 19 or it could be for pick 35, he is saying they've been linked and at that position would be about where they have to take them (gone before 35)

I hate it when someone goes to so much effort, and obviously has a very good knowledge of the draft, and posters take lazy pot shots from the sidelines.

I guarantee Burgatron has a vastly superior knowledge on the draft over the amateurs who read draft descriptions on bigfooty.

Yeah i agree. Matty Burgan has shown in previous years that he usually knows what's going on. Bigfooty isn't the holly grail of recruiting information.

At least Thompson was able to hold his own at WAFL level, not a shocking pick for 83. Guys like Stribbling and Copping couldnt get a kick in WAFL reserves. And lets not mention Collard shall we. :rolleyes:

Don't cloud the issue TOA, none of them went to Scotch. They are DUD's though.

Edited for accuracy.

Armchair recruiters literally getting angry over what an expert predicts.

And how much better would BF be if we could get rid of the pricks? Still I suppose they have to have somewhere to live out their fantasies poor lost souls that they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Burgatron 2008 - Merged Threads

Remove this Banner Ad

Back