Can North go all the way?

Remove this Banner Ad

Take Boomer and Dal Santo out and I'm not so sure.

Both are very good players, NDS still has another two years and doubt Harvey will be hanging the boots up in that time period if he doesn't break down physically.

I think the good thing is that while we did bring in NDS this year kids like Brown, Turner and McDonald all recruited last year made their way into the side and have a significant impact in the team improving. Cunnington also took a big step forward this year as a midfielder and Ziebell has established himself as a forward who can rotate through the middle and put a strong body around the ball when it is required. Swallow is starting to get back to his better form recovering from his Achilles. Wright has showed his potential this year as a defender. Atley has developed well.

I think a number of players too important maturing steps this year. We still have a fair few guys who have struggled with injuries this season and/or had no real pre-season. We also have some exciting kids like Wood, Dumont and Garner who I am sure will be keen to break into the side next year.

We definitely have areas we need to improve on to take a bigger step forward but if we happen to lose an experienced player I am sure we will look to see if we can acquire a free agent to fill the gap.

Good post apart from the Boomer hard tag claim.

Out of interest, who, if anyone, will you guys seek to tag?

There's the obvious candidates in Dal Santo, Boomer and Wells. But Sam Gibson showed that if he's allowed to run unchecked he'll kill you as well.
Like most mobs these days its usually just ONE designated pre game, then reassessed if anyone gets off the chain.
As most will expect we'd be locking down on Dal Santo who is making the difference in the middle during these finals. Not difficult to figure it out because he stands out like dogs balls as their best distributor under pressure and making perfect decisions if given any space at all...that kills. The grunt mids will need someone in their face (which geelong didnt do) but u always clamp the one touch guys as a priority...hawth/syd/freo still work on the same 100yo tried and tested principle.

Kieren Jack onto Dal Santo and force him to defend. Bird or Cunningham type onto Harvey basically playing a blocking role which he hates. Its the screen for Dal Santo and Wells we'll target and try to break down early forcing changes.

Nahh, its a realistic claim on Harvey. Doesnt mean he isnt as dangerous, just easier to clamp down on and frustrate. You traded for and got the bloke you needed to make a difference and take the heat off the others. Harvey having a v good season is no accident...you can thank the work you did at the trade table coz it has added that dimension you didnt have...class and leadership in the middle. His influence shouldnt be undersold and has raised standards of decision making and execution...it started immediately from the first few games and the rest of the midfield dont look as shakey this season from what i see....it is the season which answers the question we kept asking for years......."when are all those good mids we hear about going to step up ?". Sometimes it simply takes a lift in standard from one guy that has done it all. You won't like hearing it but Harvey is not a leader and failed to get the improvement in the others that Dal Santo has caused immediately. Everyone has their opinions and thats mine. Goldstein is still underrated and you guys traded for exactly what was missing last yr.

Like most mobs these days its usually just ONE designated pre game, then reassessed if anyone gets off the chain.
As most will expect we'd be locking down on Dal Santo who is making the difference in the middle during these finals. Not difficult to figure it out because he stands out like dogs balls as their best distributor under pressure and making perfect decisions if given any space at all...that kills. The grunt mids will need someone in their face (which geelong didnt do) but u always clamp the one touch guys as a priority...hawth/syd/freo still work on the same 100yo tried and tested principle.

Kieren Jack onto Dal Santo and force him to defend. Bird or Cunningham type onto Harvey basically playing a blocking role which he hates. Its the screen for Dal Santo and Wells we'll target and try to break down early forcing changes.

Nahh, its a realistic claim on Harvey. Doesnt mean he isnt as dangerous, just easier to clamp down on and frustrate. You traded for and got the bloke you needed to make a difference and take the heat off the others. Harvey having a v good season is no accident...you can thank the work you did at the trade table coz it has added that dimension you didnt have...class and leadership in the middle. His influence shouldnt be undersold and has raised standards of decision making and execution...it started immediately from the first few games and the rest of the midfield dont look as shakey this season from what i see....it is the season which answers the question we kept asking for years......."when are all those good mids we hear about going to step up ?". Sometimes it simply takes a lift in standard from one guy that has done it all. You won't like hearing it but Harvey is not a leader and failed to get the improvement in the others that Dal Santo has caused immediately. Everyone has their opinions and thats mine. Goldstein is still underrated and you guys traded for exactly what was missing last yr.

Really good post apart from the fact that basically up until this year - as you identify - when we got NDS Boomer got the hard tag week in week out.

People remember the couple of games a year when the tag works. Not the rest of the time when he puts in elite performances despite it. He's played with a hard for over a decade now. If he was that susceptible, he wouldn't still be running around. Anyway, there's a million Boomer threads.

For mine the real key is if Lachie Hansen comes up. Scott intimated he will and with JMac doing a hammy its an easy in/out.

With your plethora of tall forwards our defence as it stands would be desperately stretched, but Lachie can either take a man or even better, play loose and chop off attacks or at least create contests and fill space.

Also, Dal Santo didn't cause the improvement in our mids. It is largely, like 90 per cent, down to the fact that the guys like Ziebell and Cunnington and Bastinac are now all mature bodies with 80 odd games under their belts and five or six pre seasons. Also, both Ziebell and Cunnington are now entirely recovered from their early career serious injuries (two broken legs in two years for JZ) and have the fitness base to run out games. That both can swing forward and snag goals is another illustration of their evolution as players.

Dal has undoubtedly helped - hugely - with our onfield leadership and ability to change the pace of the game when required. His ball use is a huge weapon and he has the agreeable habit of bobbing up for much needed goals at the right time. His presence does mean, as I said above, that opposition coaches now have to consider who to tag, where before they just went straight to Boomer.

It was an inspired piece of recruiting. Also, watching the game today, when Dal kicked that goal and the boys went to him, you could see that he's now 100 per cent royal blue and white.

Another key element is emergence of Ben Brown. Our forward line was dysfunctional for much of the season. But the addition of Brown has seen Scott's beloved three talls policy finally click. Add in Ziebell/Cunnington down there too, both of whom are very strong overhead and also ferocious on the deck, and the forward set up really works now.

And yes, Goldy. Was immense this week, truly immense. 50 odd hitouts, a goal, a couple of important marks around the ground and then THE mark in the dying seconds to save the game. He really is a gun.

2015 we are a legit premiership chance.
Prelim is over achieving for this season really, hoping for a good effort against Sydney.

I said you will finish 5th at best.......you finished 6th.

I rate north higher than most, but come on. Thats putting one foot in pool to test the water.
there's no OVER achieving, it's either one in all in. If you're over achieving making a prelim this year, you won't be a flag chance next year.

Really good post apart from the fact that basically up until this year - as you identify - when we got NDS Boomer got the hard tag week in week out.

People remember the couple of games a year when the tag works. Not the rest of the time when he puts in elite performances despite it. He's played with a hard for over a decade now. If he was that susceptible, he wouldn't still be running around. Anyway, there's a million Boomer threads.

For mine the real key is if Lachie Hansen comes up. Scott intimated he will and with JMac doing a hammy its an easy in/out.

With your plethora of tall forwards our defence as it stands would be desperately stretched, but Lachie can either take a man or even better, play loose and chop off attacks or at least create contests and fill space.

Also, Dal Santo didn't cause the improvement in our mids. It is largely, like 90 per cent, down to the fact that the guys like Ziebell and Cunnington and Bastinac are now all mature bodies with 80 odd games under their belts and five or six pre seasons. Also, both Ziebell and Cunnington are now entirely recovered from their early career serious injuries (two broken legs in two years for JZ) and have the fitness base to run out games. That both can swing forward and snag goals is another illustration of their evolution as players.

Dal has undoubtedly helped - hugely - with our onfield leadership and ability to change the pace of the game when required. His ball use is a huge weapon and he has the agreeable habit of bobbing up for much needed goals at the right time. His presence does mean, as I said above, that opposition coaches now have to consider who to tag, where before they just went straight to Boomer.

It was an inspired piece of recruiting. Also, watching the game today, when Dal kicked that goal and the boys went to him, you could see that he's now 100 per cent royal blue and white.

Another key element is emergence of Ben Brown. Our forward line was dysfunctional for much of the season. But the addition of Brown has seen Scott's beloved three talls policy finally click. Add in Ziebell/Cunnington down there too, both of whom are very strong overhead and also ferocious on the deck, and the forward set up really works now.

And yes, Goldy. Was immense this week, truly immense. 50 odd hitouts, a goal, a couple of important marks around the ground and then THE mark in the dying seconds to save the game. He really is a gun.
Fair enough, everyone has differing opinions.
I think you might be underestimating his influence on your midfield though.
From 10th last year, to a Prelim this year...with no noteable difference in return from the KPP's at both ends ? Staring me in the face where the difference is...ball useage/skills/composure under pressure. With established guys like Wells/Swallow missing for large slices there has still been a massive improvement in the midfield.
Yes we know Harvey was getting the hard tag last year, and you finished 10th.
Do you rememeber the powerful Saints midfield and how they were treated by the rest of us ? Ignoring any Riewoldt factor, Hayes was probably their #1 mid BUT every single mob learnt from about 2005 onwards to hard tag Dal Santo rather than Hayes....coz if he was the bloke getting space and time you wouldnt beat them. Showed up even in the 2009 GF when Ling went as usual to Dal Santo and Hayes got off the chain in the 1st qtr and killed them early. You now have that same advantage of an A+ grade ball user. Harvey when tagged simply doesnt handle that dual role of leadership as well as outside mid...Norths midfield didnt have the composure to win the tight games and to me that was largely because the onfield leadership was not there when needed because it was too absorbed in breaking his own personal issues onfield with a one on one. Dal Santo has come in and added it immediately because he has grappled with it all the way thru, and coped with it in a manner that Harvey hasnt.

Last year we were almost giggling every week assuming if the game was in the balance North would LOSE. Remember how many close games ? Harvey is still the same player this year, Swallow/Wells out for stretches, so who has made the difference ?...Ziebell hasnt exactly stepped up much...Cunnington been good again...Gibson etc, but they are now WINNING the closer games this year and against the better mobs. Maturing all at once ?...nope. Harvey as well..he's simply getting more space this season which is no accident. Someone must have been copping most of the heat with Swallow missing the first half and Wells missing most of the season.
I think i know who it has been ;) Harvey is now suddenly a virtual lock for another All Aust, no Swallow/no Wells...and we havent been tagging the other guys. Not much of a secret who has taken the load and made such an enormous difference.

Anyway...just opinions. Norths midfield now looks terrific even on paper and doesnt turn to shit when the pressure is on.

The media will write off Norths chances next week but they are a serious threat.

North's average age last night was 25.5. Hardly a side on the rise.

Firrito, Petrie and Wells all also over 30.

A couple of 29 years olds too.

With their age brackets its hard to see any improvement next year, so I think this is their last roll of the dice for a few years

Good luck to them

North's average age last night was 25.5. Hardly a side on the rise.
Firrito, Petrie and Wells all also over 30.
A couple of 29 years olds too.
With their age brackets its hard to see any improvement next year, so I think this is their last roll of the dice for a few years
Good luck to them
Just wishful thinking.
They will trade for a KPF and if they have any sense will actually take a risk...most mobs are still locked into a far too conservative approach even after a cpl of yrs of free agency.

Dal Santo, Swallow, Harvey, Wells still there next year...if all fit at once then on paper it is at minimum a top 6 midfield, and in form its a top 2-4 ish midfield. All they need is one of Ziebell/Cunningtom/Greenwood/Adams/Atley type to seriously step up (you should expect at least one to take the next step) and suddenly it will be as good as any going around.

Petrie and Harvey skew that age...Wells will only be 30, Firrito 31ish ? How is that a problem next year when all will be playing ? Your age analysis isnt even relevant if they are fit.
On paper, next yr they have an ever better shot at it than this yr. Lots of improvement possible.
Bigfooty is still the only place that thinks its better to be young than to be good.

No they cant. Pretty mature list with not a lot of upside. This is their peak in this cycle unless they find some running mids.
Agreed for future years. It's not the fact that Petrie Wells Dal Santo Firrito Harvey will be the upper side of 30, they can hold their form but that history tells us you dont improve, and North needs them to improve if 2015 is to be a premiership threat.
Also whilst their form against top teams was very good this year, it was also a fairly comfortable draw in the end, I think Geelong is the only other top 8 team they played twice? Will cop a harder draw next year as well.
But then again they are top 4 this year so what do I know? Good luck next week against Buddy and the Swans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not expecting us to get over Sydney on Friday night but it's been a hell of a ride!

It was extremely satisfying to end Essendon and the Cats years.

I just hope we put up a good fight on Friday.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

North v Port GF. Would be the best result for the neutral.

That would be a good, fast, open Grannie.

Nice to see some new teams in it too!

My instinct is to say we can't win this year, but we're only two wins that we've already achieved before away from it.

So I'll have to say that we can. Time will tell whether we do.

No. I expected them to win last night and win well, they won but not well. I think Sydney will belt them or at least pull out to a comfortable lead and then take the foot off the gas. They just have too many holes.

Aside from the fact that Geelong suffered the ignominy of going out in straight sets, they saved some face (and covered cracks) by going down bravely. If they had ended up winning, they would have been embarrassed next week like they were against the Swans earlier in the season.

2015 we are a legit premiership chance.
Prelim is over achieving for this season really, hoping for a good effort against Sydney.
North still need to overcome "bad North". Your first half last week against the Bombers was woeful. Do that against a Hawks or Sydney in a final and they will not let you back in. Even your first half against us was an example. Until North can become more consistant you will not win the flag. You havent yet shown you have reached that maturity level yet.

I wouldn't mind seeing Norf go to the end, its nice having a dark horse to break the Hawks/Swans dominance. Shame they are playing Sydney this week, I can't see the Swans losing at home

Remove this Banner Ad

Can North go all the way?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back