Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Who I'll be barracking for the next three weeks.

Geelong and Port to beat Freo
Brisbane and Footscray to beat GWS
Freo vs GWS - going for whoever looks less likely to drop out. At the moment that's GWS.
Sydney and Brisbane to beat Essendon.
Saints to beat Carlton.

If we win all our games by reasonable margins. We have hope.

All this relying on other teams is bullshit.

The ladder NEVER lies.

We are currently 10th! And 10th is where we deserve to be. All we can do is win the next 3 by as much as we can.

Fk what the other teams do.

Come r24, if we manage to win the next 3 and play finals. Then we deserve to.
If other results don't go our way, then we don't deserve to play finals .

It's really that simple.

We shat the bed today. And we deserve to be in this position. Let it burn, I say.

The ladder NEVER lies.

We are currently 10th! And 10th is where we deserve to be. All we can do is win the next 3 by as much as we can.

It's really that simple.

We shat the bed today. And we deserve to be in this position. Let it burn, I say.
Depends what you're looking to the ladder for. If it's the team with the most wins, then it never lies. If it's the best team, it absolutely does this year given the horrific fixturing, the abnormal bye scheduling, etc.

Who I'll be barracking for the next three weeks.

Geelong and Port to beat Freo
Brisbane and Footscray to beat GWS
Freo vs GWS - going for whoever looks less likely to drop out. At the moment that's GWS.
Sydney and Brisbane to beat Essendon.
Saints to beat Carlton.

If we win all our games by reasonable margins. We have hope.
If any of those outcomes does eventuate we won't even need to win by big margins, we just need to get the wins.

I think the Freo avenue is the most likely but I wouldn't put it past Carlton to brake their supporters hearts once again and lose to the Saints.

Outside of our games - not a solitary game has gone our way the last 6-8 weeks. That’s not going to change now - stick a fork in 2024 no matter how many we win the next 3 weeks. Was a fun ride while it lasted.

When we lose, these threads do feel like Groundhog Day.

There is still a chance. Just got to win the last remaining games. GWS and Freo have a far difficult draw than us, most of them 8 point games.

The ladder NEVER lies.

It's really that simple.

To be honest, if we want finals experience, we've got a 85k mini Elimination Final this week against Carlton.

We've been irrelevent for five years, so to play in five 75k-plus blockbusters in a season is great.

We can build on that - as Kane Cornes has said, we are demanding that the AFL now give us prime time.

Two weeks ago most posters were happy that we could still make it if we lost a game in the run home. Nothing has changed.

A lot has changed. We had two weeks of pretty much every result going the worst possible way for us.

Beat the Blues by 10 goals then basically even with them on pts and percentage with bottom two sides Nth and Rich to come for us.. And just need Ess to drop a game to the Suns or one of the top 2 sides Syd and Bri..

Otherwise looking at the draw need GWS or Freo to drop 2 games other teams above us have an easier draw I reckon

It's actually amazing that it's even questionable if we win all 3 games.

I've been back through the years and most years, 14 wins is good enough for top 5.

Only once has 8th position won more than 12 games and no team with 13 wins has ever missed (in fact it is uncommon to miss with 12 wins).

Hell, I remember when Hawthorn played Essendon in the final round for a spot in finals and we'd won just 9 games and had terrible percentage.

Would be astonishing to miss with 14 wins (even with the extra round) but even if that happens, it doesn't make it less than a 14 win season (and top spot will still only be a couple of wins away). The development has still happened. ready for a full launch next season.

It's actually amazing that it's even questionable if we win all 3 games.

I've been back through the years and most years, 14 wins is good enough for top 5.

Only once has 8th position won more than 12 games and no team with 13 wins has ever missed (in fact it is uncommon to miss with 12 wins).

Hell, I remember when Hawthorn played Essendon in the final round for a spot in finals and we'd won just 9 games and had terrible percentage.

Would be astonishing to miss with 14 wins (even with the extra round) but even if that happens, it doesn't make it less than a 14 win season (and top spot will still only be a couple of wins away). The development has still happened. ready for a full launch next season.
Bear in my I think teams played 22 games through till 2022? Since 2023 it's 23 games

1722807942378.png

There's a lot of hope for us making it- my one risky game is Saints getting over Geelong, if they don't we're going to have to raise our % pretty massively.
Would love to have a crack at the giants in an elimination final!

Two weeks ago most posters were happy that we could still make it if we lost a game in the run home. Nothing has changed.
6 months ago we had posters selecting “no” we couldn’t make finals in 2024, now some of those very same posters are besides themselves that we may not(not talking specifically about things in here, but the Autopsy yesterday was a little unhinged).

Enjoy the ride people, this has still been an outstanding year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ladder NEVER lies.

It's really that simple.

Spot on TD we are and should be in control of our own destiny. Towards the end of the game when GWS were coming our boys did not respond. We were essentially playing for a spot in the finals but the boys didn’t go up a gear in the physicality, intensity or desperation stakes. Hope it does burn for the next time we are in this situation. At the end of the day we could now miss out on playing finals due to US/WE/OUR PLAYERS letting this one slip! We did all the hard work in the first 3 quarters ……….

Another step forward 😊

View attachment 2069305

There's a lot of hope for us making it- my one risky game is Saints getting over Geelong, if they don't we're going to have to raise our % pretty massively.
Would love to have a crack at the giants in an elimination final!

I think 'a lot' of hope of making it is overselling it. Mathematical chance - sure. However when your path to the finals is winning every game and hoping a lot of other results go your way when they pretty much haven't for 6-8 weeks then this isn't 'a lot' of hope - it's an absolute lottery.

We will take either Carltank or Freos spot in the 8

War Attack GIF by Warner Bros. Pictures

The team has taken a huge step forward this year and is capable of beating any other on their day. In a way this improved form has hidden the fact that we still need to add a couple of KPPs to transition from a work in progress to the finished product. We are an exciting young team that should now be an attractive home for free agents/trades looking to move for finals success.
Win the next three games and accept that we have made enormous progress regardless of other results.

If we make it, great we deserve it having been one of the best sides in the competition since round 8.

If we don’t, it will burn all summer and provide the fuel for a fast start next year especially given that the reason we didn’t play finals was losing the port and giants games from comfortable winning positions.

I’d still love to get the Cats on the MCG in an elimination final though…

Granted I believe our list is in a better position and we are fortunate enough to have a substantially better coach - but I worry that missing finals might have a negative impact and would see us follow the rebuilding Adelaide who built and built on ladder positions, almost made finals and then this year have gone backwards in a big way. This is why I think once it became a possibility that actually making the finals would have been fairly crucial for the younger players. Much like making the finals in 2007 was vital for the young Hawks of that era. This isn't to say all is lost if we don't make it and hopefully it is a springboard to bigger things - I just think making finals would have been a huge boost to the squad.

Far out. There have been some meltdowns on the boards in the last day. A little perspective has been missing, I think.

This game against Carlton is our first elimination final. I think the boys will be up and ready to win. It’s Carlton’s elimination final as well. It will be the game of the season. I suggest people work hard to not be sour pusses and put this loss behind you or you will miss the excitement of the lead up in this week, which will be huge.

(I recognise that there is a certain personality type that revels in disappointment. And further recognise that the internet really feeds the endorphin kick from raging disappointment. I simply recommend that if you find yourself dwelling in feelings of overwhelming disappointment that you try to focus on the the excitement of the coming week, rather than yesterday’s letdown.)

6 months ago we had posters selecting “no” we couldn’t make finals in 2024, now some of those very same posters are besides themselves that we may not(not talking specifically about things in here, but the Autopsy yesterday was a little unhinged).

Enjoy the ride people, this has still been an outstanding year.

When isn’t it, after a loss?

(I recognise that there is a certain personality type that revels in disappointment. And further recognise that the internet really feeds the endorphin kick from raging disappointment. I simply recommend that if you find yourself dwelling in feelings of overwhelming disappointment that you try to focus on the the excitement of the coming week, rather than yesterday’s letdown.)
Nicely said, Sonny.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Back