Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a good chance to play either Freo or Carlton at the G providing the Giants knock of Freo at home and then the dogs at the last round. Dogs could miss the 8 entirely

Isn't there an MCC rule that there has to be an MCG game in the first week of the finals or am I hallucinating?
I think I remember that one, didn't they do away with the mandatory MCG games each week after it played a pretty huge role in shafting Brisbane in 2004?

Pointless trying to see who we will play from now. We aren’t even locked in yet. We need to win the last two by more than what Carlton win theirs. I know a few of you will say Carlton won’t win either, or Doggies won’t miss, or la la la… but results have been totally unpredictable for two months now, and will continue to be. How many of us thought we’d be in the 8 this week? Not many! Everyone was like ‘the footy gods are conspiring against us, they hate us, they just won’t tip results our way’… and then lo and behold, a couple of shock results and we’re in. Now to stay in!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After R7, we sat at 1-6 and 69.9% with 474 points for and 678 points against.

Since R7, we have gone 11-3 and 135.4%, scoring 1315 points while allowing 971.

The other top eight's record since R7:

Sydney, 9-5
Port, 9-5
GWS, 8-6
Geelong, 7-7
Brisbane, 11-2-1
Freo, 8-5-1
Doggies, 9-5

All have run better than .500 (except for Geelong. Booya!), but Brisbane are it. They are the squad who have played above the competition like we have. Time to get into the ladder predictor and see how that Brisbane v Hawthorn Granny will come about.

Pointless trying to see who we will play from now. We aren’t even locked in yet. We need to win the last two by more than what Carlton win theirs. I know a few of you will say Carlton won’t win either, or Doggies won’t miss, or la la la… but results have been totally unpredictable for two months now, and will continue to be. How many of us thought we’d be in the 8 this week? Not many! Everyone was like ‘the footy gods are conspiring against us, they hate us, they just won’t tip results our way’… and then lo and behold, a couple of shock results and we’re in. Now to stay in!!
Whilst it's true that the job's not yet done, after weeks and weeks of results not going our way, they well and truly went our way this week. It went from Carlton being our only realistic chance to overtake, to looking like we can jump all of Blues, Freo and Dogs. Yes, we need to keep at it, but it's looking a whole lot better.

I think I remember that one, didn't they do away with the mandatory MCG games each week after it played a pretty huge role in shafting Brisbane in 2004?
Yes, my understanding is that there is still contractually a minimum amount of finals games to be played at the MCG in the finals series excluding the GF. But it's no longer rigid to the point that interstate teams need to play home finals there.

Essentially if there is a final to be hosted by a Victorian team this finals series then it will be at the MCG. If the quota isn't met then the league probably just works it out with the MCC for next year. Could mean an extra couple blockbuster fixtures on a Thursday night - hopefully we feature!

The AFL: How are things, insignificant minion?

Shlub: Great, your eminence.

The AFL: I feel a disturbance in the AFL.

Shlub: It is nothing, sir.

The AFL: What are you not telling me?

Shlub: Sir, the top 8…

The AFL: YES?

Shlub: It’s going great. We have all of the interstate teams in it… except for the GCS… but hey, we knew they were going to fail as soon as we made them, right?

The AFL: Yes, go on.

Shlub: But, um… sir, we have an incursion.

The AFL: By whom?

Shlub: A team that isn’t supposed to be in the 8.

The AFL: The Rebels?

Shlub: I’m afraid so, sir.

The AFL: Don’t worry, little padawan. Just give them a draw against the hardest teams… they will be crushed like all before me.

Shlub: Sir, they seem to thrive on adversity.

The AFL: Then put their games on Sundays when no one will watch.

Shlub: People love their game style and watch them on Sundays, too.

The AFL: You little imp, (lifting the messenger into the air) I should crush your windpipe for telling me such things. (Putting the messenger down) But not today. We will turn this to our advantage. So, our equalization policy is working?

Shlub: Yes, sir… um, yes… right…

The AFL: I feel that you are lying to me.

Shlub: No, never… but, um, maybe there is an issue with the policy… I didn’t do it, and you certainly didn’t do it… but that guy over there did it…

The AFL: Did what exactly?

Shlub: Let the Hawks get really good players that other teams didn’t want.

The AFL: THE HAWKS!! THE HAWKS!? We put down their insurrection in 2018. They are dead! We killed them. Their list is shot. How could this happen?

Shlub: They seem to have re-built.

The AFL: With what? We gave them nothing… whenever they had something, we took it away. The Hawks are dead. We killed them.

Shlub: (Looks sideways and up and down) I don’t know what to say, sir.

The AFL: Say something.

Shlub: The Hawks are flying, sir

Last edited:
The journo we do not speak of says we eat up the big stage and can win it all.

Season 2 Episode 3 GIF by SHOWTIME

From Fox Footy.
HAWTHORN (12-9, 108.5%)

To play:
Richmond at the MCG, North Melbourne at UTAS Stadium

To lock up top eight: Win twice (while staying ahead of Carlton on percentage)

Best case: Finish 3rd by going 2-0 AND Geelong, GWS and Brisbane go 0-2 AND North Melbourne def Western Bulldogs AND Port Adelaide def Fremantle

Worst case: Would miss finals if Fremantle and the Bulldogs match their record AND Carlton either surpasses it or matches it while passing Hawks on percentage (Essendon, Collingwood can also pass them)

It’s happening. It’s really happening. Not only did the Hawks win a mini-final, but the massive margins over Collingwood, Adelaide and Carlton have rescued their percentage. It’s possible they could miss out going 2-0, but you’d think they’d build some more percentage in the process. And as long as they beat the bottom two, one stumble by Fremantle, the Bulldogs or Carlton will lock them into the eight. As we’ve written before, we think this is even more impressive than Sydney recovering from 0-6 to make finals, because nobody expected this from the Hawks... especially when they were 0-5. What an insane season, and absolutely nobody is going to want to play them in September!

Fox Footy’s prediction: Go 2-0, finish 7th at 14-9, face Western Bulldogs in an elimination final

The AFL: How are things, my young padawan?

Shlub: Great, your eminence.

The AFL: I feel a disturbance in the AFL.

Shlub: It is nothing, sir.

The AFL: What are you not telling me?

Shlub: Sir, the top 8…

The AFL: YES?

Shlub: It’s going great. We have all of the interstate teams in it… except for the GCS… but hey, we knew they were going to fail as soon as we made them, right?

The AFL: Yes, go on.

Shlub: But, um… sir, we have an incursion.

The AFL: By whom?

Shlub: A team that isn’t supposed to be in the 8.

The AFL: The Rebels?

Shlub: I’m afraid so, sir.

The AFL: Don’t worry, little padawan. Just give them a draw against the hardest teams… they will be crushed like all before me.

Shlub: Sir, they seem to thrive on adversity.

The AFL: Then put their games on Sundays when no one will watch.

Shlub: People love their game style and watch them on Sundays, too.

The AFL: You little imp, (lifting the messenger into the air) I should crush your windpipe for telling me such things. (Putting the messenger down) But not today. We will turn this to our advantage. So, our equalization policy is working?

Shlub: Yes, sir… um, yes… right…

The AFL: I feel that you are lying to me.

Shlub: No, never… but, um, maybe there is an issue with the policy… I didn’t do it, and you certainly didn’t do it… but that guy over there did it…

The AFL: Did what exactly?

Shlub: Let the Hawks get really good players that other teams didn’t want.

The AFL: THE HAWKS!! THE HAWKS!? We put down their insurrection in 2018. They are dead! We killed them. Their list is shot. How could this happen?

Shlub: They seem to have re-built.

The AFL: With what? We gave them nothing… whenever they had something, we took it away. The Hawks are dead. We killed them.

Shlub: (Looks sideways and up and down) I don’t know what to say, sir.

The AFL: Say something.

Shlub: The Hawks are flying, sir
You've got the job. Start at Netflix tomorrow at 9.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Back