Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Can the Hawks make finals in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Your right I read that wrong. But can we agree that in the last 12 weeks we have beaten 2 team's currently in the 8 and they were sitting 7th and 8th on the ladder at the time.

The way I read the article I don't really see it taking a dig at us just presenting some facts to justify ranking us at 5th

The 4 wins we have against teams sitting in the 8 as of tonight
R9 7 point W v Bulldogs Sitting 11th at the time
R12 25 point W v Lions Sitting 12th at the time
R14 6 point W v GWS sitting 7th at the time
R23 74 point W v Blues sitting 8th at the time

I am not saying we haven't had a tough draw, just we have beaten teams below us really well and have not YET proven ourselves against teams that we need to beat in September.

I hope to God that we get on a run and do get some September wins this group deserves that for sure.
We really need to add Freo into this list, sure they aren't sitting in the 8 now but they were up until this past round and 3rd when we beat them.

Even discounting Freo we have beaten 4 of the 7 teams in the top 8 and lost to Port by a point. The only teams in the 8 we haven't really been competitive against are Geelong and Sydney so only two of the 7 above us.

Your right I read that wrong. But can we agree that in the last 12 weeks we have beaten 2 team's currently in the 8 and they were sitting 7th and 8th on the ladder at the time.

The way I read the article I don't really see it taking a dig at us just presenting some facts to justify ranking us at 5th

I am not saying we haven't had a tough draw, just we have beaten teams below us really well and have not YET proven ourselves against teams that we need to beat in September.

I hope to God that we get on a run and do get some September wins this group deserves that for sure.
I think the article clearly went in knowing we should be higher but trying to justify why we weren't, which is why they called out the soft draw in the post accompanying it and then talked about the wins being narrow or controversial. Fact is in the last 5 weeks we cocked up what should have been a clear win against GWS at home, and we gave Carlton, Adelaide and Collingwood all their biggest losses of the season.

Fremantle beat Hawthorn and they jump from 9th to 6th, same goes for Collingwood. They're only out of the 8 because we were better.

Are you going to question Geelong who have only defeated one top 8 side since round 7?
Are you going to question Brisbane who has only won 3 games against top 8 sides compared to our 4? Same goes for the Bulldogs who have only defeated 4 top 8 sides

Mate your bagging the article and having a go at me and haven't even read it. "Over the last three months, the Hawks have beaten the teams currently sitting 15th, 3rd (by a kick in controversial fashion), 18th, 16th, 9th, 10th, 15th, 8th and 18th (again)." Just pointing out there right. They have us ranked 5th which is awesome.
So... It's Hawthorn's fault the draw is the way it is? We're a bad team because we drew that fixture. mmmkay. He literally says publicly he hates Hawthorn. (but he also says he hates every team) He just hates for the sake of hating. There is nothing to read in his words except click bait.

I’m going to be really optimistic

West coast beats eagles
Essendon beats Lions (punches myself in the face repeatedly)
GWS beats Bulldogs
Hawks beat roos

We end up in 4th
If west coast beat the eagles, I am going to fight like buggery to get back to my own reality.

Mate your bagging the article and having a go at me and haven't even read it. "Over the last three months, the Hawks have beaten the teams currently sitting 15th, 3rd (by a kick in controversial fashion), 18th, 16th, 9th, 10th, 15th, 8th and 18th (again)." Just pointing out there right. They have us ranked 5th which is awesome.
the fact they (and you) have said "in controversial fashion" calls into question the professionalism of the article-writer (I hesitate to call them journo)

Geelong scream Hawks from 2018 to me.
Worst % in the 8, lost more than they have won since their 7-0 start and look less convincing by the week.

The AFL have handed them their obligatory soft game at home pre September that they get every year, they’ll win by 100 points then the media will pump them up for a fortnight before limping to a straight sets exit.
Would love to get them in a semi final week 2 at the G

They are cooked

the fact they (and you) have said "in controversial fashion" calls into question the professionalism of the article-writer (I hesitate to call them journo)
He isn't a journo, his twitter handle has "I hate your team" under it. He is just a d!ckhead.

So... It's Hawthorn's fault the draw is the way it is? We're a bad team because we drew that fixture. mmmkay.
Who said Hawthorn is a bad team?, The article has us 5th in the Rankings. I think that's awesome we are ranked below
Dogs
Swans
Lions
Port

Where should we be ranked? whos spot do we take on based on quality of opposition faced and whether teams are likely to get healthier and/or improve going forward ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Worst % in the 8, lost more than they have won since their 7-0 start and look less convincing by the week.

The AFL have handed them their obligatory soft game at home pre September that they get every year, they’ll win by 100 points then the media will pump them up for a fortnight before limping to a straight sets exit.

They are cooked
It will be interesting to see if they roll the dice on bringing back Hawkins for finals. He seems cooked with that foot injury, but if he passes the fitness tests they'd be tempted.

They'd be hoping for a form flip similar to Gunston's...

Gunston R14-17: Across 3 games (+bye) he kicked 1.1, and had just a total of 3 touches in the 2 games he was subbed during the 3Q. Looked slow and was a liability defensively.

Gunston R21-23: Across 3 games he kicked 12.1, averaging 12 touches and honestly playing in a way I don't think many thought he still could. Second only to Hogan for impact as a KPF in the last few weeks.

It will be interesting to see if they roll the dice on bringing back Hawkins for finals. He seems cooked with that foot injury, but if he passes the fitness tests they'd be tempted.

They'd be hoping for a form flip similar to Gunston's...
Nothing surer than they play him if he’s available.

We’d run the fat bloke off his feet and he’d need to be subbed.

Who said Hawthorn is a bad team?, The article has us 5th in the Rankings. I think that's awesome we are ranked below
Dogs
Swans
Lions
Port

Where should we be ranked? whos spot do we take on based on quality of opposition faced and whether teams are likely to get healthier and/or improve going forward ?
You can only play who you are scheduled to play. The article talks about how we've mainly beaten sides below us on the ladder, ok cool - we've also beaten sides above us on the ladder and really only the Geelong game was a proper loss. We should have beaten GWS, that was a very poor last quarter and was our loss rather than GWS being clearly better.

Brisbane on the other hand have also lost to GWS, and Collingwood who we gave their worst loss of the season a few weeks prior. They've also barely scraped over the line against West Coast and Adelaide, both teams we gave 10+ goal beatings to.

Swans have lost 5 of their last 8 games, including 2 against bottom 10 sides in Fremantle and St Kilda, and 2 games against other finalists in the Dogs and Port by 39 points and 112 points respectively. They also JUST scraped over the line against Collingwood, who again, we gave their worst loss of the season a few weeks ago.

To me, the top 4 form sides at the moment are pretty clear and two of those sides are missing from the top 4 rankings. GWS #1 because of their recent record against other top sides, and then toss a blanket over us, Port and the Dogs. Port and GWS have the best record against the best sides, and along with the Dogs we're playing the best football.

I'll take your vicarious life... haha 😉.

No honest person would have said that the Hawks would be in this position at the start of the year, let alone after round 5.

I get your statement and give you this:

I don't know if others will get this but...

Here is a Military Cadence (Jody) - I Dont Know What I've Been Told - for the Hawks. (Jody refers to the person with whom a servicemember’s significant other cheats while they are deployed).

It is sung during formation running or other work by the sergeant and sung back by his troops.

If you want the tune:

Sergeant: I. don't. know. but. I've. been. told.
Troops: I don't know but I've been told
The. finals. will-see. the. Brown. and. Gold.
The finals will-see the Brown and Gold
Jody. said. that. we. had. Tanked.
Jody said that we had Tanked
But. his. d!ck. he'd. clearly. yanked.
But his d!ck he'd clearly yanked.
Sergeant: One. two. three. four. Hawks. on. the. scoreboard.
Troops: One two three four Hawks on the scoreboard

Sergeant My. Hawks.
Troops: My Hawks
Your. Hawks.
Your Hawks
Our. Hawks.
Our Hawks
The. Hawks.
The Hawks

Sergeant. Sound. off.
Troops: Brown & Gold
Sound. off.
Haw - Thorn
Sound off
Troops: Brown & Gold Haw-thorn, Brown & Gold... HAWTHORN.

And from a great movie:

That's awesome mate! :cool::thumbsu:

You can only play who you are scheduled to play. The article talks about how we've mainly beaten sides below us on the ladder, ok cool - we've also beaten sides above us on the ladder and really only the Geelong game was a proper loss. We should have beaten GWS, that was a very poor last quarter and was our loss rather than GWS being clearly better.

Brisbane on the other hand have also lost to GWS, and Collingwood who we gave their worst loss of the season a few weeks prior. They've also barely scraped over the line against West Coast and Adelaide, both teams we gave 10+ goal beatings to.

Swans have lost 5 of their last 8 games, including 2 against bottom 10 sides in Fremantle and St Kilda, and 2 games against other finalists in the Dogs and Port by 39 points and 112 points respectively. They also JUST scraped over the line against Collingwood, who again, we gave their worst loss of the season a few weeks ago.

To me, the top 4 form sides at the moment are pretty clear and two of those sides are missing from the top 4 rankings. GWS #1 because of their recent record against other top sides, and then toss a blanket over us, Port and the Dogs. Port and GWS have the best record against the best sides, and along with the Dogs we're playing the best football.

Swans have lost 5 of there last 8 and are still a game and % clear on the top of the ladder, they will be full strength 1st week of finals after being hit with injuries last few rounds, They have a double chance and are the only team currently in the 8 guaranteed 2 home finals. History will tell you a side from the top 4 will win the whole thing.

GWS deserve to be up there.

Dogs
Swans
Lions
Port

1724313208599.png

They are cooked

They live rent free in my mind. They're odds on premiership favourites for mine and any other result will simply be an enjoyable bonus to a fun footy season.

Swans have lost 5 of there last 8 and are still a game and % clear on the top of the ladder, they will be full strength 1st week of finals after being hit with injuries last few rounds, They have a double chance and are the only team currently in the 8 guaranteed 2 home finals. History will tell you a side from the top 4 will win the whole thing.

GWS deserve to be up there.

Its genuinely weird how much of your account is now dedicated to a pretty badly written Fox Footy power rankings article that you’re defending while running down our side in the process. Is this your idea of a reverse moz or something?

Apparently the 3 highest rated teams going into the finals are Bulldogs, Brisbane, Hawks, none of which are top 4, so it's interesting to see what happens.

Taggers have been valuable this year, Jordan at Sydney has a 9-1 record when tagging and a 1-4 when not tagging, it seems like tagging Stewart from Geelong gives you 6 bonus goals compared to not tagging him, so if you don't tag Stewart (geel) you're pretty much an idiot, I'm guessing the Hawks analyst has passed this info on and it's why Finn Maginness is playing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Hawks made finals in 2024! - Hawks finals discussion

Back