Can The Saints Derail The Hawks???

Remove this Banner Ad

The way I see it is,

- If both teams play their best, there is no sure winner.
- If one team doesn't play their best, the other will win.

Will be a close game. My heart tells me that Hawthorn should win but my head and experiences over the last 17 years (since I last saw them in a GF) tells me nothing is a given.

I will now return to my fence. :p

Got room up there for one more?

All this talk about Hawthorn having a poor midfield makes me laugh

Buddy kicks 102 & Roughhead kicks 61 now lets see that totals 163 without taking into account Buddy can't kick straight (more behinds than Roughhead's goal telly) and there are several other goal kickers in the Hawthorn side. How is the ball getting down there if the midfield is poor.

As someone wrote the best two sides are Geelong and Hawthorn and if St Kilda get up Geelong will smash them, maybe Ports record wont last as long as some thought it might.

A mate once remarked that one day Buddy will go beserk and kick 15 straight (SCARY! O please don't let it be against Essendon)

Enough of this bullshit trolling. The saints Rnd 16 win means about as much as the Bulldogs win in tassie this year against the Hawks.

How did that work out for the dogs in week 1 ?

The saints need to lift performance dramatically based on what they showed against collingwood to get to a level to compete with the hawks let alone worry about winning by 5 goals again.

Let's use a bit of logic here:

How the hawks played against the dogs (pressure/skill wise) is how they will play against the saints (fresh from a week off as well), the saints will be under the same pressure that Geelong placed on them in week1 (far more significant than what the pies dished up on saturday night) and will need to perform at a highler level than they've played all year over 4 quarters.

Now saints fans, debate away as to how you may beat us but keep the above in mind because thats exactly how the game will be played.

Yep, the Saints won't be running it out of defense so easily this week, Cyril, Ozzie, Browny, Stokesy will see to that....Saints will be a tad slow, will try and bog us down with there boring footy therefore the Hawks will move the ball quicker, score more goals and win....

Hawks by 28+pts :thumbsu:

yet you couldn't beat us in round 16.

keep panting though, some much needed oxygen will flow.

It seems the Saints didn't beat the Pies in round 8 or 19, so apparently as the Saints won on Saturday and still got through to this week the scores start at 0 - 0 this week.

Will be a good game.

Enough of this bullshit trolling. The saints Rnd 16 win means about as much as the Bulldogs win in tassie this year against the Hawks.

How did that work out for the dogs in week 1 ?

The saints need to lift performance dramatically based on what they showed against collingwood to get to a level to compete with the hawks let alone worry about winning by 5 goals again.

Let's use a bit of logic here:

How the hawks played against the dogs (pressure/skill wise) is how they will play against the saints (fresh from a week off as well), the saints will be under the same pressure that Geelong placed on them in week1 (far more significant than what the pies dished up on saturday night) and will need to perform at a highler level than they've played all year over 4 quarters.

Now saints fans, debate away as to how you may beat us but keep the above in mind because thats exactly how the game will be played.

Another thing to consider several Hawthorn players were playing in their first final therefore will be better for the run, I'm aware that same applies to St Kilda but Hawthorn are several levels above St Kilda and while Saints fans want to believe their team will win but if I had to choose I would rather be in a Hawthorn jumper than a Saint one.

I see too many options for Hawthorn across the ground and while St Kilda have had a great season they seem overly dependant on a handful of players.

Another way of looking at it is to ask who has the most deph and who has the biggest weakness for its this area that pushes the match into Hawthorn's favor.

I love the Round 16 argument. Lets bring up the 71 Grand Final and call it relevant shall we?

Premierships arent won in a Home and Away game 8 weeks ago. This is the real deal and the team you play this week will not be bending over like Collingwood did. Also there is a man standing in the forward 50 in brown and gold who could rip the game away in the blink of an eye. Game on!

The way I see it is,

- If both teams play their best, there is no sure winner.
- If one team doesn't play their best, the other will win.

Will be a close game. My heart tells me that Hawthorn should win but my head and experiences over the last 17 years (since I last saw them in a GF) tells me nothing is a given.

I will now return to my fence. :p
I'm there with you

A mate once remarked that one day Buddy will go beserk and kick 15 straight (SCARY! O please don't let it be against Essendon)

Doubtful. I think his behind tally actually inflates his shots on goal average. Every time he misses, the ball stays in the area. The Hawks are pretty good at locking sides down in their own half. But if he kicks a goal, it comes back to the middle.

Doubtful. I think his behind tally actually inflates his shots on goal average. Every time he misses, the ball stays in the area. The Hawks are pretty good at locking sides down in their own half. But if he kicks a goal, it comes back to the middle.
The old 7 point play. His accuracy is probably worse if you include the ones that don't even score. Not the Reiwoldt is much better in that regard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A wingman in the Hawthorn set up is a back flanker at any other club ;)
that and the fact he's always chasing Milne around.

Chasing Milne??

Brown perhaps, Guerra sure. Bateman no.

As for the first remark..well...I was kind of waiting for that.:p

I know maths isn't a geelong supporters strength but at 15-1 geelong was assured of top spot. Likewise, Hawthorn at 13-3 were assured of a top 4 spot.
FFS, do the maths.:rolleyes:

Let me get this right, just so it's clear in my own mind.

After 16 rounds Geelong were 15-1 and Hawthorn were 13-3.

With 6 rounds left if Geelong lost all remaining games they would have ended with a 15-7 record for the home and away.
If Hawthorn won their last 6 they would have ended with a 19-3 Record for the home and away.
Tell me how Geelong were assured top spot at that stage of the season?
Obviously maths isn't your strong point at Primary School.

Let me get this right, just so it's clear in my own mind.

After 16 rounds Geelong were 15-1 and Hawthorn were 13-3.

With 6 rounds left if Geelong lost all remaining games they would have ended with a 15-7 record for the home and away.
If Hawthorn won their last 6 they would have ended with a 19-3 Record for the home and away.
Tell me how Geelong were assured top spot at that stage of the season?
Obviously maths isn't your strong point at Primary School.

Was logic yours? Or common sense?

Because that was NEVER going to happen.

Stop embarrassing yourself Falchoon. I would be surprised if Bateman even knew where the backline was. He is a classic wingman.

Is that the same Bateman that was in the backline and jumped and pumped his fist like he'd just won a flag when 2/3rds of the Hawthorn team flooded back infront of that spaz Fevola to prevent him from kicking his ton?

Is that the same Bateman that was in the backline and jumped and pumped his fist like he'd just won a flag when 2/3rds of the Hawthorn team flooded back infront of that spaz Fevola to prevent him from kicking his ton?

Same one. Being a gut runner he runs through there occassionally so I suppose he does know where it is, smart guy.

Completely different to actually lining up there though isn't it? Bateman is as much a backman as Franklin.

Chasing Milne??

Brown perhaps, Guerra sure. Bateman no.

As for the first remark..well...I was kind of waiting for that.:p

Brown has played on Riewoldt more times than he has on Milne, Guerra did start last time IIRC but was pulled because his turning circle becomes a liability, normally it's Chance.

Was logic yours? Or common sense?

Because that was NEVER going to happen.

I know it was never going to happen, but that's irrelevant to the post that I was replying to.

For mine Hawthorn will win easily.

But there is one thing that no-one has mentioned yet.
Hawthorn had the luxury in the first week of finals knowing that if they lost they had another chance and perhaps played accordingly with flair and freedom.
This week??? In the words of Apollo Creed in Rocky III - 'There is no tomorrow'. Although Saints did what they had to do and beat Collingwood they now have the experience of winning a cut throat final.

(Remember last year Geelong and Collingwood preliminary. Pies almost pinched it, they played out of their skins and Geelong almost choked to death with the pressure of the occassion)

I know it was never going to happen, but that's irrelevant to the post that I was replying to.

For mine Hawthorn will win easily.

But there is one thing that no-one has mentioned yet.
Hawthorn had the luxury in the first week of finals knowing that if they lost they had another chance and perhaps played accordingly with flair and freedom.
This week??? In the words of Apollo Creed in Rocky III - 'There is no tomorrow'. Although Saints did what they had to do and beat Collingwood they now have the experience of winning a cut throat final.

(Remember last year Geelong and Collingwood preliminary. Pies almost pinched it, they played out of their skins and Geelong almost choked to death with the pressure of the occassion)

I think this is a great point. There is a somewhat fair argument to say that the Saints aren't expected to win so they have no pressure on them. I guess there is another argument that the Hawks have one of the youngest lists and it could be argued that they are ahead of schedule where as Saints will lose a few over the next few years and so need to make hay soon so the pressure is on them.

This is why finals are so great. The pressure goes up, the stakes go up, the disappoint for the loser is greater and the winners reward is greater!

Can we just skip the next 4 -5 days? Anyone have a machine to make that happen? :p:p

Something I picked up from the AGE this morning.

Since 2000 when the finals system was last revamped 13 of the 16 prelims have been won by teams that had the week off. The other three all went on to win the Grand Final, ie. Brisbane (2003), Sydney & West Coast.

So maybe we should ask the question: Are the Saints good enough to win the Premiership?

I think this is a great point. There is a somewhat fair argument to say that the Saints aren't expected to win so they have no pressure on them. I guess there is another argument that the Hawks have one of the youngest lists and it could be argued that they are ahead of schedule where as Saints will lose a few over the next few years and so need to make hay soon so the pressure is on them.

This is why finals are so great. The pressure goes up, the stakes go up, the disappoint for the loser is greater and the winners reward is greater!

Can we just skip the next 4 -5 days? Anyone have a machine to make that happen? :p:p

laphroaig.jpg

Interesting reading,, ,,,,, I agree that what happened in Rd 16 is not much of an indicator for predicting the outcome of this match. From a Hawthorn prespective it is probably a good thing they won back then, as the saints can now be guaranteed a fired up HAWTHORN side ready to make amends for that loss. Finals is a different game and so far this Hawthorn side is showing some great signs of becoming a force to be reckoned with. This season we achieved a lot of milestones, including a great win in Adelaide (which we hadn't done for 14yrs or something). We had a couple of hickups along the way however these occurred in games where we generally had little to play for. This Sat we will find out how far these hawks have come from last year where we put in a poor showing against the Kangaroos.
The "Buddy Factor" as good as he is, we are not reliant on him to win games, ie Adelaide victory, he only kicked like 1 goal or something. But hard not to get excited when he is kicking goals around his body from outside 50m.

Expect a great game, Hope Hawks win!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Can The Saints Derail The Hawks???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back