Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Timmy Watson knifed Knights, #StoodByHird and will no doubt be the eminence grise involved in the next cchoice of coach.

Surely he puts his hand up to coa ... oh that's right.

Last night will hurt Worsfolds chances of coaching in 2020, but it's not common that coaches get sacked after making the finals.
Considering the injuries he had to work around this year I'd give him the benefit of the doubt for 2020, but the Bombers have been in this same position for 3 years now, and they really need to start making some progress.

We can blame coaches all we like but at some point the players need to stop being like margarine and take responsibility for their actions.
There’s truth in that but to be honest the club picks who plays each week and who it recruits/moves on at the end of the year. Some of their recruits haven’t exactly been models of consistency and hardness at their previous clubs.

Might need a rethink about who comes in and who leaves the club from now on.

Saw Hardwick speak at an event last week and he talked a lot about what the club had to change between 2016 and 2017 to turn things around.

Managed to get a bunch of talented underperformers to turn into a consistent outfit but it took a serious overhaul in the way things were done in the off season. We never know what goes on inside footy clubs but can’t help but get the feeling not much has changed under Worsfold the last few years.

You guys weren't that convincing getting into the finals and were badly outclassed on the night by a far better team (too good to be playing an Elimination Final IMO).
That shouldn't be the last straw for dumping Whoosha.

I still think two finals in three seasons (not counting 2016 as I don't think any coach could've done anything with that list) is an OK effort with a solid but not elite list. IMO Essendon have bigger problems and dumping Worsford for say...Ross Lyon won't help. Will struggle to survive 2020 if he doesn't improve though.

Ok what if we have another poor year and still no finals win then what?

Then he’s out of contract and you have a look at whether he’s the right man for the job.

The way he’s been treated by the club’s media shills this year has been complete shit - basically calling for his head after every loss and ‘saving his job’ after every win.

Essendon have a middle of the road list and have had for a very long time - they are pretty much where they should be.

Then he’s out of contract and you have a look at whether he’s the right man for the job.

The way he’s been treated by the club’s media shills this year has been complete s**t - basically calling for his head after every loss and ‘saving his job’ after every win.

Essendon have a middle of the road list and have had for a very long time - they are pretty much where they should be.
Just asking, why did West Coast get rid of him if he's still got what it takes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon should be looking at a tough coach like Ross Lyon who can get the best out of an under performing group of players.I fear if you stay with Worsfield it will be another wasted year!

You guys weren't that convincing getting into the finals and were badly outclassed on the night by a far better team (too good to be playing an Elimination Final IMO).
That shouldn't be the last straw for dumping Whoosha.
Of course it should. 3 years and he's gone backwards.

That's not good enough.

Having said that watch him be dumped while Adrian ****ing Dodoro skates through.

Gone by 4pm Monday. Slyin’ Lyon will be appointed coach by Wednesday.

I love this idea. Woosha has been disrespected and treated like crap by the Essendon Football Club and its supporters. After taking the reigns during the clubs darkest hour and guiding them back to 2 finals series in 3 years you would think they would be appreciative of everything he has done.

Sacking Worsfold and appointing Ross Lyon is the most Essington thing ever.

If he gets sacked, it could potentially be like Ratten at Carlton. You won't know what your missing till the next coach comes in.

Speaking of Ratts getting sacked at Carlton, Malthouse has recently signaled interest in reviving his coaching career at AFL level.

He may just be the antidote to the soft underbelly at Essenton.

They really didin't have a sound plan last night, either that or the players are simply incapable of carrying it out? Hawthorn had the blue print two weeks earlier, but the Bombers looked out of their depth, just running around looking flash and going nowhere, their ball movement and execution was no where near that of the Eagles who are probably the best field kicking team in the comeptition. Worsfold should put in for the Freo job, he's toast at Tullamarine!

Last edited:
They really didin't have a sound plan last night, either that or the players are simply incapable of carrying it out? Hawthorn had the blue print two weeks earlier, but the Bombers looked out of their depth, just running looking flash and going nowhere, their ball movement and execution was no where near that of the Eagles who are probably the best field kicking team in the comeptition. Worsfold should put in for the Freo job, he's toast at Tullamarine!

Agree with all of this. I'm just not sure how Worsfold can develop a game plan with a list that lack in basic football skills. I haven't seen Essendon play much this year, but I was shocked and a little scared when I saw how fast they were in the first 5 or so minutes of the game. Then I saw them kicking the ball and relaxed a fair bit.

Essendon will not be a Premiership force for the next 5 years as a consequence of the clubs actions in 2013, the fallout of which is still being felt. I don't know if any coach could have done better than Woosha in the last 3 years, considering what he has had to work with.

Speaking of Ratts getting sacked at Carlton, Malthouse has recently signaled interest in reviving his coaching career at AFL level.

He may just be the antidote to the soft underbelly at Essenton.

Maybe we'll get to see Daisy play on next year after all...
We can take Tippa after he gets forced out to make room ;-)

Ross is the man for Dons. Good core of players to work with, they need a defense first game plan to underpin their pretty good attacking verve. The team needs stronger structures and clear directives, Ross will give that.

The problem is the Dons have too many vocal ex players with too much influence. The last time they were listened to it was disastrous, at all costs they should now be met with deaf ears and let unemotional and wiser counsel prevail.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back