Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love this idea. Woosha has been disrespected and treated like crap by the Essendon Football Club and its supporters. After taking the reigns during the clubs darkest hour and guiding them back to 2 finals series in 3 years you would think they would be appreciative of everything he has done.

Sacking Worsfold and appointing Ross Lyon is the most Essington thing ever.

Agree with all of this. I'm just not sure how Worsfold can develop a game plan with a list that lack in basic football skills. I haven't seen Essendon play much this year, but I was shocked and a little scared when I saw how fast they were in the first 5 or so minutes of the game. Then I saw them kicking the ball and relaxed a fair bit.

Essendon will not be a Premiership force for the next 5 years as a consequence of the clubs actions in 2013, the fallout of which is still being felt. I don't know if any coach could have done better than Woosha in the last 3 years, considering what he has had to work with.

I couldn't imagine a worse fit. Lyon needs a team with good skills. Essendon needs a coach to teach them basic kicking efficiency.

He doesn’t have a whole lot to work with. If you thought that the Essendon football club would just waltz in to the finals again and be competitive after the sh*tshow that was the doping scandal, that’s incredibly naive.

The club needed to be built from the inside out again after being completely destroyed by the golden haired child. Maybe Woosha needs to be moved on, but Essendon should be eternally grateful for leading the club through its darkest hour. Not dragged through the mud for “only”reachin finals 2/3 years

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No coach can take the Essendon team from last night to top 4 in one season...

How about you go a re-sign your favourite son James Hird as Senior Coach next year. Look at what a bang up job he did.

No but really, what’s your opinion here?

I think the point I am trying to make is, Essendon is no good at football and need to have a bit more respect for Premiership coach John Worsfold.

But srsly, quit stalking me...

Yes, I read one page of a thread about my team and I’m stalking you.

Where you felt the need to repeat your same boring point six times.

Nobody cares. You’re just clogging things up.

How about you go a re-sign your favourite son James Hird as Senior Coach next year. Look at what a bang up job he did.

Or we get a coach who's all about defensive pressure and also does not accept loses like last night. The first few words that can out his mouth in his presser last night was "learnings" it's all about the learnings.

Spare me John

Or we get a coach who's all about defensive pressure and contested footy and also won't tolerate crap like last night

I am pretty sure Woosha knows all about defensive pressure...

It's not the coach. It's the club. There's no silver bullet here mate, Essendon Football Club needs to take it's medicine.

It's not the coach. It's the club

While i agree with you that the club has issues can you explain to me why Worsfold has implemented a gameplan that relies on turnovers in our own defensive half and is also very relient on 2 players in particular to then move the ball through the middle in a helter skelter like fashion?

The whole football world knows this gamestyle is floored yet Worsfold implented it and still continues to do so despite failing against all the good teams time and time again.

We certainly have other issues and the players themselves are far from immune to criticism but his gameplan does not stack up.

While i agree with you that the club has issues can you explain to me why Worsfold has implemented a gameplan that relies on turnovers in our own defensive half and is also very relient on 2 players in particular to then move the ball through the middle in a helter skelter like fashion?

The whole football world knows this gamestyle is floored yet Worsfold implented it and still continues to do so despite failing against all the good teams time and time again.

He needs to change how we play it's just not sustainable against the top sides. Hardwick was in a similar spot he then realised that he had to change because what he was doing previously wasn't working. Worsfold needs to do the same imo,

I might be wrong, but I don't think the ball repeatedly goes in to Essendon's D50 and Woosha is sitting in the coaches box saying "yes, this all going to plan". Running off half back is the result of losing so many contests in the middle, and the players using the skills they have to get it out.

It is easy to say "Woosha should do this or that like all the top 4 clubs". The top clubs are the top clubs because they have all their ducks in a row. None of the big clubs are coming off of scandals which decimated them just a few years before.

He needs to change how we play it's just not sustainable against the top sides. Hardwick was in a similar spot he then realised that he had to change because what he was doing previously wasn't working. Worsfold needs to do the same imo,

Actually this is not a bad comparison. Richmond was similarly on their knees in late 80's and early 90's. It took them 20 years to rebuild and become a force again. Essendon is on the same path...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might be wrong, but I don't think the ball repeatedly goes in to Essendon's D50 and Woosha is sitting in the coaches box saying "yes, this all going to plan". Running off half back is the result of losing so many contests in the middle, and the players using the skills they have to get it out.

It is easy to say "Woosha should do this or that like all the top 4 clubs". The top clubs are the top clubs because they have all their ducks in a row. None of the big clubs are coming off of scandals which decimated them just a few years before.

Why did Worsfold get the arse from West Coast if he such a wonderful coach then? I feel like we got the Worsfold from his last year at WC.

Unless you guys manage to do a Brisbane (and really, the planets aligned for them big time), I don't know who out of the current top 5-6 you're going to overtake to get to the top 4.
Just sayin'.

Yes i conceded we had other issues than Worsfold but your comment was it's not the coach. It is a large part the coach.

He was part of the chasing and signing of Saad. A very good defensive back yet also one of the 2 that he uses to run at all costs through the middle like a maniac.

If he didn't want to play the turnover game in our defensive 50 then why do we not play a higher press? We don't press as much as other teams nor do we compress the ground into a smaller area denying them certain areas to kick the ball.

We get smashed in contested possessions every week and have only 1 way to move the ball and that is via a defensive turnover. That's where all our scores come from. Once the good teams deny us the corridor we are forced to kick up the line, like last night and don't have any good forwards, apart from McKernen if he is on, that can mark it.

Yes i conceded we had other issues than Worsfold but your comment was it's not the coach. It is a large part the coach.

He was part of the chasing and signing of Saad. A very good defensive back yet also one of the 2 that he uses to run at all costs through the middle like a maniac.

If he didn't want to play the turnover game in our defensive 50 then why do we not play a higher press? We don't press as much as other teams nor do we compress the ground into a smaller area denying them certain areas to kick the ball.

We get smashed in contested posessions every week and have only 1 way to move the ball and that is via a defensive turnover. That's where all our scores come from.
Need harder insider mids?

He
Why did Worsfold get the arse from West Coast if he such a wonderful coach then? I feel like we got the Worsfold from his last year at WC.

He resigned. I think his poor seasons post 2007 can be traced back to the culture of the club back in the mid-2000's. We lost a generation of great players and bottomed out. TBH, I am surprised looking back that we recovered from it so quick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Can Worsfold survive?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back