Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a fine summation you have come up with there Jeremias but honestly, I post my opinion on football and if that happens to be like the one I just did above, implying Carlton are not the team to watch out for (GWS a far greater chance of winning the 2024 premiership), I'm not sure why you take offense to this.

Take offense? That's a bit of a stretch. We are not premiership favorites and rightly so.

I just call out a troll when I see one. And when I don't in your case, because you conveniently disappeared for a few weeks.

Completely disagree.

They are good but they are not battle hardened. I still maintain GWS will be the biggest threat come September. When it comes to the right mix of smalls and talls, they have it set.
Carlton are very similar to Brisbane. They have the core capable of winning a flag but too much reliance on a select few. GWS also have this issue but not to the same extent Carlton have.

Sydney are a strange one. Right now look the best in it but if it was a final, a couple of teams would knock them off even if played at the SCG.

To be fair, every team has its pro's and con's. Carlton is the one team who look threatening enough to challenge Sydney when it comes to a wet preliminary final at the MCG

Again, it does not disturb me at all. It does surprise me because for starters, Carlton have only played in one finals series with this current group.

Not sure why it surprises you.

I mean I know why, but you don’t like being called out for it, so we will move on.

We had a terrific 2nd half of last season, and seem to have gone to another level in 2024.

Yeah, I’m going to say it disturbs you. That much is obvious.

If you look at the history of this sport, seldom rarely does a team end up winning the premiership on the back of very little finals exposure.

That’s great. We were also going to bow out in the elimination final last year because we had no finals experience.

Turns out, history can be an indicator, but does not always repeat.

Carlton may not win the premiership, but we are 2nd on the ladder and a decent chance to stay there.

The OP is spot on, we can win the premiership. Head in sand stuff to suggest otherwise.

Do you have statistics to back up this statement?

I don't need statistics. I watch them every week.

Navigated through a tough draw and an at times lengthy injury list, and sit 2nd on the ladder through 17 rounds.

Some teams have regressed, other teams have improved. The competition is very even and anything can happen, but right now we sit 2nd on the ladder.

The rest is just fluff from you, and barely worth acknowledging, let alone picking apart.

Take offense? That's a bit of a stretch. We are not premiership favorites and rightly so.

I just call out a troll when I see one. And when I don't in your case, because you conveniently disappeared for a few weeks.
Moving back onto actual football matters (it's getting really personal):

All the weekend really showed is that Carlton's best football is premiership-standard (or thereabouts), while their worst would see them lose finals to any team that qualifies. Something that was fairly obvious from the season so far anyway.

It's more likely we get something closer to the best come September, I think, so Carlton are rightly remaining in the top couple of contenders. Their ceiling is higher than most teams in the current top 8.

All the weekend really showed is that Carlton's best football is premiership-standard (or thereabouts), while their worst would see them lose finals to any team that qualifies.

It's more likely we get something closer to the best come September, I think, so Carlton are rightly remaining in the top couple of contenders.

This is spot on and fairly obvious. We may win it, we may not, but it looks as though we're going to give ourselves every chance.

This is spot on and fairly obvious. We may win it, we may not, but it looks as though we're going to give ourselves every chance.
FWIW Tilly is basically on his lonesome among Geelong supporters as far as not considering Carlton one of the top contenders.

Big, fired up Melbourne-based team with a collection of stars and on-the-rise role players is a good recipe for September success. Especially if they can win through and play each final at the G.

Sydney I remain bullish on but they do need to prove they can beat a Victorian side at the G in a grand final after the last 3 failed attempts. There shouldn't be a hoodoo with a whole new team post-2016 (thus have only failed once in a GF, as a young side in 2022), but sometimes these things can linger.

Big, fired up Melbourne-based team with a collection of stars and on-the-rise role players is a good recipe for September success. Especially if they can win through and play each final at the G.

Sydney I remain bullish on but they do need to prove they can beat a Victorian side at the G in a grand final after the last 3 failed attempts. There shouldn't be a hoodoo with a whole new team post-2016 (thus have only failed once in a GF, as a young side in 2022), but sometimes these things can linger.

Carlton are clearly a decent chance. Of course there are many who don't want to see it happen, but it is not outrageous to suggest they can win it.

Based on what we have seen, suggesting the opposite is far more unreasonable.

Carlton will fancy their chances and rightly so; but so too will a number of other clubs. And with the competition as even as it is, that is understandable.

Sydney are the team to beat right now, but there's a way to go yet and clearly they are beatable. I have queries about them, as I do every club, including Carlton.

Ultimately, it's unlikely you fall into a preliminary final. Make it that far and you can go all the way, a lot will depend on matchups. If Carlton makes top 4 and wins that first week (avoiding an interstate preliminary final), they're a great chance of going all the way against anyone.

Blues need the match ups to line up come finals imo. Speed still a deficiency of our list if we're at all banged up or missing 2-3 players which isn't really a great problem to have at the end of a tough, drawn out season.

I'd be confident vs Freo, Essendon, Geelong, Port and Collingwood

50/50 vs Sydney, GWS

Not confident at all vs Brisbane

That's not to say I think Brisbane are the best team in it, I think the Swans would destroy them and the others would be a chance too, but strength for strength they match up the best against us out of any finals teams imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton are a funny team to place. They have some really top end talent but then the bottom 4 or 5 in their 22 are very underwhelming. Guys like Ollie hollands. That guy isn't getting a game at any other afl club. Throw in Fantasia, Fogarty, Cincotta, Boyd and Cowan. Cowan may develop into something I guess and Cincotta is a tagger but yeah, they're 22 doesn't scare me at all.

Blues need the match ups to line up come finals imo. Speed still a deficiency of our list if we're at all banged up or missing 2-3 players which isn't really a great problem to have at the end of a tough, drawn out season.

I'd be confident vs Freo, Essendon, Geelong, Port and Collingwood

50/50 vs Sydney, GWS

Not confident at all vs Brisbane

That's not to say I think Brisbane are the best team in it, I think the Swans would destroy them and the others would be a chance too, but strength for strength they match up the best against us out of any finals teams imo.
Doesn't the old "win anywhere" come in to play?

Obviously I don't watch, or don't care enough to remember all the Blues losses, but why have they occurred? Crows (98-100), Cats (105-118), Magpies (79-85) and now Giants (104-116).

On the face the Crows one looks bad, from memory, the Blues had a few chances to put them away but couldn't nail it home.

I didn't see the Magpies or Cats losses but the Giants one was ugly no matter what way anyone wants to spin it. Seemed the Blues just couldn't stop the wave. 7 in a row and not one goal in almost 45 minutes of football. I wouldn't be worried enough to completely blow it up but concerning none the less.

Carlton are a funny team to place. They have some really top end talent but then the bottom 4 or 5 in their 22 are very underwhelming. Guys like Ollie hollands. That guy isn't getting a game at any other afl club. Throw in Fantasia, Fogarty, Cincotta, Boyd and Cowan. Cowan may develop into something I guess and Cincotta is a tagger but yeah, they're 22 doesn't scare me at all.
this is why the AFL is worried about what they could become. Surely its time the Blues look to Free Agency and get in some bottom 4-6 AFL players to pad out the depth. I do agree that the bottom 4, 5, 6 are no even quite role players worthy.

this is why the AFL is worried about what they could become. Surely its time the Blues look to Free Agency and get in some bottom 4-6 AFL players to pad out the depth. I do agree that the bottom 4, 5, 6 are no even quite role players worthy.
what do you mean the AFL is worried about what they could become? Lets's calm it down. You have say, 2 AA's? The dees had 5 AA's in 2021.

Ollie Hollands I can agree with, Orazio is just placeholding for others to get fit and puzzles me every time he's selected.

The rest are an absolute joke to list as not 'role player worthy'

Really think time spent analysing a teams bottom 4-5 players is a waste of time. Carlton’s loss to GWS had nothing to do with their role players letting them down it was their prime movers who didn’t deliver.

Really think time spent analysing a teams bottom 4-5 players is a waste of time. Carlton’s loss to GWS had nothing to do with their role players letting them down it was their prime movers who didn’t deliver.
Correct. Our midfield barely touched the ball for 40 minutes after pulverizing the Giants in the 1st quarter. Lachie Fogarty not being Charlie Cameron has nothing to do with that.

Carlton are the one to watch out for - They can win The Premiership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back