Carlton Blues eyeing Andrejs Everitt in trade deal with Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

May 15, 2006
Werribee
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Greg Denham | September 18, 2009

CARLTON is optimistic about its chances of recruiting out-of-favour Western Bulldogs flanker Andrejs Everitt during next month's trade week. The contracted Everitt, who is in his third season after being a first-round national draft in 2006, is understood to have been offered up to the Blues in exchange for a draft selection, and possibly a player. Carlton chief executive Greg Swan confirmed yesterday his club's interest in the younger brother of recently retired ruckman Peter Everitt, but declared the Blues would not part with its first-round pick, No11 overall.

Article in full...

Is Denham a saints supporter or something? Why print this today out of all days. Further the guy is signed for 2 more seasons, so I think Carlton are going to have to offer more then a second rounder. This article is pure drivel.

Is Denham a saints supporter or something? Why print this today out of all days. Further the guy is signed for 2 more seasons, so I think Carlton are going to have to offer more then a second rounder. This article is pure drivel.

No, Denham is a West Coat supporter.

Not so sure the article is drivel to be honest.

Everitt is a first round selection who has failed to command a regular senior game now for 2 seasons. His form hardly warrants a trade for a first rounder in my view.

No, Denham is a West Coat supporter.

Not so sure the article is drivel to be honest.

Everitt is a first round selection who has failed to command a regular senior game now for 2 seasons. His form hardly warrants a trade for a first rounder in my view.

Yeah, it's not drivel(as much as i think Denham is a douche bag). Plenty of quotes from Swan, so Carlton are seriously after him.

What player could the Blues offer in exchange?

We have nothing to gain from this! His trade value will be very low and he still has a long way to go in terms of development. His game against the pies showed that he could be a very effective, versatile player for us.
I dont see the point in this...

This is the bit that I don't understand.

CARLTON is optimistic about its chances of recruiting out-of-favour Western Bulldogs flanker Andrejs Everitt during next month's trade week

How can they be confident of recruiting him when we have only just re signed him? The only way they can be confident is if a)we are looking to trade him off or b)they are looking to offer something that would really tempt us.

TBH, it doesn't sound like a great deal from our point of view. Carltons first round pick is off the table so whats in it for us? Everitt was a first round pick so we can't be trading him off for less than that. And there are no players from Carlton that I am interested in. Their list has a high disparity in talent. They are either superstars and first round draft picks or complete duds. Not much in between.

I really believe that we should try and keep our first round draft picks. We have already lost Mc Mahon, Penny, Ray, Power, Brown etc by trading them to other clubs. Some didn't hurt us, some did. Your first round picks are potentially your 200 game players. They are the ones with the most talent. If you start trading them then IMO your chance for a premiership diminishes.

We all think Everitt has potential. I would rather see the club putting all its effort into getting the most out of him and thus we have a quality ten year player, then just going for the easy option of trading him to Carlton. As a club we strive to recruit talent. When we get talent, lets try to a)keep it and b)maximise it.

I know for a fact that Melbourne have been watching him in the VFL this year. Sending someone out specifically to watch him play.

Is it really so unreasonable to suggest that you might accept pick 27 for a guy who can't get a regular game?

How much do you want for a player who isn't best 22 after three years in the system?

Surely you don't think your fringe players command a first-rounder in return. Keep it real.

Wouldn't have thought we'd be willing to let go of a kid that has been handed the no. 3, despite a few hiccups in his developmwnt recently.

Is it really so unreasonable to suggest that you might accept pick 27 for a guy who can't get a regular game?

How much do you want for a player who isn't best 22 after three years in the system?

Surely you don't think your fringe players command a first-rounder in return. Keep it real.

He is not getting a game purely because we are playing our experienced players to try and grab a flag. If we were not a top four side, he would have been given more games than now.

He is a fringe player at the moment, but he is not a fringe player because of ability. He is a fringe player because of lack of opportunities as well as lack of consistency. We have an older list at the moment. Soon, there will be many opportunities open up for our young talent, and he would be one of the most talented youngster we have at the club.

So, no, I wouldn't be trading him for pick 27. Would be a backward step and a loss in my eyes. The potential for Everitt is miles higher than the potential would be for a pick 27 in a shallow draft.

He is not getting a game purely because we are playing our experienced players to try and grab a flag. If we were not a top four side, he would have been given more games than now.

He is a fringe player at the moment, but he is not a fringe player because of ability. He is a fringe player because of lack of opportunities as well as lack of consistency. We have an older list at the moment. Soon, there will be many opportunities open up for our young talent, and he would be one of the most talented youngster we have at the club.

So, no, I wouldn't be trading him for pick 27. Would be a backward step and a loss in my eyes. The potential for Everitt is miles higher than the potential would be for a pick 27 in a shallow draft.

Agree with that, he still has big upside and we would have wasted 3 years of development if we trade him now, I would be hugely disappointed especially considering he is contracted so unlike last year with Ray Bulldogs hold the playing cards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree with that, he still has big upside and we would have wasted 3 years of development if we trade him now, I would be hugely disappointed especially considering he is contracted so unlike last year with Ray Bulldogs hold the playing cards.

I agree with that. It makes no sense to me to draft a talented player with your first round draft pick, develop him for three years, then trade him for a second round pick just as he is on the verge of becoming a regular player. Completely illogical.

If you are going to trade players out, you do it when they have reached their peak and just about to slide. You don't trade them before they have even started to climb their performance peak.

Again, as with the Kangaroos (re Gibson) - Carlton have put Shaun Grigg and Steven Browne on the table.

Pass, only thing Carlton has that Dogs would want (Besides untouchables Fev, Murphy, Judd etc) would be Bower and Carlton need him.

I agree with that. It makes no sense to me to draft a talented player with your first round draft pick, develop him for three years, then trade him for a second round pick just as he is on the verge of becoming a regular player. Completely illogical.

If you are going to trade players out, you do it when they have reached their peak and just about to slide. You don't trade them before they have even started to climb their performance peak.
But is he on the verge of becoming a regular player?

He's been overlooked a bit this season.

Again, as with the Kangaroos (re Gibson) - Carlton have put Shaun Grigg and Steven Browne on the table.

No offence but Grigg and Browne have nowhere near the talent that Everitt does. Would be a pigs backside of a deal if we did that one.

As said before, there is no player that Carlton have that I really want. Your top end talent is great, it is depth of talent which is your problem. If a player was talented, he would be in your best 22 and you wouldn't be trading him.

No offence but Grigg and Browne have nowhere near the talent that Everitt does. Would be a pigs backside of a deal if we did that one.

As said before, there is no player that Carlton have that I really want. Your top end talent is great, it is depth of talent which is your problem. If a player was talented, he would be in your best 22 and you wouldn't be trading him.
Agree on Browne.

But if you're suggesting that Shaun Grigg doesnt have the same (if not more) talent than Everitt - then you clearly need to take the rose coloured glasses off.

Im sure even the most honest of bulldogs supporters would agree that Shaun Grigg has performed better over the journey and shown more at AFL level consistantly than Everitt.

Both drafted the same year - 8 picks apart.

I'm not here to get into a slanging match - just delivering what is being mentioned in the Carlton circles.

I think he is. I am confident that next year we will start to get some more games into some of the young guys. Everitt is one of these.

We are a very conservative selection unit. Apart from Ward, we don't really play many young players. It is not only Everitt that hasn't played much this year but also Reid, O Keefe, Wood, Stack etc etc. I think with some older players retiring and a change of philosophy towards young players, we will give players such as Everitt more games next year.

Pass, only thing Carlton has that Dogs would want (Besides untouchables Fev, Murphy, Judd etc) would be Bower and Carlton need him.

We would be after Setanta aswell.

Of course he is. He has played the most of any of the young guys knocking on the door.

Agree on Browne.

But if you're suggesting that Shaun Grigg doesnt have the same (if not more) talent than Everitt - then you clearly need to take the rose coloured glasses off.

Im sure even the most honest of bulldogs supporters would agree that Shaun Grigg has performed better over the journed and shown more at AFL level consistantly than Everitt.

I'm not here to get into a slanging match - just delivering what is being mentioned in the Carlton circles.

Okay, you would probably know Griggs abilities more than I. I don't really rate him as highly as Everitt, but I see Everitt a lot more than Grigg.

Agree on Browne.

Im sure even the most honest of bulldogs supporters would agree that Shaun Grigg has performed better over the journey and shown more at AFL level consistantly than Everitt.

Grigg has certainly delivered more, but is he what the buldogs need, no he would be surplus and play a lot of VFL.

We would be after Setanta aswell.

Not as a straight swap, last year Dogs scoffed at Carlton's request for second round pick for Sultana, and rightfully so.

Agree on Browne.

I don't think Grigg has anywhere near the upside of Everitt. Why did Grigg only play 9 games this year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton Blues eyeing Andrejs Everitt in trade deal with Bulldogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back